Interesting Acela Fare Note

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acela150

Super Buff
As many of you are aware I take Amtrak to the Boston area from Philly quite a bit. I was looking into something for another online forum and took note of something very interesting. The First Class fare.

PHL to the Boston area is 311, 321, or 322 miles depending on your station choice. WAS-NYP is about 220 miles. Since I tend to pay for my FC seat now due to the assigned seating I'm well aware of the low bucket price. PHL to the Boston area is $271 FC low bucket. WAS-NYP low bucket? $276! So one can get an extra hundred miles of railroad under their belt for $5 less low bucket. WAS-NYP high bucket is $455-461. PHL to the Boston area high bucket $439-445

Boston Area to NYP low bucket is $190. High bucket it's $316.

The stuff one sees when looking into stupid things. LOL!

It's demand based not distance based. Not uncommon in transportation. While I prefer the train to Denver and the drive to Colorado Springs, some years I've flown. Usually LGA-DEN and drive, to avoid the wait for connection and very bumpy short flight DEN-COS or a connection to an RJ at ORD. One year, the fare was $70 less each way using the same flight I usually took to DEN and connecting to COS than if I went only to DEN.

Last December, I was looking into Eurostar prices for my trip Europe trip. The ticket price for London to Brussels was twice the price of London to Amsterdam and all trains stop in Brussels. Well it was a no brainer what I did.

Last December, I was looking into Eurostar prices for my trip Europe trip. The ticket price for London to Brussels was twice the price of London to Amsterdam and all trains stop in Brussels. Well it was a no brainer what I did.
Yeah, the only pain at present is that when heading from Amsterdam to London, one has to take an earlier Thalys to Brussels to clear C&I at Brussels Midi and then board a Eurostar to London. Of course through connecting tickets are sold by Eurostar for the entire trip. But until the C&I facility at Amsterdam goes on line, hopefully sometime this year, this rigmarole will continue.

Between stopping off at Brussels and going all the way to Amsterdam, I cannot imagine why anyone would care to stop off at Brussels Midi, the rabbit's warren that is falling apart that it is, instead of going all the way to the spectacular Amsterdam Centraal. But that may be just me.

Back