Hialeah Facility is changing!!!!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Miami Joe

Lead Service Attendant
Things are changing at Miami's Silver Service and we couldn't be happier!!! :D

Something everyone will appreciate is that we got a new carwash built and it started operating today!!! :lol: I walked in today and noticed that #89 looked different! Then it dawned on me!!! :eek: I could see thru the windows from the outside!!! :) The cars are sooo clean and shiny, they look like they just got a rebuild!! But the most amazing thing is the windows!! They use an "osmosis" type cleaner and the windows are beautiful. Now the dirt and grime is on the inside. I hear the only problem is the wash needs taller brushes, which have been ordered.

The second piece of news is that the "nasty" Facility Manager finally got the boot and was cleaning his office out today!! :p Evidently, he couldn't qualify for the job and he will now be in charge of OBS. I hear the new guy is from New Orleans and is supposed to be hear Monday, but with the storm I won't be surprised if he runs a little late.

We are all looking forward to a new start here and I hope all goes well!!!

B)

Miami Joe said:
Things are changing at Miami's Silver Service and we couldn't be happier!!! :D
Something everyone will appreciate is that we got a new carwash built and it started operating today!!! :lol: I walked in today and noticed that #89 looked different! Then it dawned on me!!! :eek: I could see thru the windows from the outside!!! :) The cars are sooo clean and shiny, they look like they just got a rebuild!! But the most amazing thing is the windows!! They use an "osmosis" type cleaner and the windows are beautiful. Now the dirt and grime is on the inside. I hear the only problem is the wash needs taller brushes, which have been ordered.

The second piece of news is that the "nasty" Facility Manager finally got the boot and was cleaning his office out today!! :p Evidently, he couldn't qualify for the job and he will now be in charge of OBS. I hear the new guy is from New Orleans and is supposed to be hear Monday, but with the storm I won't be surprised if he runs a little late.

We are all looking forward to a new start here and I hope all goes well!!!

B)
I hope it goes well for you and your fellow employees too Joe. :)

Miami Joe said:
The second piece of news is that the "nasty" Facility Manager finally got the boot and was cleaning his office out today!! :p  Evidently, he couldn't qualify for the job and he will now be in charge of OBS. B)
That is alll we need is another nasty guy in OBS. Dont they have enough of these cranks?

The guy's name is Gary Mauck.

He is also an investigations officer.

He started out working onboard trains.

He ran the commisary for a while, always ran out of food.

He ran the materials storage room. Never had parts. Couldn't even keep filters in stock.

When they ablolished his job, they sent to us as a "temp". Unfortunately, he got the job. Been around a long time. Part of the "god ole boys" gang. Thankfully, the boys got canned!!! :D

Beware!!!

One evil "dude"!

B)

Joe, hadn't you guys been using the Tri-Rail washer while yours was out of service? Or am I thinking of the when the Sunset used it back in the day, since Tri-Rails is built for Double Deckers?

We haven't had a car wash for about 6 months. That's why the cars looked so bad! :( They were washing the cars by hand in E-cleaning, when time permitted.

We now have a new system from the ground up, including new underground tanks. My biggest concern is that the washrack is going to be maintained properly. Around here, nothing is looked at until it breaks. I hope they also watch the solutions and maintain the proper levels. The cars look sooo good!! :D If they allow the chemicals to get watered down over time, the stainless will turn brown again. :(

B)

Miami Joe said:
We haven't had a car wash for about 6 months. That's why the cars looked so bad! :( They were washing the cars by hand in E-cleaning, when time permitted.
We now have a new system from the ground up, including new underground tanks. My biggest concern is that the washrack is going to be maintained properly. Around here, nothing is looked at until it breaks. I hope they also watch the solutions and maintain the proper levels. The cars look sooo good!! :D If they allow the chemicals to get watered down over time, the stainless will turn brown again. :(

B)
They should put you in charge of that Joe. :)

To be honest Bill, I don't know about other facilities.

This wash cost $300,000 and was built by a vendor. The old wash was built by the employees here between 15 and 20 years ago. It was always breaking and most parts had to be handmade. Amtrak got rid of blacksmiths and machinists at the facilities a long time ago. They are only at places like BG, Bear, etc.

Most facilities do have washracks. You would have to call each facility to find the status of the washrack. In the old days, the cars would be washed a few times on a long trip during refueling or stopping for food. Now they are done at each end of the trip.

TriRail's washer was Amtrak's at one time. It was used for the engines as they came out of repair. When Amtrak gave up the loco shop to TriRail, they also got the wash. But they also had to repair and modify it for the high level cars.

B)

Boston got a car wash put in around the mid '90's at Southhampton Street. It's a big box type building about 100' long with huge red doors on each end with a painting of an Genesis locomotive on it. What gets me is the catenary wire that was strung through it. Last time I checked water and electricity don't mix.

The water could be used to clean below the catenary. Also, if the catenary can handle rain, couldn't it handle the wash?

As long as everything is grounded properly, there's no problem.

Being in the south, the wash here is very simple and outdoors. The brushes and sprayers have covers to avoid spashback, but the wash is battered by the elements and UV rays.

The first step is solution(acid) application.Second, it goes thru the brushes. Third, it gets hit by another set of brushes with neutralizer sprayed from the brushes and finally it gets rinsed by water.

All these chemicals are reclaimed and directed back to the storage tanks during and after the wash.

B)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back