Hiring stopped in Beechgrove

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Miami Joe

Lead Service Attendant
Just heard from a friend that there was no hiring of people in BG. Nobody knows what happened, and no word from "The Gunn".

Wreck repairs were already slow, I hope this isn't an indicator of bad things to come!

Going to check a few other forums for info!!

MiamiJoe,

From what you said I take it they did not hire anyone at all. Is this only effecting BG or are they not hiring anywhere at Amtrak? Reason I ask is because I applied for an administrative position with Amtrak West in Oakland so I am wondering if or how this might effect me.

I'm sure they're still hiring some people, they have coach attendants runnin in and out all the time...don't know about the "ground crew" though.

Well here is "My View," Gunn might be starting to run out of money from the alottment he got in July. The freeze could only be until FY2003, but it might not be, just my wishful thinking.

If that's the case then it should only last until October as that's when FY2003 begins.

Well it's not because David is running out of money. He never had any with which to start up BG. He also knew however, that he had to start fixing cars even though he couldn't pay for it. He's gambling that Congress and the WH will give him the money for next year before he's got to pay the bills.

If he didn't start now, he'd have no cars left to run a RR with by the time they give him the money. On the other hand if they don't give him more money, then it won't matter either. Not only won't they pay the bills, there won't be an Amtrak to have to worry about. :(

AlanB said:
Well it's not because David is running out of money. He never had any with which to start up BG. He also knew however, that he had to start fixing cars even though he couldn't pay for it. He's gambling that Congress and the WH will give him the money for next year before he's got to pay the bills.
If he didn't start now, he'd have no cars left to run a RR with by the time they give him the money. On the other hand if they don't give him more money, then it won't matter either. Not only won't they pay the bills, there won't be an Amtrak to have to worry about. :(
I've got a really good feeling about the October request -- public support for it has increased drastically B)

Tristan said:
I've got a really good feeling about the October request -- public support for it has increased drastically B)
Tristan, From your post to Congress and the White Houses' ears. Let's hope they get the message loud and clear. :)

To answer TP's question, Amtrak just abolished over 400 jobs in management. To be considered for the jobs, all applicants will have to re-qualify for the position. I assume this is how they will "weed "out the people who got jobs based on favors and politics. Some of these jobs have only a 7 day window to apply.

From the grapevine, I've heard this will continue in segments around the country.

Thanks for the info MiamiJoe. Maybe with fewer management types there will be fewer complaints about how top heavy Amtrak is :)

The Product Service Line Managers are all likely to lose their jobs next month. Which is stupid to me, and here's why. Yesterday we had a PSL that was supposed to work 97 (he was on 98), he ordered 120 meals for those disgruntled passengers that would be delivered at Orlando. Who's going to do that if they don't have that position? Today on 91 a disgruntled passenger demanded her money back right then and there from the Conductor, the PSL had to subdue her and tell her the procedure. The PSL's are the greatest people, they are Customer Service Orieneted, whereas the Conductors are not (to the degree the PSL's are). So why abolish a position that's needed?

battalion51 said:
The Product Service Line Managers... why abolish a position that's needed?
battallion51,

I agree that they shouldn't make service to passengers worse. But I think Gunn understands that you can still please customers even with less onboard staff.

Job cuts almost always lead to reorganization (i.e. they don't just leave a big gaping hole where the eliminated job was). I'm sure the duties of the job will be appropriately distributed to others.

I trust that Gunn knows what he's doing... don't you? :)

tp49 said:
I applied for an administrative position with Amtrak West in Oakland so I am wondering if or how this might effect me.
Didn't Gunn say he was shutting down the individual business units (like Amtrak West) and consolidating operations in Washington?

If memory serves me right, the consolidation was going to be into three to five units based in several places. The Western Unit would be headquartered in Los Angeles and have an office in Oakland or something like that. The memo was posted on the old board and my memory is a bit fuzzy.

Another position to go should Chief of On-board staff. I really don't see what his job is. I have always thought that the head dining car attendent should be in charge of the whole on-board crew.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back