Infill Amtrak stops

Discussion in 'Amtrak’s Future: Member Ideas and Discussion' started by railgeekteen, Mar 30, 2018.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

1. Apr 10, 2019 #26

Ashland Train Enthusiast

Ashland Train Enthusiast

Ashland Train Enthusiast

Service Attendant

Anderson, do you know the latest discussion around the Orange station stop? I was involved in some conversations with the CoC a couple of years ago about making the case to DPRT and Amtrak based on the experiences ASD had, but haven't heard anything about this moving one way or the other.

Looks like Amtrak/NCDOT has decided that Kannapolis does work ;-). I've always thought that with the explosion of growth in the NW suburbs that there would be appetite for a station in the UNCC/Harrisburg area, with easy access of of 485.

2. Apr 10, 2019 #27

jis

jis

jis

Conductor AU Lifetime Supporter Gathering Team Member

I have taken a Piedmont to Kannapolis. So Amtrak does stop there already.

3. Apr 11, 2019 #28

Anderson

A

Anderson

Conductor

You're right, that's my bad. I was using LD timetables for the most part.

4. Apr 13, 2019 #29

KMSAlex

K

KMSAlex

I travel somewhat often to Rutgers University from Central SC and back. Orignally being from NJ i've been suprrised to find that New brunswick is surved by Amtrak at all. Only 1 train south bound and 2 north bound. Is this station owned by Amtrak? It's rather historic and has an amtrak ticket office but looks to be more controlled by NJTransit.

I've never boarded or de-trained here, I go to Metropark, NWK, or Trenton and back track. Does Amtrak have a history of stopping here more often, and do the high speed cross overs mean a likely increase in service here? Or is it not warented, unsure of how popular amtrak service is here.

5. Apr 13, 2019 #30

jis

jis

jis

Conductor AU Lifetime Supporter Gathering Team Member

AFAIK all NEC station in NJ except Newark Airport, are owned and operated by NJTransit. Newark Airport is PANYNJ thing IIRC.

All Clockers stopped there. Amtrak has in general downgraded service within New Jersey and concentrated on serving Newark Penn, Newark Airport, Metropark and Trenton. They have been up and down on Princeton Jct., and New Brunswick is basically just an afterthought. I don;t think that will change anytime soon.

6. Apr 13, 2019 #31

thully

t

thully

OBS Chief

From my time in San Diego, I’d say a station between located near UTC mall with a connection to the future Mid-Coast Trolley line and nearby bus service would be useful. Would be more convienent for UCSD/Scripps as well as those destined for Sorrento Valley (home of Qualcomm and other major tech companies in SD). Of course, that may be difficult without other work there (such as a tunnel under UTC), though I do recall a Coaster station was studied for Nobel Dr. (There also is a Coaster station at Sorrento Valley, though the only other transit there are dedicated shuttles for the Coaster trains).

7. Apr 22, 2019 #32

Siegmund

Siegmund

Siegmund

Train Attendant

There was - so I was told second hand long ago - a company "rule" that stops had to be more than 50 miles apart. Or that a new stop had to be that far from an old stop, or something. This rule was cited as the reason the Pioneer quit stopping in Brigham City, UT, for instance.

If anyone has any firm history on that alleged rule, I'd be interested to hear it. I am skeptical that it ever existed, given how many exceptions there were (and how many new exceptions get made - adding Leavenworth, WA to the Builder, for instance.)

On routes where Amtrak already doesn't compete well on a speed basis, it doesn't seem like a bad idea. If we actually get twice-daily frequencies on more LD routes, then there is room to distinguish 'local' and 'express' service.

I think a freight railroad might rather like the idea of a local - a 70MPH through freight and a 79MPH passenger making frequent stops might 'fleet' quite well.

8. May 14, 2019 #33

ehbowen

ehbowen

ehbowen

Conductor

I'd like to see a Sunset Limited stop added between Houston and San Antonio.

Bob Dylan and Pere Flyer like this.
  9. May 15, 2019 at 9:36 PM #34

Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Conductor

Several towns have worked on this( with Flatonia the most active) but so far UP and Amtrak have not given the OK to any of the Plans since they probably dont add up financially!( plus the Daily CHI-LAX Texas Eagle is still a possibility with a Stub Train proposed for SAS-NOL.)

Last edited: May 16, 2019 at 4:17 AM
  10. May 15, 2019 at 11:10 PM #35

AlamoWye

A

AlamoWye

Train Attendant

Actually UP did give approval for the Flatonia stop in 2017, of course with some conditions. When I was there for Czhilispiel last October, it didn't look like much had happened but they are planning to use the old depot, which had been converted to a police station, once again. I just don't know if any town would see much benefit until, unless, the Sunset is made daily

https://www.fayettecountyrecord.com...op-closer-ever-after-union-pacific’s-approval

ehbowen and Pere Flyer like this.