Is it possible to book Chicago-LA Via Texas Eagle?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TylerP42

Conductor
Hey friends!

I am trying to see if it's possible to book Chicago-LA via the Texas Eagle.

Just to see if it was possible, I suppose. Maybe a future trip if I can save some money and have the time.

Whenever I try booking it, it never gives me the option. Only gives me the option to take the Southwest Chief, the Zephyr to Sacramento, then San Joaquin's, then bus, and also the Empire Builder to Coast Starlight. No option to take the Texas Eagle.

Would I have to call or what?

EDIT:

I'm an idiot. I guess this is what happens when you're up at 2 AM for work. It's thrice weekly.

Hey friends!

I am trying to see if it's possible to book Chicago-LA via the Texas Eagle.

Just to see if it was possible, I suppose. Maybe a future trip if I can save some money and have the time.

Whenever I try booking it, it never gives me the option. Only gives me the option to take the Southwest Chief, the Zephyr to Sacramento, then San Joaquin's, then bus, and also the Empire Builder to Coast Starlight. No option to take the Texas Eagle.

Would I have to call or what?

The Eagle from CHI-LA only runs on certain days as it's shared with the Sunset Limited from San Antonio to LA. It runs on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays all the way to LA. Other days it's terminated in SA as the SSL doesn't run.

Here's a link to the schedule.

https://www.amtrak.com/content/dam/...ts/timetables/Texas-Eagle-Schedule-031019.pdf

Did it in January. The Texas Eagle shares the same LAX-CHI “buckets” or fares as the SWC making the Texas Eagle the cheapest way to spend a lot of time on a train (I think we determined it’s the lowest per mile fare in country on a earlier thread).

For example, for the same price as the SWC you get an extra 24 hours on the train and the 3 meals that go along with it.

Love the Sunset Limited part of the ride, great scenery. The Eagle while it isn’t my favorite has its charms as well.

Last edited:
I do CHI-LAX on #421 or on #422 the other way at least once per year. As Amtrakflier noted above, it's the best per-mile going, and 3 extra meals as well. I always take a sleeper, and while they are switching the cars from #21 to #1 or #2 to #22, these days, I'm usually sound asleep and don't even notice it happening.

Back