July Changes to Lake Shore and Capitol Limited Dining

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thought people might appreciate a guest report on the LD meal situation, from a week or so ago.

Capitol Ltd: Boarded in TOL, so did not experience the boxed dinner from the night before; other passengers indicated they liked it. The boxed breakfast, however.... I call it "The Sugar Bomb." Here's what you get. A Kashi bar (sugar), a yogurt parfait with vanilla sweetened yogurt (sugar) and granola (sugar) and blueberries (healthy sugar). A fruit plate (also healthy sugar). A muffin (and as we all know, muffins are cupcakes). This is a travesty of a breakfast for anyone who depends on some form of protein in the morning. Would it be that much trouble to subsitute the Kashi bar or muffin with cheddar, mozz or other packaged cheese? (Like what is sold in the cafe car?) It seems somehow wrong to advise sleeping car passengers to bring their own food.. but if you're on the chronically late Train 30, probably want to consider it. Mind you, the blueberries were good, all 6 of them, and part of the fruit plate (I don't eat melons, enjoyed the grapes and mango slices). However with no lunch service, the so called 1st class fare paying passengers can help with the cafe car income stream, or pack your own. I have to have some small amount of protein in the morning, it doesn't have to be a full hot breakfast but the Sugar Bomb is not acceptable. Also, it comes with a lavish amount of excess packaging including marketing messages describing how the packaging is actually green and sustainable. Likely done with the Cap and will board the Silver in NYP or DC from now on.

Silver Meteor: Traditional meal service still present in dining car, although on this trip, no steaks if you boarded in WAS. Not acceptable that "a large group ordered all the steaks." No fish either. We made do with the chicken, and the service could have been a little less surly, but I think they they were busy and tired. Breakfast items - had enough omelletes, thankfully, although if you wanted the quesadilla you were out of luck. Lunch: Well, the "Group" was detraining in Orlando so the passengers at later stops got their leftovers for lunch, too. No dessert left other than sugar free vanilla pudding. I'm not a big dessert person, but the younger generation wasn't pleased. Had I been paying for this trip cash instead of using AGR points I would have been livid.

We traditionally take the train down to Miami and fly home.
Pretty accurate review. Mirrors my wife and my experience on the CL and Meteor this week. Would note that on that last two trips on the Meteor, we were told no mussels were stocked and the pecan tarts seem to be no longer stocked though on the menu.
A few weeks ago, I traveled on the Silver Meteor twice, Crescent once, Capitol Limited once, Sunset Limited twice and Texas Eagle twice (and on the Crescent, we lost a great friend). To say the least, I do not remember exactly on which train, I had what (except CL). On at least 2 of the trains, the salmon was not available and shrimp was substituted. At least one of our group liked the shrimp. I did not try it. I remember that salmon was available on the Crescent. On at least one of the trains, neither the chocolate raspberry tarte nor pecan tarte was available, but a very tasty apple cobbler was offered. On one of the Sunset Limited trips, a very nice craft (new to me) beer was available in the cafe. Also the beer selection of the Capitol Limited was better than "usual."

If reasonable substitutes are offered when an item is not available, so that customers have some options, I don't think that is a big deal. On the other hand, the previous reports of stocking problems that seriously limited choices seem to be popping up more often. As JIS indicated, it is certainly not a new issue, is it getting worse, or are we just mentioning it more because of the whole dining car issue? I don't really know.

From my side, the problem with the CCC as diner is you have half as many tables for the diner, so getting dinner passengers becomes more of an ordeal. And that tends to result in the diner losing business from coach passengers since they fill up from sleepers first. So you have a whole car that can do half the business, but all of the kitchen.

As originally intended, the idea wasn't bad - for a small train, a combination diner and lounge would be a handy car to have - if it had observation windows in the lounge section. Moreover, I've noticed lots of people in my travels tend to kick back in the single seats in the observation lounge to read books, listen to music, or watch the countryside go by. With the lounge section of the CCC, not only do you have smaller windows, but the seating is all group seating and focused inwards, not outwards.

I would really love to see Amtrak embrace food service rather than push it away - come up with budget entrees that would be attractive to coach passengers, figure out how to get as many customers through the diner as possible, maybe even split it into a coach diner and a sleeper diner, with different menus or whatnot. Plus convert the SSL lower level into more of a convenience store on wheels, with more variety and self serve options. Don't see any of this happening with the current administration, be interesting to see what happens in the next year or so.

I don't think the CCC cars diner side seats less people than a full Superliner diner seats in practice. Meaning, the full diner has more physical seats, but they aren't all used during meal times.

In order to have larger seatings, you would have to have a larger staff.

The last few times I've been on the city, the CCC served as both diner and cafe with the lower level of the ssl closed.
Ditto. Two round trips on the CONO in the past 14 months and though there was both a CCC and SSL, the CCC served as diner and lounge and the lower level lounge on the SSL was closed.

I would really love to see Amtrak embrace food service rather than push it away - come up with budget entrees that would be attractive to coach passengers
Only experienced this once on either the Meteor or the Star when they had a diner. They made an announcement that they were having a special in the diner of a chicken dinner for $7.50. It was sold out by the time we got there for the second sitting.

Never experienced this before or since.

On another trip, and again only once, they announced as the diner closed that they were selling meals for takeout.

Seems like there certainly are things Amtrak could do to generate more revenue from the dining cars.

There’s also the “Just for you” meal service on certain western trains, which offers a pretty cheap, hot boxed meal for Coach passengers, eaten at their seat. Usually it comes with a meat entree, a side (I’ve seen mashed potatoes a few times), a large chocolate chip cookie, and a large bottle of water. I think it’s usually $10-12, and sells really well.

I'm thinking about doing a trip on the Lake Shore Limited in a sleeper. I have a few questions about this new dining change.

How many meals are served on the Lake Shore Limited between Boston and Chicago? It departs at ~1PM. Do they serve lunch? I'm assuming that they serve dinner. Do they serve breakfast since the arrival into Chicago is in the morning?

What does the amenity kit look like, and what does it contain?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinking about doing a trip on the Lake Shore Limited in a sleeper. I have a few questions about this new dining change.

How many meals are served on the Lake Shore Limited between Boston and Chicago? It departs at ~1PM. Do they serve lunch? I'm assuming that they serve dinner. Do they serve breakfast since the arrival into Chicago is in the morning?

Yes, all three meals are served.

Yes, all three meals are served.
You sure they serve lunch?

Lunch was served to Boston sleeper passengers out of the split car. The first meal out of NYP was dinner. I don't know how it is handled with both the diner and cafe out of Boston.
Between BOS and ALB (before the changes), sleeper passengers got a hot boxed meal, right?

Lunch was served to Boston sleeper passengers out of the split car. The first meal out of NYP was dinner. I don't know how it is handled with both the diner and cafe out of Boston.
Between BOS and ALB (before the changes), sleeper passengers got a hot boxed meal, right?
I have seen reports where they were given the option of something off the cafe menu in lieu of the box if they desired...(btw Bos and Alb) in the split cafe.

I've been served Lunch in the Cafe Car departing Boston every time I have ridden it.

You usually had a choice of 2 items, usually a Cold Sandwich or Salad, or you could order from the Cafe Menu.

With the new Fresh and Contemporary Menu and the Diner becoming a Sleeper Lounge", who knows?

We need a report from a recent rider on #449.

I've been served Lunch in the Cafe Car departing Boston every time I have ridden it.

You usually had a choice of 2 items, usually a Cold Sandwich or Salad, or you could order from the Cafe Menu.

With the new Fresh and Contemporary Menu and the Diner becoming a Sleeper Lounge", who knows?

We need a report from a recent rider on #449.
I don't know about the current meals on 449, but as I write, I'm on 448 just approaching Pittsfield. Lunch was officially 'finished' about 1:30 I think they said, and dinner will be from 5:00 until Worcester (6:44PM as we're on time at the moment).

I'll be on the 'restored' 449 after Labor Day. These days, I ride coach to ALB then get a sleeper in the NYP section...at the rear of the train. Up to perhaps 8-9 years ago, I booked sleeper all the way from SPG to CHI. The hot meals for sleeper passengers was served all together in one seating in the lounge car. There was a choice of 2-3 hot items, fairly comparable to what is served these days on the Cardinal. The meals in the AM II dinette recently on the LSL were a bit better than what was served from the lounge car. On my 449 trips in the past couple years, there's still the 'single seating' plan for those wanting dinner before arriving ALB. I may just take them up on that and get 'lounge car hot' vs $5,000,000 'refridgerator/lounge' car boxed cold.

For what it's worth, rather than the cold unpalletable boxed breakfast, I opted to sleep in and get 'brunch' in the lounge car about 10:30. Surprisingly, in chatting with the attendant, I was only the 2nd sleeper passenger to get a meal in the lounge. But then, the couple across the hall from me, this is their first time on a train in many many years. So it's most likely that even the more recent sleeper passengers will all be surprised at the changeover to cold food.

Almost forgot...my sleeping car attendant announced after leaving CHI we all have to go to the sleeper lounge car for our meals. Apparently she has no interest in room delivery. However, I did see one couple bring their boxed breakfasts to their room, only to see them get off 10 minutes later at the next stop. So much for customer service oriented SCAs. And she makes frequent, 2-3 minute announcements about trivial matters over the PA, too. Next trip, I think I'm going to duct tape the in room speaker as the volume control doesn't cut it off completely!

For those with reactive allergies, it could be life or death.
For me, death is unlikely, but being violently ill for three weeks is a likely consequence of allergen consumption.
The lack of ingredients lists is flat-out unacceptable.
Inside each box is a list of ingredients. I have food allergies and was able to read prior to consuming.
Do you recall if the ingredients listed preservatives? They are one thing that you find in prepacked foods that you are much less likely to find in freshly prepared meals - and are one reason some people have to stay away from deli meats and things with a long shelf life, such as the ready meals they're now serving. They pop up everywhere - a lot of wines, I've had to give up buying inexpensive imported spices at the ethnic grocery stores because everything is treated with sulfites to keep them fresh longer and switched to Penzey's as they list additives on the label.

Not sure if they will read it, but I hope you report the lack of customer service from your SCA, it's been advertised that the "fresh" food is to be delivered to your room OR eaten in the lounge.

Almost forgot...my sleeping car attendant announced after leaving CHI we all have to go to the sleeper lounge car for our meals. Apparently she has no interest in room delivery. However, I did see one couple bring their boxed breakfasts to their room, only to see them get off 10 minutes later at the next stop. So much for customer service oriented SCAs. And she makes frequent, 2-3 minute announcements about trivial matters over the PA, too. Next trip, I think I'm going to duct tape the in room speaker as the volume control doesn't cut it off completely!
I get that she's probably not too happy about having to deliver so many passengers' meals to their rooms now, but that's just not okay. I don't want to sound punitive or petty, but when an employee asks like that, I usually recommend calling USA-RAIL and letting them know that that employee was hostile and refused to carry out one of her major responsibilities.
EDIT: Darn. crescent-zephyr beat me to it.

It's just as the menu says... "Allowing you to experience your journey with no boundaries...except those petty and arbitrary ones set by our OBS personnel."

Oh wait, that's not what it says? Well, it's the implication anyway.

Why not do the just for you service on the Cap and LSL? It's a hot meal, filling, and satisfactory, and less trash. Maybe arrange a lighter option too, or pull one from the current bix menus.
Just for you still requires them to prepare a full hot meal. It's a good option if you want to offer coach passengers a relatively inexpensive meal and get some extra revenue where you wouldn't otherwise, but I don't see any reason why that's going to cost less or offer better food than the current system.

Back