House Appropriations OKs FY2020 THUD bill

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
• $2 billion for Amtrak, $50 million above the 2019 enacted level and $1.1 billion above the president’s budget request;
https://www.progressiverailroading....se-Appropriations-OKs-FY2020-THUD-bill--57740
Hmm.. Total "Public Transportation and Passenger Rail" funding is 16.2 billion, so even at these increased levels, Amtrak is a minor part of this total appropriation.

The "50 million" (0.05 billion) increase in the Amtrak appropriation over the 2019 enacted suggest that the 2019 enacted was 1.95 billion. I really wish these journalists would use consistent units and not force us to do math to figure things out. :)

Apparently, the Amtrak appropriation in the President's budget request was for 0.9 billion. Does anyone remember what the President's budget request for 2019 was? He was obviously willing to settle for a 1.95 billion appropriation for 2019, in the end.

I guess there are two political questions remaining: 1) What will the Senate do? and 2) What kind of deal will the great Dealmaker in chief settle for?

Of course, in the great sweep of the appropriation battles, 2 billion dollars is less than chump change, so I suspect there isn't going to be a government shutdown over the Amtrak appropriation.

Back