Heritage sleepers

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BillVas

Service Attendant
My wife and I had taken the Capitol Limited to DC and was able to be in a heritage sleeper which was really nice as it rode like a tank, nice and smooth due to the heavyweight of the car, (i know that is why they call them heavyweights). But are they using any heritage sleepers at all anywhere from time to time on Amtrak.??? I do ride Via Rail when I get the chance and yes I know those are old CP equipment, but was wondering if they pull out the old stuff on Amtrak. I am taking an American Rail trip soon, and they use beautiful equipment on thier trips.

Bill Vas

The only Heritage sleepers that are used in "revenue" service are Crew Dorms. No space is sold to passengers. The rest of the fleet was liquidated years ago due to compliance issues.

Funny, the "Heritage" sleepers were classified as lightweights when they first came out. I think a heritage sleeper weighs about 60 to 65 tons each (somebody correct me if that is wrong) and the older standardweights that preceeded them tipped the scales at something north of 80 tons, and usually, always I think, rode on six axles instead of four.

The heritage sleepers were built from the mid 30's to the end of any purchases of passenger equipment by the railroads, which was about 1964. The older heavy weights were mostly built in the 20's or somewhat earlier, back to the time of the ending of consruction of wooden passenger cars. I do not know when that was.

Funny, the "Heritage" sleepers were classified as lightweights when they first came out. I think a heritage sleeper weighs about 60 to 65 tons each (somebody correct me if that is wrong) and the older standardweights that preceeded them tipped the scales at something north of 80 tons, and usually, always I think, rode on six axles instead of four.
The heritage sleepers were built from the mid 30's to the end of any purchases of passenger equipment by the railroads, which was about 1964. The older heavy weights were mostly built in the 20's or somewhat earlier, back to the time of the ending of consruction of wooden passenger cars. I do not know when that was.
Yes, 1000% as Mr. Harris says, heritage cars were, indeed lightweight cars. They were also called "streamlined" cars.

To find true heavy weights you have to go to the generations preceding that. the last heavyweight cars were constructed in the mid-40's and just a few at that. I think just one railroad ordered about 15 heavyweight coaches or maybe it ws sleepers after WW2 and I do not remember who that was. By that time, everything else was being ore ordered as streamliined. There was a small overlap between the beginning of lightweight construction and the curtailing of heavyweight. Amtrak has never even touched, even looked at a car which was not lightweight. It never had heavyweight cars.

To try to picture heavyweight cars, think about, maybe, the Polar Express (look at the roof) . Think also of old western movies with steam engines, the cars they were pulling were examples of heavyweight --not anything Amtrak has ever, ever owned. Even heavy cars like The old Santa Fe hi-level cars and Amtrak superliners are still considered lightweight, yard per yard, due to their lightweight construction, their obvious bigness notwithstanding.

In fact, lightweight cars were usually stronger than heavyweight, esp. if bult of stainless steel. Stainless steel was most often how lightweight streamlined cars were built. Some were painted, some were left as silver. Stainless steel is less corrosive, also. Some streamlined cars were built of aluminum alloy.

The superiority of lightweight streamlined over heavyweight is sort of like the comparison between steam and diesel. Steam makes all the noise, got the publicity etc but diesel is quiet and efficient.

In fact, diesel power and streamlinng(i.e. lightweight construction) sort of came along at close to the same time, late 30's early 40's. Construction was halted during WW11, but then diesels started growing on trees thereafter and many lightweight streamlined cars built also. (though streamlining never became as prevalent as dieselization).The electric locos of the northeast are separate from a discussion of steam vs. diesel.

Amtrak has always wanted to convey a contemporary/modern image--not a nostolgic trip. Amtrak would not have bought heavywieght cars any more than it would have bought steam engines!!

Llast but not least, the stainless steel equipment on the Canadian is indeed lightweight and streamlined- as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last but not least, the stainless steel equipment on the Canadian is indeed lightweight and streamlined- as well.
You'll find the refurbished stainless steel Canadian stock in regular service on the Canadian (Toronto-Vancouver), the Hudson Bay (Winnipeg-Churchill), the Abitibi and Saguenay (Montréal-Jonquière and Senneterre) and the Chaleur (Montréal-Gaspé). They're comfy and still as sleek as the day they were built.

*j* :blink:

This will probably be way too easy, but......Amtrak operated passenger cars with six-wheel trucks well into the '90's (& perhaps beyond).......What were they?

This will probably be way too easy, but......Amtrak operated passenger cars with six-wheel trucks well into the '90's (& perhaps beyond).......What were they?

Do you have any more specific i.d. on them? Some very heavy diners and specialty lounge cars may have had six trucks. Also some cars, like from Illinois Central, may have been heavyweight in original contruction but very cleverly rebuilt as streamlined-style cars.

I would like to know specifically which cars they were and maybe I can help. Certainly the hi-level Santa fe cars had six trucks.

There were some twin-unit dining cars, i.e. one car kitchen and one car dining area joined together as one car, and they may have had six trucks. They would have been from SCL and Illinois Central, for some.

Oh yes, fulll length dome cars would have six trucks, whereas "standard domes" probably did not.

Let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:

Do you have any more specific i.d. on them? Some very heavy diners and specialty lounge cars may have had six trucks. Also some cars, like from Illinois Central, may have been heavyweight in original contruction but very cleverly rebuilt as streamlined-style cars.

I would like to know specifically which cars they were and maybe I can help. Certainly the hi-level Santa fe cars had six trucks.

There were some twin-unit dining cars, i.e. one car kitchen and one car dining area joined together as one car, and they may have had six trucks. They would have been from SCL and Illinois Central, for some.

Oh yes, fulll length dome cars would have six trucks, whereas "standard domes" probably did not.

Let me know.
Sorry.....guess the question wasn't posed properly.....was meant to be a trivia question to which the idiot poster (me) already knew the answer! :D

Anyway, the ones I'm thinking of are the ex-ATSF El Capitan Hi-Level dining cars that were the only Hi-Level cars requiring six-wheel trucks. They weighed 97 tons (!) including a 800-gallon water tank. There were six built, #650-655. Not sure how many of them Amtrak acquired but they were converted to diner-lounges & ran on the Desert Wind LAX-Salt Lake City (& on to Denver in the summertime). I've also seen them on the City of New Orleans when that train first went Superliner.

The only other cars in that time frame that may have six-wheel trucks are the dome lounge cars, one of which I believe is still running on the Pacific Surfliner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back