Last Day of Auto Train Coach Dinner Service today.

Discussion in 'Amtrak Rail Discussion' started by b243923, Jan 14, 2020 at 5:20 PM.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

1. Jan 14, 2020 at 5:20 PM #1

b243923

b

b243923

Train Attendant

Today is the last of dinner service on the Auto Train for Coach Passengers.

Curious how it goes tomorrow and if they actually go through with the planned change.

Please tell me how it goes as we take the Auto Train in February.

2. Jan 14, 2020 at 6:07 PM #2

RichieRich

R

RichieRich

Service Attendant

Feb...me too...based in MD on this end. Been taking it monthly. Just got back and they did say, the 15th. Also heard there's a lack of confidence re the food trucks. Did see one only once in SFA, never at LOR. Do you think the Coach'ers have a clue? Amtrak must have sent special Emails to them all...sorta like the one's I get: "Your trains been cancelled...good luck".

3. Jan 14, 2020 at 6:37 PM #3

Amtrakfflyer

A

Amtrakfflyer

Lead Service Attendant

Why would anyone think cold 2 plus hour old, food truck fair would be a viable option. It’s not like you can eat it hot, as soon as it’s handed to you.

More interesting to me will be all the great list of upgrades for sleeping car passengers starting tomorrow as well. My bet no upgrades appear but the coach diner is gone.

crescent-zephyr likes this.
  4. Jan 14, 2020 at 8:46 PM #4

crescent-zephyr

c

crescent-zephyr

Conductor

No dining car option for Coach passengers correct? Will be interesting to see what items are available and how quickly they run out.

5. Jan 14, 2020 at 11:30 PM #5

dlagrua

dlagrua

dlagrua

Conductor

Its all part of the plan. Charge more, provide less and sabotage the service.

neroden and crescent-zephyr like this.
  6. Jan 14, 2020 at 11:39 PM #6

ssbun

s

ssbun

The cafe menu for coach is on the website. A Hebrew National all beef hot dog, a bag of chips and a can of soda will cost you $10.00...and that's some of the lesser expensive items listed. Everything is a la carte. So Amtrak says they have lowered the price for coach, but you will more than make up the difference buying food.

7. Jan 15, 2020 at 12:19 AM #7

Qapla

Qapla

Qapla

OBS Chief

If I ever take the Auto Train and ride coach (or even in a sleeper) I will just make sure I have enough food to hold me over for 17 hours. Since I wouldn't have to worry about "luggage" I can "carry on" plenty of snacks and drinks - I have never had to pay for ice on the train.

8. Jan 15, 2020 at 12:40 AM #8

lordsigma

l

lordsigma

OBS Chief

It appears it is essentially the usual cafe car fare plus an Asian noodle bowl and braised beef bowl option.

Draft saved Draft deleted