living near a train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Really interesting article. I recall in the San Francisco Bay Area that when Bart was built, home prices in proximity to stations really picked up as commuters were able to travel faster and avoid driving. Traveling out of Chicago by train, it's interesting to see how tightly woven the suburbs are to the rail lines. Pity we don't see more of that, we became so tangled up into car culture, which is not going to work out long term I'm afraid.

One of the major factors I bought my house in 2000 was that it is located 3 blocks from a NJ Transit station. The NEC is less than a block from my rear window. When the Acelas whoosh by my floorboards shake. It's pretty cool. ROW maintenance at 3 a.m. during the summer, however, is not. :unsure:

This statement might work in middle America

"In the suburbs, two or three cars and all that driving can cost more than the mortgage,"

But, where I live I'd have to have two very high end cars commuting 70 miles each way to equal my mortgage.

Interesting article. I had to move away from my property for a job and am renting it out right now because I can't sell it for anywhere near what I bought it for in 2005. My only hope for ever selling it is that it is less than a five minute walk to the MBTA commuter rail station to Boston with a 30ish minute train ride. Location, location, location!

we live 3 blocks from a Long Island Rail Road station.

an easy trip to company HQ, which is across from the BWI RR station: LIRR to NY Penn, Amtrak to BWI.

nearly door-to-door sans personal motor vehicle.

Two separate issues. People who buy first houses typically have to buy farther from their work for affordability purposes. They overlook or underestimate the high cost of commuting. All of it is completely non-deductible, below the line cost.

A well situated house by the rail line has an advantage in that respect, but its also likely to be in a nicer neighborhood and to be less highly leveraged.

Well one thing to note is the difference between living near a train and living near a train station.

One is a benefit while the other is (to a "normal" person!) an annoyance that lowers property values.

I live 200 Yards from the Morris and Essex line of NJT between Short Hills and Summit. Short Hills station is a 10 minute walk.

It is an electrified railroad so the noise of trains passing by is not very noticeable specially in the winter when windows are closed. The introduction of PL42s has noticeably reduced the noise of the few diesel trains that pass by. There is no freight traffic on this line. The traffic is mostly NJT Midtown Directs mostly using MLV consists and ALP-46s, Comets+ALP44 or Arrow IIIs for Gladstone and Dover to Hoboken service. And there are a handful of Comets hauled mostly by PL42s protecting the Hoboken - Mt. Olive/Hackettstown service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back