Jackson, MS

Discussion in 'Southeast' started by Kenneth, Aug 27, 2016.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

1. Aug 27, 2016 #1

Kenneth

Kenneth

Kenneth

Service Attendant

I am doing a points run to Jackson. Arriving on southbound CONO, leaving that evening. Any thoughts on things to see near the station. Does anyone know if the station is a comfortable place to wait?

2. Aug 27, 2016 #2

lepearso

lepearso

lepearso

Lead Service Attendant

It's a nice station. The biggest attraction in the station district is the King Edward hotel. The last time I was in Jackson the downtown appeared to be slowly building up. I can't tell you if it has finally emerged as a vibrant area, but I know that's the goal.

dogbert617 likes this.
  3. Jul 9, 2019 #3

dogbert617

d

dogbert617

OBS Chief

Looking at the blocks of downtown not far from King Edward Hotel(now a Hilton Garden Inn, btw) on google street view, it looks like Jackson's downtown is starting to turn around to some extent. Also, I see others were right per looking at street view that both the Belhaven and Fondren neighborhoods(both to the north of downtown) are nice, as well.

I do wonder if anyone here has actually visited Jackson, and can say anything about this city per their experiences? Years ago I passed through there, but didn't stop.

4. Sep 13, 2019 #4

ruck

ruck

ruck

Train Attendant

My daughter and I recently took a trip on the CONO to Jackson, arriving in the morning and departing in the evening on a Saturday. The area around the station was pretty dead, maybe one homeless person but otherwise few people/cars.

We walked to the Museum of Mississippi History and the Mississippi Civil Rights Museum which share a lobby. There are lockers, not sure if they'd be wide enough for a roll-on. We had two backpacks and were fine. There's a small cafe.

Highly recommend both of the museums. The Civil Rights Museum in particular pulls no punches.

dogbert617 likes this.
  5. Oct 11, 2019 #5

dogbert617

d

dogbert617

OBS Chief

Thanks for your response! That's good you mentioned the MS History Museum and the MS Civil Rights Museum, since I hadn't yet begun to research museums and also other things to do in Jackson, yet. I guess I also could go on a tour of the Mississippi state capitol building, if I can find when those are offered? Or just walk through that building, on my own.

Besides of course, perhaps checking out a few Jackson neighborhoods(i.e. Fondren, Belhaven, etc).