Lazy Amtrak Zephyr SCA Sleeper Attendant? "If needed, you can find me in room 1”

Discussion in 'Amtrak Rail Discussion' started by Way2Kewl, Sep 29, 2019.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

1. Oct 8, 2019 #26

Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Conductor

Aren't you the poster who "tips" attendants as soon as you board? If you were in this car on this trip it sounds like your bribes and button mashing might have gone unheeded.

crescent-zephyr and AmtrakBlue like this.
  2. Oct 9, 2019 #27

KiraPi

K

KiraPi

I'm glad I read this thread before my trip. I wouldn't have known to tip the SCA! The two I had on the Cardinal and the Capitol Limited with both great. Two very different people, but great service from both.

Devil's Advocate likes this.
  3. Oct 9, 2019 #28

Siegmund

Siegmund

Siegmund

Train Attendant

In my experience, there's about a 1 in 3 chance that you'll be in for a *very* long wait. Attendant might have run to the dining car, or might be covering the adjacent transition sleeper, or might be napping, or...

I find it very helpful when they tell me where to find them, so that if something comes up, I know where to look rather than just pushing the button and wondering whether I'll hear back in a minute or in an hour.

I recall one occasion where I made up the beds for the people in the roomette across the aisle because the attendant was nowhere to be found. She turned up an hour later wondering if we still needed her.

4. Oct 9, 2019 #29

jimmrl

jimmrl

jimmrl

Train Attendant

Been there, done that. And the worst part is when they do show up and get pissy because you did their job for them.

5. Oct 9, 2019 #30

crescent-zephyr

c

crescent-zephyr

Conductor

Once when I was in a transition sleeper I couldn’t find the sleeper attendant in the car next door to put my bed down and there was no bedding in the upper berth (so I couldn’t do it myself). After about an hour after I rang the call button one of the waitresses walked by to her room and asked if I needed anything.... she set me up.

6. Oct 10, 2019 #31

I like rolling hotels

I

I like rolling hotels

I've had consistent long or very long waits when I've used the call button on The Empire Builder. Thanks to Siegmund for the idea of finding out where to look for them.

Which, I hasten to add, is something that happens along with exceptionally good service. I've left website feedback more than once recommending commendations.

7. Oct 10, 2019 #32

Way2Kewl

Way2Kewl

Way2Kewl

Train Attendant

I find the SCA’s “typically” stay in room 1 (mid train sharing wall with bathroom on all the LD Superliners).
    From my experience I’ve always noticed room 1 to be somewhat of storage for supplies and always assume that’s where they stay too.

8. Oct 10, 2019 #33

Mystic River Dragon

M

Mystic River Dragon

Conductor

My usual LD train is a Viewliner, and for many years, I seemed to end up in one where the call buttons didn't work.

So I just wandered around looking for my SCA and usually found them easily (because how far can they really get away on a single-level train?:D)

My favorite memory is of once, when I had a wonderful SCA (his name was Jimmy--haven't seen him for years, so maybe retired) but couldn't find him, I was standing in the hall and said out loud, "Now where on earth did Jimmy go?" and turned around and he was right in back of me grinning:D:).

9. Oct 10, 2019 #34

Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Conductor

You'd be surprised how Crew can hide on a Single Level Train Patty! Lots of them hide out in their Rooms!

Mystic River Dragon likes this.
  10. Oct 13, 2019 #35

Steve4031

S

Steve4031

Conductor

I was once around people who were seriously discussing the existence of ghosts. They used the word entity. Then one asked me if I believed in entities I said the closest I ever experienced were the scas that disappeared mid trip.