Iowa Pacific - Can It Be Duplicated Elsewhere?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been wondering about the Ringling equipment. I know the sets are bespoke, but IIRC there were either two or three trains with a ton of cars.
OK, Google is my friend:

http://www.trainweb.org/carl/CircusTrains/CircusTrainConsist.htm

32 or 33 "coaches" per train -- but although originally coaches, they appear to mostly be converted to sleeping accomodations. I can't find any photos of the interior layout. Each consist has a dining car and a generator car. Not sure what other types.

This may be the largest and best-maintained uniform fleet of historic cars out there; hopefully someone (Iowa Pacific?) can pick it up in one piece and arrange to use it to add capacity to certain Amtrak trains.

OK, I found ONE interior photo:

https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1270774

Yeah. A private operator should pick these up and operate them as top-end sleepers (similar to the top-end sleepers on the Canadian) on the back of some Amtrak trains. They've been rebuilt recently enough that they'll be in decent shape, and there are *enough of them* to run daily. Even on several trains. If Amtrak would agree to hauling.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Indiana Department of Transportation announced today that, beginning March 1st, the Hoosier State (train nos. 850 and 851) will transition back to utilizing Amtrak equipment"

The decision brings an end to an exciting experiment that saw the train run as a joint partnership between Iowa Pacific Holdings; INDOT; Amtrak; and the cities of Crawfordsville, Lafayette, and Rensselaer. Iowa Pacific hoped to drive ridership increases by providing enhanced passenger amenities, such as full-service dining and dome cars. (Iowa Pacific relied on Amtrak crews to operate the train, utilizing Amtrak's experience and national structure to meet federal safety and insurance requirements.)

INDOT did not immediately provide a reason for the transition back to Amtrak equipment. In its statement, the agency did say it was planning on providing enhanced on-board amenities, including Wi-Fi and business class seating.

Copyright © *|YEAR|* National Association of Railroad Passengers, All rights reserved.
You are receiving this email as a member or because you opted in on our website to receive notifications

The way I envision Hoosier State service being successful is that the route must be made into a regional commuter route, a similar service to the BNSF/Burlington, and South Shore Line trains currently serving Chicago. This means that the route must see regular and faster service, perhaps a train every two hours. The train service must be made to fit the commuter needs and not the other way around. Right now you have an LD type train on what can be considered a commuter route. I know the chances of regular service on the HS line are nil but I believe that my suggestion has some validity.

The way I envision Hoosier State service being successful is that the route must be made into a regional commuter route, a similar service to the BNSF/Burlington, and South Shore Line trains currently serving Chicago. This means that the route must see regular and faster service, perhaps a train every two hours. The train service must be made to fit the commuter needs and not the other way around. Right now you have an LD type train on what can be considered a commuter route. I know the chances of regular service on the HS line are nil but I believe that my suggestion has some validity.
A commuter operation between Indianapolis and Chicago is neither a practical nor appropriate service model for the route. Passengers on the route - even after schedule and frequency improvements (a pipe dream at this point) - are generally not going to be daily commuters. Rather, what is ideally needed is something more akin to the San Joaquins or Lincoln Service to St. Louis; At least four or five daily departures spread every few hours throughout the day, supplemented by long-distance service. With such service wholly being an Indiana responsibility, I wouldn't hold my breath. In an ideal world, we'd have a new 403(b) program (or similar), which might - emphasis on might - get the ball rolling on this and several other viable regional routes.

However, regular service will remain on the Hoosier State route, only it will be operated by Amtrak for the interim instead of Iowa Pacific.

Back