Help A New Train Traveler Out?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Musicians4Trains

Train Attendant
Hi All,

I'm a new train traveler (well, I did take the Sunset Limited to NO from LA, but that was in 1979).

I'm planning a trip from LA to Atlanta around the Christmas holidays and I plan to get a sleeper from LA to NO. After that, I plan to go coach to Atlanta since it's only about 12 hours.

My question(s): How is tipping of the wait staff in the dining car handled since meals are included in the sleeper fare? Do you press cash into the person's hand? Is 15% standard?

What about the person who attends your room? What's a fair tip? :huh:

Thanks for any advice.

Welcome to our little forum. :)

Now for your questions. While it would be typical to leave 15% for the dining car attendants, since you don't see a check with your total, most people find it hard to know what 15% is. Only passengers from coach actually see a check at the end of the meal. Therefore more typically people will leave a buck for breakfast and lunch, while leaving 2 for dinner. If you can calculate the correct tip, or if you feel that service was excellent then don't hesitate to leave more on the table.

As for the sleeper most give 5 bucks per night, more if you are traveling with others or again you receive exceptional service. This is typically handed to the attendant as you leave the train, or when he comes to let you know that your stop is coming up.

Thanks a lot, AlanB. Your advice is greatly appreciated. :)

If it's not too aggravting, might I ask another general question?

From browsing some of the other topics, I'm curious as to how crowded the trains are. I know it's not a problem with a sleeper. However when one is in reserved coach, is seating a problem?

And just how popular is train travel nowadays? I guess from all of the budget problems I hear concerning Amtrak, it's not too popular. :(

But I would suppose that certain routes are more popular than others as are certain times of the year.

Any 411 from those of you who are the seasoned train travelers will be most appreciated.

The closer I get to my departure date, the more excited I'm getting. :D

From browsing some of the other topics, I'm curious as to how crowded the trains are. I know it's not a problem with a sleeper. However when one is in reserved coach, is seating a problem?
Seating will not be a problem in coach. As you board the coach attendent will give a a seat number/letter where you are desiganated to sit. If you are unhappy with your seat you can always ask your attedent after departure to get reposititioned. So even if the coaches are sold out, which i doubt they will be, everyone is garanteed a seat.
And just how popular is train travel nowadays? I guess from all of the budget problems I hear concerning Amtrak, it's not too popular
Train travel has actually gained popularity over the years, but went down some over the summer due to a weak economy and Amtrak's woes. About 75% of Amtrak's fleet has been refurbished or bought new with in the past 6 years. The Sunset Limited uses double decker Superliner equipment, while the Crescent uses single level Heritage, Viewliner, and Amfleet equipment. The single level trains have a smaller and a duller atmosphere than the Superliner trains, but the ride is still as enjoyable.
If you have anymore questions or need clarification on something don't hesitate to ask. :)

Amfleet said:
Seating will not be a problem in coach. As you board the coach attendent will give a a seat number/letter where you are desiganated to sit. If you are unhappy with your seat you can always ask your attedent after departure to get reposititioned. So even if the coaches are sold out, which i doubt they will be, everyone is garanteed a seat.
Actually at the time you are traveling, it is possible that the coach could be somewhat crowded. Christmas is a busy time for Amtrak, especially the two days before Christmas and through New Years. So while you should have no trouble getting a seat, changing it if you don't like it may be more difficult.

Train travel has actually gained popularity over the years, but went down some over the summer due to a weak economy and Amtrak's woes.
Actually while ridership did go down during July because of the uncertainty caused by the fiscal crisis, overall popularity continues to increase. More and more people are taking trains, both Amtrak and commuter.

Actually while ridership did go down during July because of the uncertainty caused by the fiscal crisis, overall popularity continues to increase. More and more people are taking trains, both Amtrak and commuter.
Simple improvements, like fixing equipment and having trains close to schedule, will increase that popularity.

Musicians4Trains

If you love the idea of riding trains you should be getting very excited as each day brings you closer to your trip. I will be leaving on November 2 for 10 days of riding trains all over the country and I can’t wait. Here are some thoughts for you if you are a new rider. You didn’t say what kind of sleeper you were in. Whichever kind you are in, I am sure it will be much smaller than you think. After the initial shock it will be fine and you will love the accommodations. Taking a shower can be an adventure. The Crescent will run very close to on time however the Sunset Limited will be late. It is not unusual to arrive into NOL going eastbound 2 or 3 hours late. I would recommend getting a hotel in NOL even if you are leaving the next morning. The Amtrack station is not in the best part of town. Mostly, enjoy the trip and take whatever comes along as part of the adventure. Good Luck.

RKA

Enjoy your trip :)

And if you choose to switch seats, let the attendant know, otherwise you could oversleep and miss you stop. B)

Thanks everybody. What a great group of people. :)

I had not thought about booking a hotel but I guess that I might since the consensus seems to be that the train will probably be late pulling into New Orleans. :huh:

I have a cousin who lives near Lake Pontchatrain who will meet me but the train is scheduled to arrive at 8:30 PM and depart the next morning around 7:30.

To keep from putting her in too much of a bind, I might just go ahead and book a hotel room.

It's been a while since I've stayed in NO, but I grew up in Gulfport, Mississippi and spent quite a bit of time in New Orleans in my younger days.

Incidentally, I guess that I have to change trains in NO since the Ltd goes into Florida and not Atlanta is that right?

And where exactly does the train stop in Atlanta? I don't know very much about that city.

Thanks again. I feel like I'm part of the family. :D

I think that Bill Haithcoat is our resident expert on the Atlanta area, so I'll let him answer your question tomorrow. :) While I could tell you the address, I'll bet that Bill can do much better when he checks in tomorrow.

As for hotels in the NO area, there are several nice ones within 8 to 10 blocks of the station. If you check with Expedia.com you can see what available, in the area. Just enter the stations address, which is 1001 Loyola Avenue zipcode of 70113, and Expedia will give you the closest hotels and prices.

Incidentally, I guess that I have to change trains in NO since the Ltd goes into Florida and not Atlanta is that right?
You are correct. You will switch from the Sunset Limited, which does go to Florida, to the Crescent which runs to NY City.

Musicians 4 trains:

FIrst, I hope you have a good safe trip. By all means get a hotel in New Orleans. And do make your sleeper reservations as soon as possible should you happen to decide on going sleeper after all...they can indeed sell out. Someone mentioned how small the rooms are---depends on whether you are in a standard bedroom or a deluxe bedroom as to how small. But look at it this way--it is a much more private space than would you would have on a coach, a bus, a plane--anything other than a ship!

The station in Atlanta is a small station...that is because it was a former suburban station. As train tavel declined the big downtown stations were in some cases no longer needed and torn down. But those trains which were making suburban stops anyway, in the case of Atlanta-- they just sort of re-charged the tiny suburban station and designated it the regular station. IT is about 3-4miles north of the immediate downtown area. It still seems downtown ,( rather than residential)but actually is sort of between Midtown and fashionable Buckhead. There is good bus service right in front of the station on Peachtree. That feeds into the train(subway) system.

The bus and train system is called MARTA. The #23 bus goes by the Amtrak station...to go downtown to major hotels get a #23 bus southbound....it will terminate and passengers will "feed" into the southbound trains at the Arts CenterStation. Where are you staying?...Perhaps I can help with more specific info. The bus goes northbound also, of course. And the train goes other directions as well...I am sort of assuming you are going to a "downtown hotel"--if that is not correct let me know.

THe station is pitifully short on amenities---no restaurant,just vending machine shacks ....remember....it was formerly merely a suburban stop.

A serious warning--make your hotel rservations in New Orleans QUICKLY --NOrleans has lots of conventions, etc hotel rooms filll up fast...I have had difficulty the last couple of times I have gone through there.

Oh Yes,....one more thing....any serious questions you have about the Atlanta station, or Atlanta...please get them to me today MONDAY Oct. 21 by 5 or 6 o'clock. I am on vacation for the rest of the week, Tuesday through Friday, so will not be on this forum again until the weekend, when I come in to come in to catch up from being off. My own vacation, unfortunatley, does NOT involve any train travel, this time.But let me know your questions today!!

Thanks for all of the info, Bill. It's quite helpful.

Once I get to the Atlanta area, I will be OK since my nephew will collect me at the train station.

He and his wife live in Covington which is about 35 miles (east?) from Atlanta proper.

And of course once, there and recuperated, I will rent a car so that I can have my freedom. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back