How and to whom should I report a great Amtrak Employee?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

National Limited

Service Attendant
I recently too a trip on the Adirondack and had probably my best experience with a conductor I've ever had, or with an Amtrak employee in general. I've attempted to post my report of praise to Amtrak using the website (amtrak.com/employee-praise). It doesn't work with any browser on either Mac or PC operating systems. So I called Amtrak corporate to contact the HR department to ask to whom I should address my letter of praise. You can't speak with a human in Amtrak Human Resources. So I started calling numbers in sequence (202-906-3001, 202-906-3002, etc.) until I finally got a human on the phone. I explained my quest and the lucky recipient of my randomly dialed call directed me to 800-USA-RAIL. So I called customer service. They told me I needed to call corporate HR. I told them what I was wanting to do and what I had already done and that Amtrak corporate told me to call customer service. She put me on hold to check with her supervisor and came back on the line and said that the type of letter I was attempting to send needed to be addressed to one Mr. Richard H. Anderson, president, at 60 Mass Ave in DC. I kid you not. So I wrote to Mr. Anderson but don't anticipate hearing anything or having anything done.

So I come to you, the brain trust. Certainly this conductor has a supervisor or a supervisory department to which I can send my letter that says "hey, this guy is good and you need to know about it." Any ideas how to acknowledge good service?

Whoever you spoke with at 800-USA-RAIL is most likely one of Richard Anderson's Floridian call center agents who don't know a darn thing and that "supervisor" should be demoted, cause they would know to tell you to talk to Customer Relations.

Call 800-USA-RAIL and ask for Customer Relations. They take compliments and complaints.

Whoever you spoke with at 800-USA-RAIL is most likely one of Richard Anderson's Floridian call center agents who don't know a darn thing and that "supervisor" should be demoted, cause they would know to tell you to talk to Customer Relations.

Call 800-USA-RAIL and ask for Customer Relations. They take compliments and complaints.

So I guess Customer Relations is different from Customer Service? You would think that someone somewhere at Amtrak would know this. Clearly not Amtrak Corporate or Customer Service!

John,

Thanks for that link but it doesn't work (see original post).
What happens when you click that link?

It should bring you to a page that has a "Send Your Praise" button. If clicking that button doesn't work, you may need to update your browser/Java/etc.

It works fine for me in both Chrome and Safari.

So I guess Customer Relations is different from Customer Service? You would think that someone somewhere at Amtrak would know this. Clearly not Amtrak Corporate or Customer Service!

Yes. It's a different department. Agents that are in Philadelphia know about Customer Relations because that's where it is. The contracted out agents in Florida don't know a thing. Even that supervisor should know about Customer Relations. Hence why I said they should be demoted.

The link works for me ...

Not exactly about Amtrak but along the same line - some years back I used to eat at a Taco Bell that was located within walking distance of a place I was working at. This particular TB was very efficient. They moved the people through at a very nice pace and the workers were very pleasant ... even though the place was packed every day at lunch.

I was sitting there eating my lunch when I saw the 800 number to call to leave a comment. I called it while sitting there - I wanted to leave a good comment about how nice this store was. The girl who answered the phone was a bit surprised that I had a compliment, not a complaint. Then, she apologized that she could not help me - seems their comment form did not have any place, options or questions that applied to "good" service ... she could only take complaints!

So, apparently, Amtrak is not the only business where some of the employees have no idea how to handle praise.

A point of clarification on Amtrak.com/employee-praise: Yes, I was able to access the page, click on the "send your praise" button and complete the popup window that requests numerous identifiers including your Guest Rewards, number, reservation number, etc. and your letter of praise. The problem begins when you attempt to submit that popup form. It asks you to prove you are a person ( e.g. "select all the photos with traffic light") and once you have verified you are a sentient being and click "submit" it will "hang" as it attempts to submit. After a period of time the "prove you are a person" authorization will expire and you have to click new photos ("select all the photos with cross walk") and it will continue to "hang" and not submit. I've attempted to get this to work over a number of weeks now from three different computers and an iPad and the results, for me, are the same. At this point I'd like to think of myself as "determined" rather than "obsessed" but I fear the latter may be the reality . . . .

I'll call Customer Relations tomorrow morning and let you know how that goes.

A point of clarification on Amtrak.com/employee-praise: Yes, I was able to access the page, click on the "send your praise" button and complete the popup window that requests numerous identifiers including your Guest Rewards, number, reservation number, etc. and your letter of praise. The problem begins when you attempt to submit that popup form. It asks you to prove you are a person ( e.g. "select all the photos with traffic light") and once you have verified you are a sentient being and click "submit" it will "hang" as it attempts to submit. After a period of time the "prove you are a person" authorization will expire and you have to click new photos ("select all the photos with cross walk") and it will continue to "hang" and not submit. I've attempted to get this to work over a number of weeks now from three different computers and an iPad and the results, for me, are the same. At this point I'd like to think of myself as "determined" rather than "obsessed" but I fear the latter may be the reality . . . .

I'll call Customer Relations tomorrow morning and let you know how that goes.

Thanks for the clarification, and your persistence. :)

I phoned Customer Relations this morning. After holding for 49 minutes I spoke with an agent who was incredibly helpful. He asked me to summarize my experience, created a case number, and gave me the e-mail to which my letter of praise should be sent. I told him about my difficulty with the website and he said nothing, which makes me believe that he knows it dose't work but is powerless to do anything about it. Honestly, the interaction with this CR agent was as good as my experience with the conductor. They must put the most experienced and well-trained employees in this office. I just wish all Amtrak employees were as helpful!

Back