Infill Amtrak stops

Discussion in 'Amtrak’s Future: Member Ideas and Discussion' started by railgeekteen, Mar 30, 2018.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

1. Apr 10, 2019 #26

Ashland Train Enthusiast

Ashland Train Enthusiast

Ashland Train Enthusiast

Service Attendant

Anderson, do you know the latest discussion around the Orange station stop? I was involved in some conversations with the CoC a couple of years ago about making the case to DPRT and Amtrak based on the experiences ASD had, but haven't heard anything about this moving one way or the other.

Looks like Amtrak/NCDOT has decided that Kannapolis does work ;-). I've always thought that with the explosion of growth in the NW suburbs that there would be appetite for a station in the UNCC/Harrisburg area, with easy access of of 485.

2. Apr 10, 2019 #27

jis

jis

jis

Conductor AU Lifetime Supporter Gathering Team Member

I have taken a Piedmont to Kannapolis. So Amtrak does stop there already.

3. Apr 11, 2019 #28

Anderson

A

Anderson

Conductor

You're right, that's my bad. I was using LD timetables for the most part.

4. Apr 13, 2019 #29

KMSAlex

K

KMSAlex

I travel somewhat often to Rutgers University from Central SC and back. Orignally being from NJ i've been suprrised to find that New brunswick is surved by Amtrak at all. Only 1 train south bound and 2 north bound. Is this station owned by Amtrak? It's rather historic and has an amtrak ticket office but looks to be more controlled by NJTransit.

I've never boarded or de-trained here, I go to Metropark, NWK, or Trenton and back track. Does Amtrak have a history of stopping here more often, and do the high speed cross overs mean a likely increase in service here? Or is it not warented, unsure of how popular amtrak service is here.

5. Apr 13, 2019 #30

jis

jis

jis

Conductor AU Lifetime Supporter Gathering Team Member

AFAIK all NEC station in NJ except Newark Airport, are owned and operated by NJTransit. Newark Airport is PANYNJ thing IIRC.

All Clockers stopped there. Amtrak has in general downgraded service within New Jersey and concentrated on serving Newark Penn, Newark Airport, Metropark and Trenton. They have been up and down on Princeton Jct., and New Brunswick is basically just an afterthought. I don;t think that will change anytime soon.

6. Apr 13, 2019 #31

thully

t

thully

OBS Chief

From my time in San Diego, I’d say a station between located near UTC mall with a connection to the future Mid-Coast Trolley line and nearby bus service would be useful. Would be more convienent for UCSD/Scripps as well as those destined for Sorrento Valley (home of Qualcomm and other major tech companies in SD). Of course, that may be difficult without other work there (such as a tunnel under UTC), though I do recall a Coaster station was studied for Nobel Dr. (There also is a Coaster station at Sorrento Valley, though the only other transit there are dedicated shuttles for the Coaster trains).