London to Baja California ~ across America

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tuesday 25 December Day 12 ~  Christmas Day on the rails - continuedFrance ~ Tuesday 12 February 2019

Rosie up well before 7am, me later. Just getting into one of our favourite areas of the US. Colorado round the corner into New Mexico and Arizona. We never tire of travelling through here, ever.

We breakfast and Jimmy turns up before we're done, this starts a more or less non stop conversation ending as Jimmy gets into his sisters car at Albuquerque about 6 hours later. Now this man has had an extraordinary life, not all good but extraordinary by any standards.

First there's a pause as we arrive a little early in Raton NM and have chance to take some time outside, where lo and behold is Santa Claus. Why he and his Elf helper are there we'll never know, but it made the few children happy, and some of the grown-up kids too.

What doesn't this Raton store sell. To us it looks so American west as though it were a movie set.

1 2s66397a.jpg

We're on the move again in the Sight Seeing Lounge (SSL), Jimmy starts to tell his story but jumping backwards and forwards so sometimes difficult to follow. Basically he's a professional musician, plays guitar usually on someone else's recordings. His speciality is blues music, I think Delta Blues if I have that right. It's ok to mention this but he is an alcoholic too, but has been dry for 10 years now.

His other passion is cars, in particular Ferrari. His dad was heavily involved in getting Ferraris to race at Indianapolis, he was involved in a couple of race teams including a team that raced in the 24 Hours at Le Mans, and won the junior class 3 times too!

He grew up with music, his whole family were artistic or musical, his dad was mad keen on Italian fast car engineering. Jimmy went everywhere with his dad, met lots and lots of very famous people through racing. When he started playing music professionally music and fast cars often cropped up in the same place, he spent time with a lot of famous people.

He and I had European cars in common, me not anywhere near to his experience but a little. At least when he mentioned a race, a driver or a car there was a good chance I'd know a little too, but although I like blues music that's where our similarity stopped in music.

I'm not going to name drop on his behalf but he mentioned so many people we all know of, they were all in passing as he appears to exist in a very transient world. I was impressed he played with Muddy Waters though, he will have been fairly young too.

While Jimmy and I are in deep conversation we arrive at Las Vegas NM, where Rosie caught this scene.

Happy Christmas

1 3n11709a.jpg

Rosie turns off and day dreams if there is too much car talk, but didn't forget we had to go to Christmas Dinner (lunch) in the diner. The three of us eat together and talk non car, but as soon as the meal is over it's back to life again. Who you bump into at AA, have you driven a Dino Ferrari, families etc etc etc.

View from an Amtrak diner window, just perfect

1 4s66404a.jpg

Christmas Dinner, which was different but still tasty 

1 5n11715a.jpg

Still intense

1 6n11690a.jpg

As we neared Albuquerque Jimmy became preoccupied and a little edgy, he was worried that his mum wouldn't recognise him at all, she barely did 6 months earlier as she has full dementia. At 97 it wasn't a surprise, but still very upsetting.

We arrive at Albuquerque he is ready to leave, I offer to walk out to the front of the station with him to wait for his sister to arrive, he's almost unsure of himself. As we get to the road his sister turns into the parking area. Say hello to her, big hand shake from Jimmy and then I have to go.  

People that you meet on trains...

1 7n11721a.jpg

We receive a Happy Christmas text from friends in NYC, very nice they thought to send that. Rosie thinks it feels slightly bizarre riding on a train through the high plains of New Mexico looking at semi desert and receiving a message on Christmas Day from an American city a long long way away. We've got to try harder to keep up with the modern world girl.

Scenery is really good, mountains away to our right some with snow, and varied plain and hill to mountain country to our left. The Adobe buildings from time to time are a favourite of Rosie, it is a very good day.

A few photos of New Mexico at sunset on Christmas Day. The golden trees were exactly that colour, quite amazing.

1 8s66413a.jpg

1 9n11727a.jpg

1 10s66429a.jpg

1 11s66432a.jpg

Dinner in the diner. Sat with two women, elderly mother and daughter from Santa Monica. Mother was from Galway, Ireland and left when she was 18. Travelled alone by ship to NYC, 13 days on the ship. Then found her way onto a plane to fly to join her sister in San Francisco. She said all her brothers and sisters left Ireland, either to London or the USA. We told mother that we had visited both Cobh near Cork where she had sailed from, and Ellis Island where she thinks she arrived at. She did mention seeing Liberty as they arrived and what a wondrous sight it had been.

Not sure how the conversation started but they talked about homeless people in Santa Monica. The daughter told us various stories and situations about those people who sleep on the beach but must move away when it's light, and those that sleep in various corners near to housing, as they feel 'safer' in Santa Monica than other areas. They said the numbers keep rising and no one appears to have an answer. Homelessness is our passion so will leave the conversation there, don't want to politicise this thread.

Back to our room, each had a good shower, last cup of tea and we're ready for bed and arriving in LA in the morning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tuesday 25 December Day 12 ~  Christmas Day on the rails - continuedFrance ~ Tuesday 12 February 2019

Rosie up well before 7am, me later. Just getting into one of our favourite areas of the US. Colorado round the corner into New Mexico and Arizona. We never tire of travelling through here, ever.

We breakfast and Jimmy turns up before we're done, this starts a more or less non stop conversation ending as Jimmy gets into his sisters car at Albuquerque about 6 hours later. Now this man has had an extraordinary life, not all good but extraordinary by any standards.

First there's a pause as we arrive a little early in Raton NM and have chance to take some time outside, where lo and behold is Santa Claus. Why he and his Elf helper are there we'll never know, but it made the few children happy, and some of the grown-up kids too.

What doesn't this Raton store sell. To us it looks so American west as though it were a movie set.

View attachment 12425

We're on the move again in the Sight Seeing Lounge (SSL), Jimmy starts to tell his story but jumping backwards and forwards so sometimes difficult to follow. Basically he's a professional musician, plays guitar usually on someone else's recordings. His speciality is blues music, I think Delta Blues if I have that right. It's ok to mention this but he is an alcoholic too, but has been dry for 10 years now.

His other passion is cars, in particular Ferrari. His dad was heavily involved in getting Ferraris to race at Indianapolis, he was involved in a couple of race teams including a team that raced in the 24 Hours at Le Mans, and won the junior class 3 times too!

He grew up with music, his whole family were artistic or musical, his dad was mad keen on Italian fast car engineering. Jimmy went everywhere with his dad, met lots and lots of very famous people through racing. When he started playing music professionally music and fast cars often cropped up in the same place, he spent time with a lot of famous people.

He and I had European cars in common, me not anywhere near to his experience but a little. At least when he mentioned a race, a driver or a car there was a good chance I'd know a little too, but although I like blues music that's where our similarity stopped in music.

I'm not going to name drop on his behalf but he mentioned so many people we all know of, they were all in passing as he appears to exist in a very transient world. I was impressed he played with Muddy Waters though, he will have been fairly young too.

While Jimmy and I are in deep conversation we arrive at Las Vegas NM, where Rosie caught this scene.

Happy Christmas

View attachment 12426

Rosie turns off and day dreams if there is too much car talk, but didn't forget we had to go to Christmas Dinner (lunch) in the diner. The three of us eat together and talk non car, but as soon as the meal is over it's back to life again. Who you bump into at AA, have you driven a Dino Ferrari, families etc etc etc.

View from an Amtrak diner window, just perfect

View attachment 12427

Christmas Dinner, which was different but still tasty 

View attachment 12428

Still intense

View attachment 12429

As we neared Albuquerque Jimmy became preoccupied and a little edgy, he was worried that his mum wouldn't recognise him at all, she barely did 6 months earlier as she has full dementia. At 97 it wasn't a surprise, but still very upsetting.

We arrive at Albuquerque he is ready to leave, I offer to walk out to the front of the station with him to wait for his sister to arrive, he's almost unsure of himself. As we get to the road his sister turns into the parking area. Say hello to her, big hand shake from Jimmy and then I have to go.  

People that you meet on trains...

View attachment 12430

We receive a Happy Christmas text from friends in NYC, very nice they thought to send that. Rosie thinks it feels slightly bizarre riding on a train through the high plains of New Mexico looking at semi desert and receiving a message on Christmas Day from an American city a long long way away. We've got to try harder to keep up with the modern world girl.

Scenery is really good, mountains away to our right some with snow, and varied plain and hill to mountain country to our left. The Adobe buildings from time to time are a favourite of Rosie, it is a very good day.

A few photos of New Mexico at sunset on Christmas Day. The golden trees were exactly that colour, quite amazing.

View attachment 12431

View attachment 12432

View attachment 12433

View attachment 12434

Dinner in the diner. Sat with two women, elderly mother and daughter from Santa Monica. Mother was from Galway, Ireland and left when she was 18. Travelled alone by ship to NYC, 13 days on the ship. Then found her way onto a plane to fly to join her sister in San Francisco. She said all her brothers and sisters left Ireland, either to London or the USA. We told mother that we had visited both Cobh near Cork where she had sailed from, and Ellis Island where she thinks she arrived at. She did mention seeing Liberty as they arrived and what a wondrous sight it had been.

Not sure how the conversation started but they talked about homeless people in Santa Monica. The daughter told us various stories and situations about those people who sleep on the beach but must move away when it's light, and those that sleep in various corners near to housing, as they feel 'safer' in Santa Monica than other areas. They said the numbers keep rising and no one appears to have an answer. Homelessness is our passion so will leave the conversation there, don't want to politicise this thread.

Back to our room, each had a good shower, last cup of tea and we're ready for bed and arriving in LA in the morning.
Wow. Absolutely amazing writing and pictures. Particular loved those golden trees, the dining car, and the cowboy giving that lady a hug. Well done. :)

Mr cpotisch, now you are embarrassing us, but thank you very much all the same

ps: Didn't mean to be ungracious, just don't handle praise very well

Jamie, you said "one last cup of tea." I am a tea drinker, too, and it's always a puzzle how to get tea other than at meals, when I am in a roomette. Do you pay for it in the cafe? Ask for hot water in the diner? Or bring along a hot pot (or coil heater) and make your own? I have done the first two, but not the third.

Once, and only once, my SCA brought an electric teakettle and left it available (with many snacks and magazines) in his roomette #1. That was the wonderful Charles, on the Empire Builder. I wonder if he is still with Amtrak? Every other time, I have had to scheme and put up with the waste of styrofoam cups, even though I always have my own travel mug with me. I usually bring my own teabags, as well.

One of the problems that I find with "American tea" is that folk try to make it with hot water, rather than fully boiling temperature water.

I always carry my trusty travel kettle, dual voltage, and P.G. teabags no matter where I go!

One can get hot water from the cafe car at most times, sadly it is not boiling... :D

Interestingly, I stayed at the Santa Monica hostel a few years ago, and got into conversation with an outreach guy helping the homeless. I guess if one is homeless and down on one's luck at least the weather in that area is better than most places.

Ed.

You obviously run into a lot of interesting characters who talk at length about many curious subjects.  Have you ever considered creating a blog or book with more transparent writing and fewer filters?

Wednesday 26 December Day 13 ~  Arrival in Los AngelesFrance ~ Wednesday 13 February 2019

We were told that freight didn't run on Christmas Day, apparently the only day it doesn't run? This must be the reason we were early nearly everywhere and had longish stops at places there were not supposed to be stops.

Almost at the stroke of midnight the freight started, so we waited in a siding? which feels normal. That happened a couple of times in succession. Even though we were at the mercy of freight schedules again we still arrived in LAX Union Station 40 minutes early, at 07:20am.

We had really enjoyed our Amtrak Christmas train journey, not so different to any other winter journey except the amount of people travelling to be with family, this seemed to lift the atmosphere to jolly.

Very pleased to have reached LA, it's our favourite station in the US. The sky was bright southern California blue, palm trees just outside, and our dear friend Milton was standing waiting for us clutching a board with words on, but in code...  He was a scientist after all and obviously likes to mentally challenge us. Have to admit Rosie broke the code 'Rosie and Jamie welcome back'  She a primary teacher, me only Uncle Jamie

s67295a.jpg

We subsequently learnt that he had to drive to 3 different Wal-Mart's to get all the correct letters too.

We did wonder how he managed to know when to get to the station as we were so early, he used a tracker but not sure which one.

Milton is not a morning person, but must have got up very early and to make sure to meet us, it's about an hour and a quarter drive on a good day. We did write for him not to worry about meeting us as we knew early mornings were not his strong point and it was easy for us to get to Chatsworth his nearest station. From there it was a single bus to within 100 yards of his condo, no big deal.

But he decided we'd like to be met and we did, a very happy reunion.

By 9 o'clock we were drinking tea at chez Milton, much to catch up on, 9 months of news and tomorrow we were all off again.

Contacted Norma, Milton's friend for 50 years and we all go to breakfast at Mimi's. Some of us over-ate, some were more reserved. It was a lovely breakfast eating with these two people who are so full of life.

The busy section of the large table

n11739a.jpg

Both Norma and Milton had big news indeed. She was moving after living at her home for more than 40 years, moving to the south of LA as it's not so built up. She was doing this with gusto, organising her new-old place to be remodelled, selling her existing home and arranging all sorts of other things, she's 89 looks 75 and acts 60.

Milton had very big news. He was giving up active farming and will just mow his 500 acres that are not woodlands, he wont grow any more crops. We had worried about him for the last few years as all his part time hands/friends are nearly as old as he is, and a haystack had fallen on him last year too.

He can't give up his farm, it's where he was born and wants to stay the rest of his life, and doesn't want to watch out the window seeing someone else farming it either. It was his parents farm, he took it over when he retired from rocketing, paid them for the place and bought back all the pieces his mum and dad sold off to put all the kids through college.

Now he will buy the easiest large mower he can, attach it to his largest tractor and poodle around 3 times a year to keep it looking good, we told him it was a splendid idea.

Not much else today as we had to be off early tomorrow, another Queen Mary awaits.

Jamie, you said "one last cup of tea." I am a tea drinker, too, and it's always a puzzle how to get tea other than at meals, when I am in a roomette. Do you pay for it in the cafe? Ask for hot water in the diner? Or bring along a hot pot (or coil heater) and make your own? I have done the first two, but not the third.

Once, and only once, my SCA brought an electric teakettle and left it available (with many snacks and magazines) in his roomette #1. That was the wonderful Charles, on the Empire Builder. I wonder if he is still with Amtrak? Every other time, I have had to scheme and put up with the waste of styrofoam cups, even though I always have my own travel mug with me. I usually bring my own teabags, as well.
Jennifer, for the last couple of years we have tried to cut back on bags and weight, have stopped bringing our hook on the side-of-a-cup water heater. Also means we don't have to have 2 china cups either. This year as we had extra clothes for the QM2 we said why not take it, but it had a fault and only found out on the day before we left.

As we are mostly in sleeper we get 6 cups of tea each day with meals, for the rest we buy in the café car.

As Ed and Mr Potisch mention, tea water should be boiling, it makes a difference. Like Ed we carry tea bags with us too, just a different make, Yorkshire. We have never been to India but we all know Ed has a lot, he has obviously refined his taste for tea there. For travelling we are happy with Liptons Black or Breakfast tea when drinking out.

One of the problems that I find with "American tea" is that folk try to make it with hot water, rather than fully boiling temperature water.

I always carry my trusty travel kettle, dual voltage, and P.G. teabags no matter where I go!

One can get hot water from the cafe car at most times, sadly it is not boiling... :D

Interestingly, I stayed at the Santa Monica hostel a few years ago, and got into conversation with an outreach guy helping the homeless. I guess if one is homeless and down on one's luck at least the weather in that area is better than most places.

Ed.
In agreement with you on tea Ed, but have not got your high taste. My granddad was a soldier in India about 1900 on, he was there about 10 years. He taught all the grand kids how to make tea properly just as he had my mum and her siblings.

The homeless we have talked with in western US say they live on the west coast for just that reason, and the people are more liberal which gives them an easier time.

You obviously run into a lot of interesting characters who talk at length about many curious subjects.  Have you ever considered creating a blog or book with more transparent writing and fewer filters?
No never DA, I'm not a writer and in effect only write here as I was asked to.

So many people get help on this forum even though we ask some pretty dumb questions of the experts and experienced. Personally have always had so much help whenever I asked which has always enhanced our journeys, so how could I not try to write about our little adventures if it pleases people here. Giving something back. Have to add quite enjoy writing now but it takes a lot of time as we still work, and we are living in the strange world of Brexit too.

After having a conversation with anyone, the last thing they will think of is it will be written about for others to read. Except for friends I always try very hard not to identify anyone, just not fair on them.

I'd like to add. We meet quite a few extraordinary people, and they don't have to be famous, rich or highly intelligent to be extraordinary, but we all know that. There is something interesting in everyone if they are prepared to talk. Some of the most memorable people in our travels were poor, that's sometimes very poor or in a bad situation.

Don't know how it happens so frequently, but perhaps this is the reason? When travelling we always have time for other people, we don't have a lot of money but when on a journey we are rich in time. Most people travel for work or need to get somewhere in a hurry. We are prepared to modify the next hour or next day's plans if the circumstances warrant it, and we are interested in everything and every one at one level or another.

How do you meet people?

I always make my Chai with actual boiling water. :D
Where did you learn that?

My grandmother and mother both had tea kettles. When I was little, I loved the sound they made. (I still love that sound, actually.)

When I lived in the dorms, I could only use a microwave, so that meant microwaving a cup of water until it was really hot. I think this is how most Americans "prepare" tea.

Once I was older and moved into my own place, I bought a proper tea kettle. I use it for tea and hot chocolate.

I understand that remarks about my taste in teabags were a little "tongue in cheek", but although a big producer of tea, most Indian tea is rather different.

Chai, mixing the milk, sugar and tea and boiling it up together is a great drink, especially masala chai, where spices are added too. 

Maybe I am "carrying coals to Newcastle", but the P.G. tea goes to India with me too. :D  

When growing up in the London area, it was quite common to hear east end folk refer to tea as a cuppa charr, I guess that came from the Indian "chai".

Milton sounds a character, let him know about felt tip marker pens for his next coded message!

Ed.

Many of the hotels I have stayed at over the last few years have drastically improved their tea offerings, often having a little set up next to the in room coffee with a number of choices. 
Part of our criteria when looking at hotels is can we make tea. There appear to be fewer microwaves and more hot water machines of various types.

Thursday 27 December Day 14  ~  Another QueenFrance ~ Saturday 16 February 2019

Milton had suggested way back that it would be interesting to book a night on the Queen Mary at Long Beach CA, we agreed but thought about the cost, we had just come off of one of those. After persevering found a superb deal for a Thursday night, Friday and Saturday were a different kettle of fish.

Up early as we had to pack a lot in. First down to Laguna Woods to take a look at Norma's soon to be new home, then drive back along the coast to Long Beach park that is across the water to the Queen Mary. From there we could see the ship in it's full glory, then round to a restaurant 'The Reef' for a late lunch before booking into the QM.

The new old home was just right for Norma's needs, in the largest gated community we had seen. Once everything was done Norma would be in heaven, good for her.

Next, along the coast road from Laguna Beach heading north to Long Beach, neither Norma or Milton had ever driven it as they were freeway and interstate freaks. We all really enjoyed the drive, although a little busy, but nothing like LA freeways.

I had previously written the route through to the park then onto the restaurant and QM parking for our GPS, but something went very wrong as we approached the park. We were on the right road but heading into the traffic the wrong way on a one way road, no exit or place to turn. Milton (the driver) didn't panic at all, and that was scary. Eventually after what felt like hours he managed to find an exit to turn around in, and in a hurry too. Well done to Milton. Gertie the GPS did get a right telling off though.

Never saw the park but did get to The Reef, phew we were all relieved. Milton thought it deserved a round of Root Beers, but he was the only taker.

The Reef is a very nice restaurant, good service, great location right on the water and nice atmosphere. We had a late lunch with plenty to talk about, and we could see the Queen Mary across the car park.

Sitting in the restaurant just pleased we had made it in one piece

n11740.jpg

Fabulous setting with good food

n11741.jpg

Milton showing us what he really wanted to do when driving the wrong way

s66452a.jpg

The view in front of us as we walk back to the car

s66456a.jpg

Then round to the QM car park, but what is a Russian submarine doing there?

s66463a.jpg

It's busy checking in but not too bad. We are allocated our rooms all on the same deck but get three very different rooms. Ours had 2 single beds with the bases touching, Norma had an outside room with a view across the water to Long Beach, Milton had the cupboard under the stairs, all were the same price.

The entrance as you come aboard. In it's own way as magnificent as the one on the QM2

s66476a.jpg

What a red carpet

s66471a.jpg

We all find our cabins cold, there is air coming out of the heating ducts but's it's cold. We check with the others and all are the same, so up to reception to ask for some heat. The next part really happened. Two sets of people in front of us, we all have the same problem cold rooms. The clerk performed this.

"OK, I'll get onto maintenance, which room number is it?" Picks up phone and says quite loudly "Maintenance, we have a cold room", at which point he takes three steps away from the desk, his voice drops to an unintelligible whisper. After talking and listening for maybe a minute or so he steps back to the desk. They are onto the problem and heat will be coming through, it will take up to 20 minutes though so be patient. Customer, pleased it may just be warm enough to take their coat off in the cabin "Thanks for helping".

By the time we are up with the same request, can we have some heating please? I've worked out what the clerk was doing, he was miming into the phone, a bit like when a young child talks to an imaginary friend. So we go through the pantomime and say thanks, it was an interesting performance but out hopes sink of getting any heat. From then on this ship is known as 'Cold Mary'

It's now evening with a stiff breeze, two of the decks are open amidships to the outside, permanently. Fresh air is one description. We take a stroll around the promenade deck, what stands out is the amount of rivets that were used to build this ship, must have been millions. It's decorated with lots of lights and Christmas trees, very pretty too.

Go to dinner in the Chelsea Chowder House restaurant, a good meal we all agreed.

Check all our cabins...  freezing. One by one I turn all the heating ducts off. Some are closable if you hit the right spot, some need pullovers, or some such pushed into them, it all helps.

So that made for an early night, everyone kept their coats on in bed...

Beautiful teak decks, just like her younger sister

s66484a.jpg

Corridor to the cabins, wider than QM2 and more decorative. A lot of real wood is used.

s66490a.jpg

How about these, what looked like original Art Deco lamps above the bathroom sink

s66491a.jpg

Nice place to stay, and interesting to compare with the QM2. Shame about the icy blasts coming from the a/c, maybe the Russian sub was sabotaging things...  :D

That style of art deco moulded glass pictured above looks as though it may be by Lalique.

Ed.

Nice place to stay, and interesting to compare with the QM2. Shame about the icy blasts coming from the a/c, maybe the Russian sub was sabotaging things...  :D

That style of art deco moulded glass pictured above looks as though it may be by Lalique.

Ed.
I didn't explain it well Ed. It wasn't air conditioning, it was the warm air system blowing out cold air. The main public spaces were cold to very cold as they had these entrance ways on the port side of the ship without doors, the openings were about 25 - 30 feet wide.

Also have to say that LA was going through a real cold spell, for them a very cold spell as you can read about at the Rose Parade a few days later. Looking around the grandstand we were sitting in we could have been in Berlin in winter going by the clothes people were wearing. The cold weather added to the fact the QM had no heating over the 2 days we were on board.

See the next day's comment on the dress code at breakfast.

The lamps were part of what looked like a lot of original Art Deco fittings,  but the rivets won out for attention.

Friday 28 December Day 15  ~  exploring Queen MaryFrance ~ Sunday 17 February 2019

Good night's sleep but didn't want to get out of bed, and how brave have you got to be to wash in this cool cabin. Then it hit us, use the hair dryer in the bathroom. Bingo! the bathroom was the place to be with the hair dryer going full blast constantly. Made us laugh to think of the power surge there must be onboard if everyone has the same idea when they woke.

Off to breakfast with a striking view across the mouth of the Los Angeles river to Long Beach, almost matches riding in an Amtrak diner. Rosie picked up on the restaurant staff were working with fleece jackets and scarves on, so it wasn't only us then.

We make a plan, Milton and I take the bags across to the car so our rooms are empty, then spend the morning looking around Cold Mary.

From the QM car park, a stately ship indeed

s66492a.jpg

Seen on a beautiful clear day the ship looked at it's best. Lots of nooks and crannies, history and craftsmen workmanship to be seen.  The interior design was started in the late 1920's, building started in 1930. That the ship is pure Art Deco is no surprise, it was the very peak of the Art Deco movement.

The bridge is possibly the most notable difference between the two Marys, here is the QM requiring quite a few seamen to handle the ship. The QM2 had computer screens, keyboards and no discernible wheel, the QM had 3 wheels and all the equipment seen here. The bridge (when at sea) on QM2 has 3 people sitting on high backed bar stool type chairs mainly chatting. No expert but expect computers steer that ship?

s66499a.jpg

View from the starboard side looking across at Long Beach and beyond to the mountains, notice the snow on them thar hills this far south, and so close to the ocean.

s66497a.jpg

For you PVD...  rivets!

n11775a.jpg

A few previous passengers

s66512a.jpg

and Miss Snooty as well (I just love this photo)

s66511a.jpg

Couldn't leave out Milton and his 'girls'

s66507a.jpg

After a couple of hours we are off back to the San Fernando Valley, Milton declined any help from Gertie. It will take a week or three for Rosie and I to make comparisons of the two ships, so much is happening we haven't time to think yet. It hadn't really occurred to us until leaving QM that it had only been 5 days and about 3000 miles since we stepped off Hot Mary to boarding Cold Mary, and the intervening days had had their own excitements too.

Rest of our day was siting, talking, planning, eating and drinking, and not doing much. Plus the discovery of a Mexican bakery to die for.

Wow, the QM really is a pretty ship. Just a smidge less glorious than the QE2, IMHO.

shutterstock_686837659.jpg

I loooooove Art Deco.

I’ve seen the exterior of Cold Mary but never had a chance to book a stay.

The three red funnels on the QM look right to me, as well as the equipment on the bridge. I guess that was the type of ship one always saw pictured, back in the day.

Likewise, I loved seeing the rivets, they certainly make it look like a strong construction. That is part of my fascination with old metal bridges, etc.

Ed.

Back