Lakeshore Ltd. Roomette/Car assignments

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mom

Hi all you knowledgable train people,

Next week, my husband, 14 month old son, and I will be travelling the Lakeshore Ltd. from South Bend to Mass. for a family wedding/vacation. My son is already into trains and so we're pretty excited for the trip. We have a roomette both ways and just got the tickets printed. I'm wondering if any of you can give me some info on our car/roomette assignments...things to look for on that side of the train, things to do, tips, etc. I have been reading the board and have already gotten some good info, just thought I'd ask again. Also, if you know of any delay issues, etc. coming up on that route please let me know.

Thank you for any info/tips you can give!

On the Eastbound trip, we are in car 4820, room 3. Westbound, in 4920, room 6.

Car 4820/4920 is the sleeper from/to Boston. It will be at the very front of the train. It will be a Viewliner sleeper. You can view a diagram of the Viewliner sleeper here. Just scroll down to the Single-Level Equipment section.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome!
hi.gif

You will not know which direction your room is facing until you board, as sleepers can be put on the train in either direction. But I can tell you that the "20" sleeper will be the first passenger car, right behind the baggage car and locomotives, in the front of the train. The cafe/lounge car will be a few cars behind your sleeper. The Dining Car will be many cars behind, at the rear of the train, along with the New Your City sleepers.

When making the reservation, I noticed there was "no checked baggage" except for the leg of the trip from Albany eastward. Will there still be the baggage car the whole trip? I guess I'd rather not be directly behind the locomotive for some reason.

There will be a baggage car. In fact two. One that goes to Boston in front of your sleeper and one on the back end of the train that goes to New York.

When the site says no checked baggage, it usually means one of the stations does not offer check baggage. Either where you are leaving from or arriving to.

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing that many do is to book #48 from Chicago to Albany and then #448 from Albany east, and likewise #449 and #49 going west. That way you'll be in the rear of the train, closer to the Dining Car, for most of the trip.

If BOTH your departing station and destination station offer checked baggage service, then you can check your bags. If at least one does not, you can not check your bags.

One thing that many do is to book #48 from Chicago to Albany and then #448 from Albany east, and likewise #449 and #49 going west. That way you'll be in the rear of the train, closer to the Dining Car, for most of the trip.
While many may do just that, if traveling eastbound, I really cannot see transferring luggage from one end of the train to the other, while underway, before arriving in the Albany/Rennselear yard for the splitting of the two sections. For that matter, your 4820 roomette may not be available until ALB. I also think that most often, you will pay more for the two rooms, than just one in the 20 sleeper. I realize that due to availability, on occasion, one may have to book a space in both sections.

Possibly heading west it may be worth considering, as usually there is some time between the arrival of 449, and the departure of 49.

Enjoy your trip to Massachusetts:)

Mike

South Bend does have cheked baggage service. You said that you were going to Massachusetts, well, for the LSL, Boston South, Worcester, and Springfield have checked baggage, while Boston Back Bay, Framingham, and Pittsfield do not have it. If you are leaving from the stations without checked baggage, your reservation will say "no checked baggage."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back