Hub and spoke

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

velotrain

Service Attendant
I just had a thought - do hub and spoke trips to get maximum daylight riding.

Chicago is the obvious choice, with mostly sunlight on the outbound trip to the next major city (on the routes west and south) - stay overnight and have good meals, and 3 of 4 have full daylight on the return run.

N'awlins is the other choice, with almost all daylight to the next major city on three lines, and full daylight on the return

Stay an extra night as you wish. Unless you really want to get to a distant point, this gives you a maximum of daylight riding in an intense week. Sit on the opposite side for the return and it will be a different trip.

Sit on the opposite side for the return and it will be a different trip.

I have heard people say this but I do not quite get it ...

If I am traveling on a northbound train and I am sitting on the right side I will see the view to the east ... if I return later on the southbound train and "sit on the opposite side", the left side, I will still see the view to the east.

In order to see the view to the west, I would need to sit on the same side of the car in both directions ... since that side is going to face the opposite direction on the return trip - unless the car is being pulled backward in one direction.

The general expression is meant in terms of the opposite view from the train, not the opposite side of the same physical car. This is by far how the vast majority of thinking people intend and interpret this statement.

Actually - since the train is turned and the seats reversed, you would sit on the right side again (my preference - partly not to be blocked by passing trains). So - although it is the same physical side (right), it is now the opposite side in terms of what you see in that you're looking west and not east. QED

I agree, sitting on the right side of the car in both direction gives the best view ... as for "thinking people" - I have heard more than one person say they needed to sit on the "same side" (meaning the car) because they interpreted "the other side" to mean the car, not the trip ... then again, maybe they were not thinking people - or the majority

Back