Jackson MS Tips?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saddleshoes

Service Attendant
Hey Guys

I want to use the collective knowledge of this forum again. (It's been SO good in the past.)

We are taking the CONO Chicago to Jackson MS in few weeks. I am looking for a good hotel and car rental options near the station. Can you help us out????

You didn't indicate your Price Range, the closest "nice" Chain Hotel to the Amtrak/Intermodel Station (Greyhound is there too) is the Jackson Marriott ($100-$200 a Night depending. )

Farther awsy from downtown on the bi-pass there are Chain Motels like the Comfort Inn etc. for under $100 a night.

All the National Car Rental Chains have offices in Jackson. Google is your friend!

Last edited by a moderator:
Jackson is not a safe town at night. The Jackson Marriot is a reasonable, but uphill, bag-drag from the Amtrak Station (I've walked it) but you don't want to hang-out anywhere to the south and west. Enterprise should deliver you a car to the station.

The Marroitt is nearly 700 yards from the station but the Hilton is only 100 yards. But, I suppose even a Hilton can be a dump (although it's rated 2 of 42 hotels in Jackson on TripAdvisor while the Marriott is rated 5 of 42.) Those two are the closest to the train station and have over 1,200 reviews on TripAdvisor.

The Marroitt is nearly 700 yards from the station but the Hilton is only 100 yards. But, I suppose even a Hilton can be a dump (although it's rated 2 of 42 hotels in Jackson on TripAdvisor while the Marriott is rated 5 of 42.) Those two are the closest to the train station and have over 1,200 reviews on TripAdvisor.
More like 600 yards but I've stayed at the Marriott and walked to the Amtrak station. I have not stayed at the Hilton. Not sure I could recommend one over the other.

The Hilton Garden Inn is just accross the street from the station. This is the old King Edwards Hotel from the 40's that has been renovated to the Garden Inn.

Last edited by a moderator:
Having only seen it from the train, but the King Edward is a great old classic hotel. And if it's now a Garden Inn - that's where I'd go and not think twice about it. Kudos to Jackson and Hilton for bringing it back to life.

If you get ambitious and look at the area on Google Earth, you'll notice a Sleep Inn & Suites hotel about 5 blocks SW of the station. That hotel is closed.

I spent three days in Jackson in 2015. We stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn which is just across the road from the Amtrak station.

In contrast to what we were warned, we did not find downtown Jackson to be dangerous. We walked to all different places, some of them at night, and didn't feel or see any danger.

We went on a guided tour of the State Capitol. We also visited the history musem which is in the old capitol. At night we went to various music venues to listen to Blues Music. Our overall impression was that the town was very quiet and ordered, albeit maybe stuck in a bit of a time warp. But that's what makes out its charm.

In contrast to what we were warned, we did not find downtown Jackson to be dangerous. We walked to all different places, some of them at night, and didn't feel or see any danger.
"Jackson rates fourth in the nation this year in homicides per capita of reporting agencies, but officials advise against using the UCR to rank cities for several reasons. The main one is that there are cities which do not report." (http://www.clarionledger.com/story/news/2015/10/01/fbi-miss-capital-city-homicides/73181106/)

"Jackson rates fourth in the nation this year in homicides per capita of reporting agencies, but officials advise against using the UCR to rank cities for several reasons. The main one is that there are cities which do not report." (http://www.clarionledger.com/story/news/2015/10/01/fbi-miss-capital-city-homicides/73181106/)
Sure, I know.

But I guess that must relate to the metro area (if you can call it that) rather than to the immediate downtown area.

We walked down lots of different streets and were actually quite surprised that everything was so clean, no graffiti, didn't hear any police sirens. Not at all what you'd expect a supposeldy crime ridden area to be like.

All the people we met were also very welcoming and friendly. It does seem though that they don't get many tourists there as they aren't really set up for it. We struggled for example to find a place to have a coffee or a bite to eat. Most seemed to have Monday to Friday schedules to suit the office workers and then shut down for the weekend.

In most of Mississippi we don't lock our doors, don't have surveillance cameras everywhere and feel free to walk just about anywhere at any time of day. Jackson is the exception. In general, the NE part of the city is better and the SW is worse The dividing line runs along the RR tracks just west of downtown.

When in Jackson, one should try to eat a Bravo!, Char & Broad Street Bakery. Char is kind of spendy for dinner but lunch is reasonable. Breakfast or lunch at Broad Street. Dinner at Bravo! They're all within a couple of blocks of each other. Now, if you want some "real food" drive down US49 to Richland and find "Old Timer's BBQ". It's just a bit south of the Tractor Supply.

Back