In the News...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh my God.........I have tears in my eyes right now and a lump in my throat. I remember a man in a wheelchair blocking the door of the bathroom in Glenwood Spriings. He had oxygen strapped to his face and was in real poor shape. I didn't know if he was waiting for passengers to disembark or waiting to be boarded. I remember a woman standing near him and she seemed to be dressed somewhat sharply and in style. Good gosh.......................... I've lost 3 family members in the last 3 years. I feel for the family and for the Amtrak personel on the train who had to deal with this situation. If we have a Higher Power, lets all say a prayer for this man and his family tonight.

Al

Here is the full Story Courdisey of Gene Poon

The Conductor on Amtrak Train 6(2), the California Zephyr, received a strange message from the National Operations Center at about 545pm yesterday...he was to check to see if a passenger in a Sleeping Car room aboard his train was dead.

Sure enough...the passenger was, indeed, dead.

What had happened was that a couple had been traveling west on Amtrak Train 5 but had detrained in Colorado because one of them, with terminal cancer, had become ill. They then booked a return trip to Chicago, during which the ill passenger died. The deceased's companion intentionally didn't want to tell anyone about it, to avoid having the remains removed from the train prior to Chicago; took all meals in the Sleeping Car room; and told crew members that the dead passenger was "asleep." On approaching Chicago, the companion made a cellphone call to request that their funeral director meet the train and remove the remains. The funeral director then called Amtrak to check on the train's arrival time (it was over two hours late), and only then did anyone else know that the passenger was dead.

Actually, this is not at all that strange nor much of a surprise to me. IMHO, the way the lady handled the situation was not in the best judgment on her part. However, she was only doing what she thought was right at the time. And Amtrak is not responsible for transporting undocumented human remains in this case simply because nobody knew about the death but her. It is a sad situation, but we all have to experience death at some point. One just never knows when and exactly where it may occur. I personally don't want to die on the train!

The reason I say this occurance is not that uncommon is simply because I have been on numerous trips where someone died enroute. I will note on one trip this occured and it kinda killed the day a little. Somewhere down below RVR on the NB "Silver Star," an "old farm hand" gentleman came into the dining car to have his breakfast. He had gotten on the train in SAV the night before. I sat him, served him his breakfast, he paid the LSA, and left me a great tip! He was also a very jovial individual, in a great mood, and I enjoyed talking with him towards the end of his meal. He commented that he was absolutely happy he could get his grits with his eggs! I had saved some of the gravy from the night before from the "early bird special country fried steak" that was on the menu at the time to have with my biscuits when I had breakfast. He asked if we had some gravy, too for his biscuit. And instead of telling him "No we don't have it" (because biscuit and gravy was not on the menu), I just warmed up about half of what I saved, and brought it out to him. Man I am glad I did that, now!

Anyway, we were between TRE and NWK, and recieved word we might be sitting in NWK for a long time because someone in the coaches had died, and we would have to wait for a coroner. It was Sunday of course, and it took over two hours to get the coroner to the train at NWK. I found out it was the "old farm hand" I had served breakfast to earlier that morning. He died down between ALX and WAS, and his nephew (who was riding with him) didn't tell anyone because he didn't want to hold the train up and inconvenience the other passengers being we were already three hours down. But the train attendant figured it out after he quietly observed each time he passed by, and the old man didn't get up and go to the bathroom a a very long time! I really hated to hear that it was him, but what do you do? In a perfect world our passengers wouldn't ever die while on their trip!

But anyway, this is not all that uncommon especially with older folks traveling the train. But it is kinda unusual for it to recieve the press it got in this case. All in all the survivors in the affected family will still have to deal with their loss. God bless them. OBS...

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think anyone expects that they will get on Amtrak and then the person they are traveling with will suddenly die. It is quite possible, that in a moment of panic, fear, and grief, this woman only had one thought on her mind: "I have to get ___ back to Chicago!" And then she did what she did to make that happen.

I'm not sure how straight I would have been thinking at that moment either.

I have personally laid to rest 3 members of my family in the last 3 years. I can totally agree with the last post. Shock, and exhaustion sets in and the mind just doesn't think quite rationally. This is a person who was watching thier father die bit by bit for probably some time now. It is a grind of epic proportions that I (and others on this forum) have had to experience with the game we call "life".

I read today on another forum dealing with Amtrak that the father wanted to go on "one last train ride". That was touching. This whole time I couldn't figure out why he was on a train in the first place. That answered it completely. He died doing something he totally enjoyed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back