London to Baja California ~ across America

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a quick note from Chicago Metropolitan Lounge which gets better with every visit. Appalling internet since the start but should be better after Xmas and can continue the travel posts.

Wish all the people reading this a peaceful New Year, and thanks for all the help and encouragement to enable us to have such 'interesting' travels, there are still many real characters in this world.

J&R
Looks like you might see some snow traveling through New Mexico and Arizona! Hope you’re having a Merry Christmas on the Southwest Chief! 

Around what intersection on Roscoe? (Pretty much any bar, or restaurant with a TV, will have the Rose Bowl game on.)
Evening trainman74, we are very near to Roscoe / De Soto. 

We are looking for somewhere with atmosphere that we could walk to, say up to a 20-25 minute walk. We don't frequent bars hardly ever or sports bars at all, but it's a special day for US sport so thought we would try to go somewhere special to enjoy it too.

This far we have come up with Beers N Wings at 20141 Roscoe, but it looks as though it's a half restaurant and half sports bar.

Thanks for any help.

Evening trainman74, we are very near to Roscoe / De Soto. 

We are looking for somewhere with atmosphere that we could walk to, say up to a 20-25 minute walk. We don't frequent bars hardly ever or sports bars at all, but it's a special day for US sport so thought we would try to go somewhere special to enjoy it too.
Unfortunately, I'm not very familiar with that area (it's about a 12-mile drive from where I live). I just took a peek at Yelp, and nothing is really jumping out at me.

Tuesday 18 December Day 5  ~  north Atlantic westbound - continuedUpdated LA ~ Tuesday 1 January 2019 

First a photo from the night of 17/18 December 2018. So far it's our favourite seascape photo of the North Atlantic taken from our balcony with a little movement of the ship influencing the image. To us it comes across as almost an 'Impressionist painting' view of the sea.

s66102a.png

Today gave us Force 9 severe gale with very rough seas. So impressed with the seakeeping ability of this ship, really feels as though it were built for this type of weather. 

A couple of laps of deck 7, quite windy making it difficult to walk in a straight line. An American recommended Hearst Castle CA to us as we'll be driving down Highway 1 (The Big Sur), may just do that if we have time. 

Went to a talk on Lowry the English artist. Appears to have been an unusual man with a very distinctive style you either love or hate. Rosie is in the hate camp, I'm not.

During the afternoon down to Force 5 (fresh breeze) with moderate seas, felt like a mill pond. Next we go to the cinema to watch Mission Impossible in 3D, sometimes the movement of the ship matched the film, very weird effect!

As it's formal dining in the Britannia restaurant we gave it a miss, the Kings Court for us with the now usual standard of tasty food.

We've learnt from a number of staff that their onboard contracts usually last from 3 months to 9 months. It appears as though if the ship has passengers they work 7 days a week, week in and week out. At the end of their contract they go home for several months before re-joining their ship, or sometimes a different one. There does appear to be a loyalty that ties the staff to particular ships, one called the QM2 his 'home' as he had worked on her for so long. 

The sheltered side of deck 7, looks like a proper ship. 3.1 times round deck 7 equals 1 mile.

s66116a.jpg

First photo of the library

n11486a.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Great photo's...thanks for posting.   Just to the right of that woman sitting in the last photo, is a great seat within the 'wing' of the library, with a 270° view...my favorite spot, on my favorite ship. :cool:

607028249_HPIM1228(2).JPG.dce7e9063566d431e604e9b39d9a1753.JPG

Beautiful photos, especially the water one--thanks for sharing them with us :) .

Just looked up Lowry, and pretty sure I would agree with Rosie :) .

Hearst Castle sounds wonderful but huge--I second wearing good shoes!

Great photo's...thanks for posting.   Just to the right of that woman sitting in the last photo, is a great seat within the 'wing' of the library, with a 270° view...my favorite spot, on my favorite ship. :cool:

Rosie knows the exact spot. Have to say you scrub up well Mr railiner

Wednesday 19 December Day 6  ~  north Atlantic westboundUpdated San Luis Obispo, CA ~ Saturday 5 January 2019 

Calmer seas today, Force 5 with moderate seas. Still felt pretty windy but data said it's not. Rosie met an interesting American doctor who she felt was more down to earth than any others met on board so far. She reminded Rosie of a dear friend from long ago and the meeting brightened her day.

Free launderette on each side of each deck, worked well and is popular with everybody. That it was free was a hot topic, against the trend for Cunard add-ons.

Rosie attended the 'Chocolate Hour' in the Kings Court, had never seen so much chocolate in one place before. Photos tell the tale.

During the day the Captain announced that we would be passing within 80 nautical miles of where the Titanic sank, not sure if that's a good thing to mention but it caused a lot of chatter so probably was. There is new evidence that the speed of Titanic sinking was caused by an onboard fire that started before Titanic sailed on her maiden voyage. If anyone is interested more about this later in the blog.

Rosie also roamed over other parts of the Mary (now specifically named 'hot Mary'), she is fascinated by all aspects and wants to see everything there is to see. See the restroom photo below.

We went together to back to back talks, first on the Rockefeller Center + the Rockettes, the second on the part Liverpool, UK played in the Slave trade. Both were well presented and equally interesting although totally different. 

The Rockefeller Center sounds amazing, the Rockettes even more so and ratchetted up Rosie's excitement about our visit the following Saturday, I was impressed by both too.

Back to the Britannia restaurant tonight, dressed in our finery. This dressing up business is curious as we are both pleased to see the other in posh clothes but not so interested about seeing ourselves in the mirror. We are unlikely to do this again so join in the best we can with a smile.

David and Diane the new comers to our table for six were more chatty tonight, she was a senior nurse, he a history lecturer at a college. The conversations were easier tonight and had a pleasant meal.

Before we went into dinner met another English couple from London, booked their whole trip through a UK newspaper, the Daily Mail. They were a chirpy and happy couple, typical of older working class Londoners.

They didn't have a clue about the how, where and when of their trip - it was mainly about a pilgrimage to visit New Orleans - but they had a schedule of where they had to be for the start of each stage of their journey and were happy enough with that.

Their itinerary was London -> Southampton -> QM2 to New York - > Amtrak to New Orleans -> Amtrak to Los Angeles -> Amtrak to San Francisco -> Amtrak to Chicago -> Amtrak to New York and fly back to London. When asked what they would do in each city they only knew the arrival and departure details, no idea what happened in the time they were there, except in New Orleans.

His father was a professional jazz musician and their home was always full of people in the music industry passing through. His father told him he had only one regret in his life that he had never visited New Orleans, so he was headed for the French Quarter to leave a photo of his father there in some quiet spot.

They were lovely, so full of innocence and totally unaware except they were on a great adventure and doing something important on the way. They made our day.

Towards the end of diner David and I started to talk more animatedly about politics and history, mostly him talking about their relevance to each other. After dinner we agreed to find a quiet spot to continue talking. Rosie and Diane said they were headed to back to the cabins. 

David explained that from a very early age he wrote lyrics about events and people in history then set them to music. He said from time to time some of his students contacted him years after achieving their degrees to tell him they mostly remembered his 'history songs' and it kept them interested.

I thought that he did this once or twice each term but he said no, it was often each week or sometimes each day, sounds amazing. I asked if it was after the style of (the real) Bob Dylan and he agreed some of his songs were, or he would write a set of lyrics and couple them to existing music. He did say he thought 'Blowing in the Wind' was exceptional in his view.

He got in trouble for not getting back to his cabin until after 2am, Rosie remained asleep.

'Chocolate Hour'. Many many more chocolate displays than shown here

n11492a.png

n11494a.png

The ladies restroom inside 'The Verandah' restaurant, Rosie says it is swish.

n11514a.png

Awaiting the start of a stand-up comedian's show in the main theatre onboard. Not sure what it's capacity is but large by most standards and beautifully decorated

n11526a.png 

Sounds like you are having a wonderful time.   Having the good fortune to meet very interesting people on such a great ship, is indeed a bonus...

It's too bad Rosie did not get to sail on the Norwegian Breakaway during its first year in service.  Besides having the Rockettes serve as the ship's Godmother's, and a large troupe of them appearing at its naming ceremony, there were a pair of them, along with a chaperone performing on every sailing, as well as posing for individual photo's with passenger's, and answering questions about their lives...

That fellow David, must like this song....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDPnsTRAvIM

I am thoroughly enjoying your travelogue... :cool:

Thursday 20 December Day 7  ~  north Atlantic westboundUpdated LA, CA ~ Sunday 6 January 2019

Day started with a Force 8 gale which soon turned into a Force 9 severe gale. Quite amazing that even during this rough weather we were still ploughing on at 22.6 knots, that's 26 mph. Amazing ship in all respects.

We both visited the library, this is a very special place. It's located near the bow so a fair bit of movement If the sea is rough. If we had had a calm crossing Rosie would have spent quite a lot of the crossing here.

The jewel of the Queen Mary 2, it's library

s66119a.jpg

s66120a.jpg

s66122a.jpg

The walkway to the library.  Just about everywhere on this ship the design and finish are superb

s66124a.jpg

More design detail, a ceiling lamp.

n11547a.jpg

With the seas rising we next visited deck 2 to get close to the huge swell, it didn't fail to impress.

The non sheltered side from the lowest deck it's possible to watch the ocean. A regular winter's day in the North Atlantic?

n11542a.jpg

n11544a.jpg

During a kitchens tour, even the dish washer looks happy

n11553a.jpg

Ritual afternoon tea tried out by Rosie, found it too pompous for her tastes. She did say it all tasted scrumptious.

n11555a.jpg

n11561a.jpg

This photo could be named 'Against the odds' or 'Stoic'. These 3 Americans were determined to get some deck time in on their crossing. Real hero's as it was force 9 severe gale at the time.

This time we managed our 3 lap constitutional but at certain points around the deck it became exciting as we were suddenly blown sideways across the deck. The real excitement came when we were blown hard against the rail, pleased we were still holding on to each other.

s66136a.jpg

Mostly unnoticed, but could come in useful one day...

s66132a.jpg

Confirmation of distances for deck 7

DSC06133.JPG

Tonight was the last of the 'Formal' dinners. We had skipped the previous two as (a) we didn't have enough formal clothing according to Cunard's recommendations, and (b) we were a bit formal'ed out in general by now. But, the other four at our table had asked the previous evening if we would turn up explaining as they had to eat with us we were formal enough for them, how kind, how could we refuse.

Rosie had been given the tiara by cousin Sue, how could she not wear it at the most formal of the three formal dinners. This was to be the evening where the great and the good were invited to the Captains table, to be followed by a Masked Ball. During the meal Rosie was chuckling away but wouldn't say why. As we finished eating she explained. During the day she heard a woman regale the story where she got into the same lift/elevator that the captain was in. She was so excited to be in such close proximity to such a great man and explained to him she felt honoured. We also heard that some/many onboard were very keen to be introduced to the captain, this is totally lost on us but pleased for those that got their wish, we all have different needs. 

Now don't get this wrong, what an achievement to have attained the role of captain on the Queen Mary 2, must be one of the most sought after jobs in the merchant marine. He's probably a very nice man too and pleasant to meet and very able, but some of the guests had raised him to another level and we don't know why, he's human like the rest of us.

During the meal, one person on the ship sat very close to the captain, me! Ok I didn't know he was there as we sat back to back, but Rosie thought it so funny that no one sat closer. To add to the irony I may have been the least impressed even if I had known. She told me this as he changed places before desert to sit directly opposite his starting place at the table.

The captain is in the second photo at the end of the meal.

Well here we all are, table for six. Don't we all look stuffy (even though we were not). That's everybody except Rosie with her tiara of course! 

s66144a.jpg

Another on-board tradition, the March of the Chefs / Chefs Parade? where everybody applauds each other?

s66145a.jpg

Sounds like two lost and bewildered hippies trying to find their way through a floating country club.  :lol:
Think you nearly have it there DA, but take out the hippies...

Not sure what you will make of later (mis) adventures further down the line, including a chat with a female business leader who I likened as the mother of Attila the Hun.

After all these are personal opinions which maybe should be reigned in a little, even Rosie complained that I didn't give a balanced view of afternoon tea. We'll see. 

Sounds like two lost and bewildered hippies trying to find their way through a floating country club.  :lol:
Well, I was thinking just the opposite--they look like two elegant, charming passengers who do this sea crossing routinely and fit right in! :)

A beautiful chocolate buffet and an even more beautiful library--I think I just added this ship to my bucket list of things to save my travel pennies for! :)

Well, I was thinking just the opposite--they look like two elegant, charming passengers who do this sea crossing routinely and fit right in! :)

A beautiful chocolate buffet and an even more beautiful library--I think I just added this ship to my bucket list of things to save my travel pennies for! :)
Since I know this charming couple I totally agree! ^_^

Looking forward to spending time with them this weekend here in Austin as they wind their way through the Country heading home! :cool:

and an even more beautiful library--I think I just added this ship to my bucket list of things to save my travel pennies for! :)
Besides having the largest library at sea, staffed by librarian's;  it also has a very nice book shop, where you can purchase from a large collection of nautical books, charts, etc... :cool:

Think you nearly have it there DA, but take out the hippies...Not sure what you will make of later (mis) adventures further down the line, including a chat with a female business leader who I likened as the mother of Attila the Hun. After all these are personal opinions which maybe should be reigned in a little, even Rosie complained that I didn't give a balanced view of afternoon tea. We'll see. 
Fair enough; that's just what popped into my head as I read about your experiences onboard.  I happen to enjoy fancy tea service but I'm still glad you wrote what you felt at the time and didn't try to filter your comments into something slightly more balanced but perhaps a bit less honest.

Well, I was thinking just the opposite--they look like two elegant, charming passengers who do this sea crossing routinely and fit right in! A beautiful chocolate buffet and an even more beautiful library--I think I just added this ship to my bucket list of things to save my travel pennies for!
They look perfectly fine and it wasn't intended as a criticism.  Besides, in my experience country clubs are full of people who are so sour minded they make people like me look positively jovial by comparison.  Sometimes it's better to be on the outside than the inside.  ^_^

New career goal:

Librarian on the QM2

(I didn't know this was a thing until now. I am so excited to check out the application requirements.)

They look perfectly fine and it wasn't intended as a criticism.  Besides, in my experience country clubs are full of people who are so sour minded they make people like me look positively jovial by comparison.  Sometimes it's better to be on the outside than the inside. 
Took your comments as you meant them DA, even thought it was very insightful so no problems here. Have to say though it is particularly nice having others write positive things even if they are not deserved.

It's only a personal travel blog and we all see the world through different eyes, so any opinion is welcome.

May have mentioned our country club story before but if not here goes. Friends on Chesapeake took us along to their country club one day, never been in one and were very impressed by the facilities.

Was sitting in the café/bar section having a nice cup of tea, I was facing a door across the room marked 'Gentlemen'. In the UK this is a toilet for men. Over the next 15 minutes or so a number of smart well dressed men went in but never came out, started me wondering what was happening in there as? I'll leave it there...

Later when I mentioned it to our friends they roared with laughter, you are right DA it's a world we are not familiar with.  

Just completed Day 7 within the original posting. 

In real time the next up is a visit with Bob but travelling via Denver to get our Greyhound fix.

Had a few changes and surprises along the way, will complete this travelogue but not sure when at the moment.

Bob Dylan = hero

Back