Late Sunset Limited (10/11/19)

Discussion in 'Amtrak Rail Discussion' started by ref5035, Oct 11, 2019.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

1. Oct 11, 2019 #1

ref5035

r

ref5035

Train Attendant

Arriving lax over 8 hours late ... 1:35 pm Friday

2. Oct 11, 2019 #2

Rasputin

R

Rasputin

Lead Service Attendant

Well at least passengers won't be rousted out at 5 a.m. but unfortunately some connections may be missed.

I wonder if they will serve breakfast.

3. Oct 12, 2019 #3

sjgiss

sjgiss

sjgiss

Train Attendant

Why???

4. Oct 12, 2019 #4

Caro

C

Caro

I’m travelling Austin LAX next month, connecting with the Coast Starlight same day. It never occurred to me when booking that a 5 hour transfer time would be potentially insufficient. What if any assistance does Amtrak give to get delayed passengers on a through ticket onto the connecting train

5. Oct 12, 2019 #5

F900ElCapitan

F

F900ElCapitan

Service Attendant AU Supporter

This train was a bit of an outlier, there’s a very good chance you’ll make your connection.

As for your question, do you have a single reservation for your whole trip to your final destination? If not, call Amtrak and have your reservations “cross-referenced.” Doing that or having a single reservation will provide you with a guaranteed connection. This way if you do miss the connection Amtrak will do the best they can to get you to your destination. It also depends on your final destination, if your going to San Luis Obispo or south of that, they’ll likely put you on a Pacific Surfliner. If you’re going north of Oakland, they’ll likely put you on a Amtrak bus to Bakersfield and then on a train through the Central Valley to connect back up with the Coast Starlight. If they have put you on a different routing, they are pretty good at refunding any accommodation charges that wouldn’t be available on the new route, ie sleeper room.

6. Oct 12, 2019 #6

Caro

C

Caro

I’m booked on one ticket I believe, through to Seattle, my UK travel agent arranged it so I will get on to them and check, thanks.
    Can’t believe trains can be 8 hours late - that would pretty well be enough time to get from one end of the UK to the other!

F900ElCapitan likes this.
  7. Oct 12, 2019 #7

F900ElCapitan

F

F900ElCapitan

Service Attendant AU Supporter

Sounds like a great trip! I’m also assuming/hoping you're booked on the Texas Eagle 421 coach or sleeper (and not connecting from 21 (Texas Eagle) to 1(Sunset Limited)). The 421 are through cars and get uncoupled from the Chicago-San Antonio Texas Eagle and are then coupled to the Sunset Limited for the remainder of the trip to LA. If you are on these cars, when you arrive in San Antonio you’ll have a choice of staying onboard (or just getting off for fresh air and to stretch) for the entire stay (4 hours and 50 minutes) or you can leave your stuff on the train and cab/Uber/Lyft or walk over to the Riverwalk, which is worth seeing. Just plan to be back at the station no later than 20 minutes before departure (of which 2:45am isn’t difficult to make), the only issue is they won’t let you reboard while they are switching the cars, but there will be plenty of time after the switching. If you’re doing the 21 to 1, then you will have to disembark with all of your stuff and wait in the station for the Sunset Limited to arrive and they allow you to board.

Way2Kewl likes this.
  8. Oct 12, 2019 #8

bratkinson

bratkinson

bratkinson

OBS Chief

Fortunately, in my experience, there's a TON of padding in the Sunset/Texas Eagle schedule going into LA. When I rode it last year, I think we were 4+ hours late out of El Paso. By Maricopa, only 2 hours late. We arrived at LAX pretty close to on time. I went the other way this past April. Same thing...2 hrs late at Maricopa, 1 at El Paso, early at San Antonio.

9. Oct 13, 2019 #9

tricia

tricia

tricia

OBS Chief

I think the extra padding likely is there at least in part to manage the AZ time difference half the year: Unlike it's neighbors AZ doesn't observe Daylight Savings Time, but the SL keeps the same schedule year round.

10. Oct 13, 2019 #10

Way2Kewl

Way2Kewl

Way2Kewl

Train Attendant

As F900ElCapitan mentioned, if you're on the Eagle #21 then Sunset #1, call and see if you can be moved to #421 (Eagle thru to LAX) so you can stay on the car/sleep undisturbed.

https://asm.transitdocs.com/train/2019/10/12/1
    School to the bottom and select HISTORY for LAX
    Last 2 months Average Ar delay: 2 hours and 19 minutes late. 3 out of 60 were over 5 hrs late. Odds are in your favor.
    Last 12 months Average Ar delay: 2 hours and 5 minutes late​

F900ElCapitan likes this.