How logical would...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shawn Ryu

Conductor
Since California is closer to getting a high speed rail, one must assume they must electrify the entire corridor.

Made me curious, if Amtrak somehow wants to use the electric catenary for their other CA routes, can the Superliners/Surfliners be logically pulled by current Amtrak electric locomotives?

No reason they can't be. Just don't know where you think this will apply. The high speed will be on dedicated track. There was a scheme years ago to electrify Los Angeles to San Diego. It died a fairly quick death because the people living near the coast complained about the "visual pollution" that the overhead wire would be.

No reason they can't be. Just don't know where you think this will apply. The high speed will be on dedicated track. There was a scheme years ago to electrify Los Angeles to San Diego. It died a fairly quick death because the people living near the coast complained about the "visual pollution" that the overhead wire would be.
Maybe San Joaquin route or Capital Corridor. I think those are fairly busy lines.

Maybe once US high speed rail becomes more and more prominent and there are more high speed rail services, more tracks can be electrified. I mean I know the high speed trains are most likely going to be on a seperate tracks but while they are at it, they can electrify the rails parallel to the new high speed tracks. If that happens Superliner need to be able to be pulled by electric locomotive. I just cant see AEM or HHP pulling Superliners.

Maybe San Joaquin route or Capital Corridor. I think those are fairly busy lines.

Maybe once US high speed rail becomes more and more prominent and there are more high speed rail services, more tracks can be electrified. I mean I know the high speed trains are most likely going to be on a seperate tracks but while they are at it, they can electrify the rails parallel to the new high speed tracks. If that happens Superliner need to be able to be pulled by electric locomotive. I just cant see AEM or HHP pulling Superliners.
You "can't see" an AEM7 or HHP pulling Superliners because you don't believe it is possible, or just because you have never seen it and think it would look odd?

For the sake of discussion, let's assume the Capitol Corridor was electrified. Even then, it would seem reasonable to assume that the California Zephyr and Coast Starlight would still use diesels, rather than switching to electrics for a relatively short distance. Capitol Corridor trains, I suppose, would be electric in that case, but who knows what sort of equipment would be used at that point? California Cars (or their successors) pulled by some sort of electric locomotive? EMUs?

Last edited by a moderator:

You "can't see" an AEM7 or HHP pulling Superliners because you don't believe it is possible, or just because you have never seen it and think it would look odd?

For the sake of discussion, let's assume the Capitol Corridor was electrified. Even then, it would seem reasonable to assume that the California Zephyr and Coast Starlight would still use diesels, rather than switching to electrics for a relatively short distance. Capitol Corridor trains, I suppose, would be electric in that case, but who knows what sort of equipment would be used at that point? California Cars (or their successors) pulled by some sort of electric locomotive? EMUs?
It would look odd. I cant say its impossible, because if one engine is too weak then they can use 2 or 3 engines.

Considering that the AEM-7 and HHP-8 have almost twice as much power as a P-42, the amount of power available isn't an issue. You'd have to make sure that the catenary was high enough to clear Superliners but not too high that the Pantograph couldn't reach (which is certainly possible).

To help one visulize Supers being pulled by AEM-7s & HHP-8s here are some screen captures from Trainz I took of just that.

Click on picture to enlarge.

peter

Nice work! The AEM-7 doesn't look bad because of the baggage car, and really the HHP-8 doesn't look all that different than MARC's HHP-8's pulling the Bilevels (they are about 2 feet shorter than a SL, though):

4702.1152374400.jpg

http://railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=150529&nseq=7

Considering that the AEM-7 and HHP-8 have almost twice as much power as a P-42, the amount of power available isn't an issue. You'd have to make sure that the catenary was high enough to clear Superliners but not too high that the Pantograph couldn't reach (which is certainly possible).
The Superliners from the Capitol Limited negotiate the catenary at WAS just fine because from what I understand of the station layout, they have to negotiate under the catenary to get to the low level platforms (which also have catenary). In other words, they don't have a separate special wire-free track at WAS just for the CL's Superliners to use.

After traveling through WAS daily for over 3 years, I'm well aware of that. That's why I said that it's "certainly possible". I just mentioned it because it would have to be a design consideration whenever the line was constructed/electrified.

The Cap could use tracks 7 or 8 which are low platform and not under the wire, but they never do since they're in the portion of the station that MARC uses.

After traveling through WAS daily for over 3 years, I'm well aware of that. That's why I said that it's "certainly possible". I just mentioned it because it would have to be a design consideration whenever the line was constructed/electrified.

The Cap could use tracks 7 or 8 which are low platform and not under the wire, but they never do since they're in the portion of the station that MARC uses.
Well how tall is the Superliner? Some sources have it as around 19ft and some as 16ft.

How tall is AEM?

I apologize Ryan, I misunderstood where you were coming from.

The Superliners from the Capitol Limited negotiate the catenary at WAS just fine because from what I understand of the station layout, they have to negotiate under the catenary to get to the low level platforms (which also have catenary). In other words, they don't have a separate special wire-free track at WAS just for the CL's Superliners to use.
Why does the low platform need catenary? Only VRE and Cap Lim. would use it and both only need diesel engines.

There is no reach problem for the pantographs. The wire on the Pennsylvania Railroad electrification varied in height from around 15 feet all the way up to 22 feet in territory where EMU's operated and 23 feet where they did not. In other words, the GG1's and other electric locomtives designed and built 80 plus years ago could handle a wide range of catenary heights, so it can still be done. If currently used technology supposedly can't do it, then resurect the way it was done in the past. Note the reach of teh pantograph in Ryan's picture.

The passenger train loco assignments are always based on the power needs, not like freight, where low priority trains are powered with engines having just enough weight to meet the adhesion requirements needed to get up the steepest grade on the route without stalling.

I do not even understand the "can't see an electric loco pulling superliners. Tnat is the ultimate non-issue. According to wiki, they are cleared to run 100 mph, so there is no real issue there on any of the California lines.

i think it would make good sense to eelctrify the line used by the Capitol Corridor and CZ from San Jose to at least Reno. San Jose to Sacramento for the sake of the Capitol Corridor, the remainder for the sake of freight going over the Sierra.

Why does the low platform need catenary? Only VRE and Cap Lim. would use it and both only need diesel engines.
They're also used by the Crescent, Silvers, Carolinian, Palmetto, Cardinal and Regionals that come from the south. These particular tracks that connect with the Capitol tunnels all have low level platforms as I understand it. Those all perform an engine change from diesel to electric so there has to be catenary to support a run around maneuver in both directions.

I apologize Ryan, I misunderstood where you were coming from.
No worries - sometimes I forget that everyone can't read my mind. :)

According to my Technical drawings; the Superliner Is are 16' 1.5" tall. I'm not sure about the AEM-7s.

peter
The K cars are 15'6" - I thought for sure that there was more than 6 inches of difference.

The AEM-7 isn't all that much shorter than the K-cars:

MARC_4901.jpg

There is no reach problem for the pantographs. The wire on the Pennsylvania Railroad electrification varied in height from around 15 feet all the way up to 22 feet in territory where EMU's operated and 23 feet where they did not. In other words, the GG1's and other electric locomtives designed and built 80 plus years ago could handle a wide range of catenary heights, so it can still be done. If currently used technology supposedly can't do it, then resurect the way it was done in the past. Note the reach of teh pantograph in Ryan's picture.
I was trying to remember the range of the heights of the catenary - I thought that some of it was as low as 15', which obviously wouldn't fit Superliners or the K-cars.

The max height of car on east part NEC is 14.6, due to viaducts/bridges/tunnels etc.

Are the tunnels bigger, sure, but for Catenary a air clearance is needed of about 1 foot from train to wire and 1 foot from wire to structures, for 12.5 Kv.

For 25 Kv the clearance needs to be near 2 foot for each.

as for pantograph height, yes 22 foot is doable, but only in stations/yards , or slow speed stretches.

the higher the speed it also increases movement of pantograph from side to side (sway) the higher you extend the pantograph the greater the sway.

You will see common practice to lower catenary height in curves and in higher speed stretches unless its extreemly straight.

I'm not sure what the relevance of bridges and viaducts on the NEC are for any potential electrified line in California. I'm sure that the height of the cars would be taken into account during the design phase.

I'm not sure what the relevance of bridges and viaducts on the NEC are for any potential electrified line in California. I'm sure that the height of the cars would be taken into account during the design phase.
only relevance is that even if California electrifies they need to consider existing bridges and viaducts or project price will go thru the roof.

As for 22' height of wire in Canal tunnel, great but there is no wind in tunnel, the railbed is not being disturbed by weather influences or blast irregularities.

also the tunnel is fairly straight, can't compare Catenary in a tunnel with outside conditions.

The main problem with running Superliners under catenary is, of course, what happens to passengers who find the secret penthouse stairway and head up on top to satisfy their nic fits. :giggle:

Back