Is the point redemption in a roomette the same for 1 or 2 passengers?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yarrow

Engineer
far ne washington state, 1/2 mile from canada
i called agr with this question and the agent gave what, in the past anyway, was an incorrect answer. it's been awhile since i redeemed points for a roomette. so, is it still the case that if i use points for a roomette that the amount of points is the same whether 1 or 2 travel in the roomette? thanks

Under the old AGR, when the point counts were per zone, a sleeper award was for two people. Now, with sleeper awards based on the actual price a sleeper award is one set charge for the room regardless of how many occupants plus rail fare for each occupant.

thanks JayPea. so, the agr agent was correct. just another downgrade in redemption for those of us who remember the old agr. those were the days.

thanks JayPea. so, the agr agent was correct. just another downgrade in redemption for those of us who remember the old agr. those were the days.

There were several thread discussions years ago when the zone-based system was replaced with the current one. IIRC, those who benefited pointswise more from the new system were split about 50-50 with those who benefited more from the old system. The results varied quite a bit for each respondee, depending on start and end points for one's trip (i.e., how many zone borders were crossed) and how many travellers were in the party.

Since it is now based on price, you pay (as if you paid cash) per person and then pay one accommodation charge for the room. Thus the points needed are different for 1 passenger than it is for 2 passengers.

Also, under the old system, a trip from say Boston to Charlotte and Boston to Atlanta cost the same amount of points - as they were both 1 zone trips. Now a trip to Charlotte most likely costs less points. A trip from New York to Chicago would cost less than a trip from New York to El Paso or Denver - even though they were all 2 zone trips under the old system!

Back