Kansas City to Taos, NM via SWC and Regional Bus

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am curious as to whether or not anyone has taken the Southwest Chief to Santa Fe (Lamy) and then (after being shuttled) connected with the regional bus that travels from near the Santa Fe Plaza to Taos.  From all that I can see, the Blue Bus (Santa Fe to Espanola to Taos) is FREE and will deliver within a half mile to a timeshare I use frequently in Taos.

The bus leaves Santa Fe a little after 5:00 PM (hope the SWC is reasonably on time).  Does the service from Lamy to Santa Fe allow a drop off near the downtown Plaza?  Can you request a drop off location?  For all of the times I have ridden the Chief, I have never made Santa Fe a stop and am hoping those who have had that experience can shed some light.

If this works out...it opens up a GREAT possibility for many future trips to Taos!

Actually, your trip might involve in the future a direct Amtrak bus to Santa Fe (skipping Lamy) from Witchita, if the Amtrak CEO gets his wishes.

Actually, your trip might involve in the future a direct Amtrak bus to Santa Fe (skipping Lamy) from Witchita, if the Amtrak CEO gets his wishes.
I thought it's been made pretty clear that the Southwest Chief bustitution has been thrown out.

when I went a few years ago, I  took the Thruway bus (actually a van) from Lamy to the Santa Fe Airport, where I  rented a car.  The Shuttle driver charged me an extra $20 because the airport is outside the Santa Fe city limits.  I was cross country skiing around Taos, and we were going on to Colorado afterwards, so I needed the car.  But Taos is a small town, and you really need a car to get around, anyway.

Now that the Lamy station is unattended, and I suppose there no checked baggage service, if i did the trip again, I'd probably just go to ABQ, take a cab to the airport, and rent the car there.

when I went a few years ago, I  took the Thruway bus (actually a van) from Lamy to the Santa Fe Airport, where I  rented a car.  The Shuttle driver charged me an extra $20 because the airport is outside the Santa Fe city limits.  I was cross country skiing around Taos, and we were going on to Colorado afterwards, so I needed the car.  But Taos is a small town, and you really need a car to get around, anyway.

Now that the Lamy station is unattended, and I suppose there no checked baggage service, if i did the trip again, I'd probably just go to ABQ, take a cab to the airport, and rent the car there.
A few times (most recently 2-3 years ago), I've rented cars at an Enterprise office near the ABQ Amtrak station. Fair price, they'll pick you up and drop you off at Amtrak, and they're accustomed to dealing with Amtrak's unreliable schedule. If the train is REALLY late, and they've closed for the day, they'll transfer your reservation to the airport Enterprise. 

Back