Large bag on Adirondack?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulDobbs

Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
I am planning a three-week rail trip and I might need to take along a full-size suitcase. All of the trains that I will be using have checked bags except for one: the Adirondack. Am I likely to have problems carrying a full-size suitcase on the Adirondack?

There should be no problem bringing a full-size suitcase on the Adirondack. The maximum luggage size to bring on board is 28 x 22 x 14, and you're allowed two bags of that size carried-on, along with two smaller personal items. Most standard checked luggage will meet that size requirement.

Probably, depends on the definition of full size. I have a large bag (much larger than airline carry on size) that I have taken on both the Adirondack and Maple Leaf with no problems, as well as the Cascades and Northeast Regionals. I almost never check bags on Amtrak. As far as large suitcases go, it is kind of middling. My daughter has a huge suitcase, and I mean huge, that she used to bring stuff back after living in Korea, that might be problematic. A normally "large" suitcase should be okay.

If you are northbound boarding at New York Penn Station, get a Red Cap. They'll not only get you down to track level before the crowd hits, they'll stow your suitcase for you.

One word of warning, I notice from other postings that you are planning to take the Canadian, and I assume that is part of this three week trip. Room for bags in roomettes and double bedrooms on board the Canadian is pretty small and there is no common storage like on Superliners, nor a big "cubby" in the room like on Viewliners. I made the mistake of taking the above-mentioned suitcase onboard and it took up pretty much all the floor space in my roomette. The attendant took pity on me and found a place to put it elsewhere in the car. Don't try to take a largish suitcase as a carry on on the the Canadian. Now I use my little gym bag to carry what I need enroute, which fits nicely on little shelf above the toilet, and check the big one.

Also, if you are taking one of the VIA corridor services between Montreal and Toronto, note that, unlike Amtrak, VIA does strictly enforce its carry on size and weight limits, at least at major stations, with scales and bag sizers. Business Class passengers have a bigger carry on allowance and only one train has checked baggage service (65, leaves Montreal at 11:00 am). Go to viarail.ca and look at their carry on bag limits, which are smaller than Amtrak's published limits, and decide if you need to go Business Class to get your bags on, or take the one train that has checked baggage.

Last edited:
I am planning a three-week rail trip and I might need to take along a full-size suitcase. All of the trains that I will be using have checked bags except for one: the Adirondack. Am I likely to have problems carrying a full-size suitcase on the Adirondack?
From the Amtrak baggage info:

Each passenger may bring 2 personal items, 25 lbs. and 14 x 11 x 7 inches each, and 2 carry-on items, 50 lbs. and 28 x 22 x 14 inches each, onboard.

The bag size limit is reasonably large - much larger than airline carry on, and you can carry two of them. If your full-size suitcase meets those dimensions, you will be fine.

Zephyr17, thank you for all the info. I am on 65, on a day when it has a baggage car. My carry-on bag for the room is a backpack, which I have found very convenient on Amtrak.
Your backpack will fit fine. I actually carry both a backpack and the gym bag onboard the Canadian, the gym bag for clothes and toiletries, the backpack for toys (scanner, books, etc). Gym bag goes on the shelf, backpack hangs on a hook. On connecting Amtrak trains, I collapse the gym bag and put it and its contents in the big bag so I am not dealing with an extra bag.

You are all set.

At my age, weight and size of baggage are a concern, especially when boarding/deboarding at ground-level platforms unassisted. Hoisting something as large as you're traveling with would require someone to help me, and I'm a reasonably fit 71 year old.

I just completed a 12-day almost non-stop Amtrak joyride yesterday. Part of my planning was the ability to use the guest laundromat in the 2 hotels I was in for one night each. That solves the problem of having to take sufficient clothing for all 12 days. My long distance train luggage consists of one airline-size 4-wheel carry on that fits under the seats in any roomette, and one good sized gym bag strapped on top. As Mr Norman indicated...think out what you'll need on your trip.

My comments stem from a trip on the Adirondack some years back, but I suspect things have not changed greatly. We (husband and myself) travelled from Montreal to NYC with a full size suitcase each as we were travelling internationally for about a month. From memory there was nowhere to store luggage, or at least, nowhere for passengers who ran last in the unexpected and unruly dash for the train and seats. What an amazing experience that was. Luckily, despite being in his late sixties, my husband was able to hoist the suitcases into the overhead racks and later get them down again. Probably not even a safe place for them, but no other option.

I very much agree with the suggestion to get a redcap, whichever direction you are travelling. Also, a good idea to bring some food etc with you.

Back