Live trip report. Chicago to Portland and back.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great sca. I got off at pasco to wash my window. When he saw my intent he got a towel and sprayed heavy duty cleaning fluid on my window and cleaned it for me. He got a 20. He will get another at the end too.

I am enjoying your trip report, and apologize for my part in going off topic....perhaps the mods can remove those posts to 'the lounge'....
default_unsure.png

8 stopped east of Spokane to wait for 7. After 30 minutes proceeding east at restricted speed. We must be following freights or meeting them. Iirc the area around sandpoint is chokepoint on this route.

Stunning photos. I have never had the chance to take a LD train this time of year. Maybe if I retire soon (and LD trains still exist) I'll get to rectify this.

PS I'm an old woman, just for the record.
default_happy.png

You will have fun. I should not have made that remark. I allowed the usual suspects on here to pull me down to their level.

Stick around. You will get plenty of great trip planning advice. Plus some great arguments. Lol

1 hour 10 late at Cut Bank.

Consist is 2 engines, transition sleeper, 2 sleepers, diner, one Seattle coach, sightseer, 2 coaches and then the Portland sleeper. A little shorter than the summer.

Went to lunch and had the angus burger with cheese and bacon. I was enjoying a conversation with a guy at my table and we both decided to have dessert. The staff informed us that we only got dessert at dinner. Not lunch. Neither of us were very happy. Not sure if this is a policy of Amtrak to cut costs or a crew rationing diminishing supplies. Either way I was unhappy.

The diner crew has been pleasant and efficient except for the dessert issue.

Went to lunch and had the angus burger with cheese and bacon. I was enjoying a conversation with a guy at my table and we both decided to have dessert. The staff informed us that we only got dessert at dinner. Not lunch. Neither of us were very happy. Not sure if this is a policy of Amtrak to cut costs or a crew rationing diminishing supplies. Either way I was unhappy.

I had dessert after lunch on 3 of the 4 Silver Meteor trains on which I traveled in the last month. I was offered dessert on the 4th but declined.

I was offered dessert with lunch on the Southwest Chief yesterday and on the Coast Starlight today. They were practically pushing dessert on the Chief saying that we could have it as a snack later if we took it back to our room.

Nice pics. Looks like you're having a nice trip.

Last edited by a moderator:
Departed Stanley 1 hour 40 late. I took my shower as we arrived Stanley. The Sca diligently made my bed while I was in the shower. He’s a great one.

Shortly after leaving Stanley I hear a guy yelling swear words in the the 2830 car. He’s upstairs and I’m staying downstairs. I don’t know if he missed his stop or got bad information via cell phone.

At the same time I discovered that my roomette door came off its track. I think I must of hit it the wrong way going in and out doing shower routines. I call sca to tell him about the door and the swearing. I’m a potty mouth myself so I’m not offended. But I think the sca should know for the safety and comfort of himself and the passengers in the 2830 car.

The sca tells me the door can get fixed at Minot. And goes off to investigate the swearing. It has stopped by now.

At the same

We’ve departed St. Paul about40 minutes late. We were pulling out and then the coach attendant in the 811 car said he had two that needed to get off. Train stopped quickly. Fortunately 811 car I was still on platform. We were on the move quickly.

Breakfast was good. As always. It’s raining and cloudy.

Holy fat-a-rama! At least you won't have to worry about your fat soluble vitamins!

Really enjoying your report. Gotta get the Builder back onto my to-do list!

I know it's just me but, I can't get the thought out of my mind: since they haven't reduced sleeper prices with the contemporary dining, is this pizza thing equal to the $25.00 entrees offered before? Is the service the same? Is the atmosphere the same? I guess I was jus t spoiled! I wonder if they ever considered offering a newspaper to read while eating it on real table cloths w/flower & vase ?
default_tongue.png

The dining car service as been the same. They did not serve dessert with lunch either day. But we had dessert with dinner last night. The crew explained there was not enough dessert on board for lunch and dinner.

The dining car service as been the same. They did not serve dessert with lunch either day. But we had dessert with dinner last night. The crew explained there was not enough dessert on board for lunch and dinner.
Yet another example of under stocking the diners.
default_unsure.png

Back