Keystone Corridor high-speed rail gets green light

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Superliner Diner

Conductor
The Lancaster, PA New Era reports that work is now underway to improve Amtrak's Keystone Corridor between Harrisburg & Philadelphia, so that trains can operate over it at speeds of up to 120 mph.

The article is here.

Sounds great, the line certainly needs it (esp. on the shared SEPTA portion). I wonder though, will the fares double as a result? In comparison to travel on the corridor, Harrisburg has always been very inexpensive.

Railserve,

I have thought that fares on the Keystone service line were comparatively a bit cheaper than those on the main NEC.

I don't think, however that this so-called "high-speed rail" will be another Acela Express corridor. I'd expect simply the "regional" equipment to be able to travel at higher speeds. I mean, Metroliners have done better than 100 mph, so the same would be expected of conventional equipment hauled by AEM-7's or HHP-8's on the improved track, right?

From various articles it seems speeds will increase to 110 mph on the K-Corridor. A few years ago I was riding between Paoli and Philadelphia, and that was the roughest ride I have ever been on in my mind. :eek:

Do they have electrification over that corridor. Because if the don't a P-32 AC-DM would have to haul the train, as they are geared for 110 the highest in Amtrak's fleet.

Yes, there is electrifcation on the Keystone corridor between Philadelphia and Harrisburg. The mainline is 4 track from Philadelphia to Paoli (also SEPTA R5 commuter line) then 2 track the rest of the way except for a few spots.

The line is electrified, but for the past 10-15 years it has run primarily with diesels. There had been a shortage of electric engines in the Northeast pool, and they were concentrated on the NEC where they are more needed. In the past few years, as more electric engines became available (from HHP-8 order, Acela Express phase-in, etc.) some electric engines have from time to time popped up on the Keystone Corridor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back