I met " The Gunn!"

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Miami Joe

Lead Service Attendant
Hi guys!! B)

Got to work at 3:15pm and saw a bunch of vehicles in the yard. At that point I knew Dave was somewhere in the yard.

#91 is running 4 hrs late, so I was trying to figure out how to build #98 for the workshift comong in. Got the consist together but still short 2 V/L's and a crew dorm. They will come from #91 tonight.

After I got done, went to the lunchroom and there was Dave and his entourage. The meeting had already started, so when I stepped in the room and went to sit down, he stood up, shook my hand and introduced himself. How cool!!!!

He had his VP of Gov't Affairs with him and a few other guys. The guy is young and looks like Bill Gates. He explained that they were here for a conference and talked to various congressmen and senators. All the "big boys" from Hialeah were here, so it was a little uncomfortable.

Anyway, he discussed the fianancial situation and is confident about the progress he's made. He's not too worried about the budget as long as we continue to operate under the "continuing resolution."

He told us about living in Nova Scotia. He goes home every 4-5 weeks for a 3 day weekend, then back to Washington.

I asked him about the Acela project and he filled us in on the discussions with Bombardier and Alstom. He was very well informed and knew alot about the mechanical aspects of train components.

All together, he spent about 45 minutes talking to us and answering questions from the employees.

One thing, I forgot to say. He looks nothing like the pictures online. He stands about 5'10", thin and very athletic.

He will be leaving tomorrow on #98 and says will be back!!!

Looking forward to seeing him again soon!!

Amfleet said:
This is one guy who cares about his employees. That is really awsome that the Gunn introduced himself to you. B)
Could've said it better myself, congrats Joe. :) I hope I'll be lucky enough to meet him some day.

That is VERY cool, Joe! I'm jealous. If I'm lucky, I'll get to work again over this summer, and maybe I'll get to meet him too (fingers crossed).

Allen

That is cool!! Encouraging...You will remember this always.......so glad to have Gunn at the helm....we all are. And, he must be a "people person" as well as a "train person"....that makes for the best kind,to be in his position.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back