LIRR/MTA to be investigated per Sen. Chuck Schumer

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rover

Conductor
https://nypost.com/2019/03/03/schumer-calls-for-investigation-into-mta-after-deadly-train-crash/

“What’s a mystery is that 4,000 of these PTC monitors were installed on the tracks and only now do they know that it’s faulty,” Schumer said. “Why wasn’t there testing done? How quickly can it be fixed? Maybe it can be fixed easily. Let’s see.” Because of the equipment failure, Schumer said numerous questions must be answered.

“We need the government to do a top-to-bottom review and find out what went wrong? Who’s to blame? How to still meet the deadline? And how to get the money back from those contractors who messed this up by selling the MTA faulty equipment?” Schumer said.

Schumer wants the Federal Railroad Administration to get involved, saying with the feds “looking over the MTA’s shoulder it will make it far more likely for them to do it right this time.”

Last edited by a moderator:
This is what I don't like about the manufactured PTC outrage. Yes, it is disturbing that they spent the last few years installing potentially outdated components. However, that has NOTHING to do with the recent grade crossing accident:

We cannot delay any longer. Lives are at risk. We’ve all seen how many people have died and have been injured in these train crashes we’ve seen far too frequently,” Schumer said at a news conference at Grand Central Station. “PTC, when it works, is a godsend. Whether it’s two cars crossing the tracks. Whether it’s two trains that might collide.”

Schumer’s announcement came just days after two Long Island Rail Road trains struck a car at a crossing, killing its three occupants in Westbury, Long Island.
It shows the lack of understanding of the subject matter at hand. I also find it interesting that he wants  the FRA...you know, the agency that allows all of the extensions to look over the shoulders of an operating company.

It's interesting that the vast majority of rail fatalities are train/motor vehicle collisions at road crossings and pedestrian/trespasser incidents. How is PTC suppose to solve these? 
Ask Sen. Schumer, who has made the grade crossing collision involving a car driving around the gates a PTC issue.

This is what I don't like about the manufactured PTC outrage. Yes, it is disturbing that they spent the last few years installing potentially outdated components. However, that has NOTHING to do with the recent grade crossing accident:

We cannot delay any longer. Lives are at risk. We’ve all seen how many people have died and have been injured in these train crashes we’ve seen far too frequently,” Schumer said at a news conference at Grand Central Station. “PTC, when it works, is a godsend. Whether it’s two cars crossing the tracks. Whether it’s two trains that might collide.”

Schumer’s announcement came just days after two Long Island Rail Road trains struck a car at a crossing, killing its three occupants in Westbury, Long Island.
It shows the lack of understanding of the subject matter at hand. I also find it interesting that he wants  the FRA...you know, the agency that allows all of the extensions to look over the shoulders of an operating company.

Schumer is the idiot with a megaphone. Unfortunately he is also one of the biggest champions of passenger rail in the northeast. I don't think he could care less about any other part of the country too much - allegedly scheming to transfer money from LD trains to NEC. That may be  a sad commentary about this country. But it is what it is.

Schumer is the idiot with a mega[phone. Unfortunately he is also one of the biggest champions of passenger rail in the northeast. I don;t he could care less about any other part of the country too much - allegedly scheming to transfer money from LD trains to NEC. That may be  a sad commentary about this country. But it is what it is.
Trump is "America First" and Chucky is "NE first."

Back