Hello From Tampa FL

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoanieBlon

Service Attendant
Over the past several days, I've been busy reading through the various threads on this board trying to get together information and tips for our upcoming trip on the California Zephyr on September 23rd. Due to considerations regarding time, we will fly up to Chicago and take the train from there. Once we arrive in San Francisco, we plan on renting a car for a week long, leisurely drive down Coast Highway 1 to Los Angeles. We'll return to Tampa by plane. Both my husband and I are really looking forward to this trip! I first rode the Zephyr round-trip Sacramento/Chicago back in 1955 when I was 9 years old and have been wating to do it again ever since. I know the Zephyr is basically a totally different train experience now than when I rode it way back then ~ there were still the "VistaDome" viewing cars (which had to be vacated when going through tunnels) and fine dining service with china and glass.

Back then, my mother and I traveled in standard coach.....for this trip, my husband and I opted for a bedroom, which were are hoping will be a good experience. Just being able to book a bedroom was quite a feat, as every date I looked at online in the Fall was showing "sold out." Guess the route is always popular, but perhaps even more so during this time of year. I'm hoping that we'll get a fairly good show of the brilliant aspen foliage! At any rate, in order to get a bedroom on the 23rd of September, which would put us into San Francisco (by bus from Emeryville) on a Friday evening, I set my alarm for 11:50pm, got up and CALLED Amtrak reservations exactly the number of days out that they allow reservations, and was able to get our bedroom! HOORAY! From what I could understand, several travel agents had been reserving big blocks of sleeping accomodations for Fall travel on the Zephyr. <_<

I was just looking at our tickets, and it appears that we are in Bedroom E, as the ticket reads E/0531. For those of you in the know ~ is that bedroom E in car 0531? From what I have read on this forum, E is a good location, being in the center of the car, near an adjacent toilet, and right next to the stairs, for a quick trip down to the shower/changing room on the lower level. Although our bedroom does have the toilet/shower combination, I have the feeling that my husband, who is 6'3" may decide to use the shower downstairs instead of trying to squeeze into the one in our room. I'm 5'2" tall and pretty small, so the "ensuite" shower may be OK for me. ;) We've been in some tiny showers on ship cabins, and this one looks even smaller....

BTW......HERE is a GREAT interactive Quicktime 360 degree photo of a Superliner bedroom! It was taken on the California Zephyr June 14, 2007 on the Chicago-San Francisco run.

I've had an interest in trains over the years, although I haven't ridden them a whole lot. I took the Lakeside Limited in coach class RT Springfield MA/Chicago back in the 80s. Back at that time, the Springfield station was in severe need of remodeling, and was actually downright scary. I have also taken the train from Windsor Locks CT to NYC. 2 years ago, my husband and I did a fascinating little trip on the narrow gauge steam powered WELSH HIGHLAND HERITAGE RAILWAY out of Porthmadog Wales and last summer we took a ride on the STRASBURG RAILROAD in Lancaster County PA. Several years back, my husband, Mike, and I wiled away MANY hours looking at all the wonderful exhibits at the California State Railroad Museum in Sacramento, where I grew up. We have some wonderful photos of that day, and perhaps we can load them up onto our website ~ MAISON-T-BAYOU .

I have a question about the Sacramento station. When I did my childhood trip on the Zephyr, the station that was being used was the one located on "K" Street between 18th and 19th Streets. If I'm not mistaken, that old station has been converted to a restaurant. Do the trains now go through the main station down on "I" Street?

Depending on how this trip goes, we foresee other train travel in our future......we'd like to load up our car and take the car train from Florida up to Virginia ~ then do a leisurely drive back down the Shenandoah and Blue Ridge Parkways. I'd also like to fly out to Seattle and take the train from there down to San Diego. I wish they would start up service again from Jacksonville to New Orleans. We own a timeshare there in the Quarter, and taking the train would be a nice change from flying over or driving. We also like the looks of the trip from Chicago to Los Angeles.

At any rate, thanks for ALL the great information that has been posted here. I'm sure we will find many helpful tips! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum, Joanie! :)

To answer a couple of your questions: You are correct. You are in Room E on car 0531. That room is near the center of the car, and the car is the one nearest the diner. I just took a Chicago-Sacramento California Zephyr trip a couple of weeks ago myself. The Sacramento station is indeed on "I" street. The fall colors should be pretty that time of year, particularly as you said the aspens. When I went, I was in between snowstorms: it had snowed heavily in the Sierras the day before I went through them and snowed even harder in the Rockies a couple of days afterward.

I too remember the old Vista Dome cars. In 1963 and again in 1965, when I was 3 and 5 years old, I went with my mom and sister from Spokane to Chicago, in 1963 on the North Coast Limited and in 1965 on the Empire Builder. My sister and I had a great time in the Vista Dome. I really don't remember 1963 but do remember 1965 quite well. We stayed up there out of my mom's hair while she slept downstairs.

Again, welcome to the forum and I'm glad you were able to glean good info from it.

Have fun on your trip in September! :)

Welcome to the forum, Joanie! :)

To answer a couple of your questions: You are correct. You are in Room E on car 0531. That room is near the center of the car, and the car is the one nearest the diner. I just took a Chicago-Sacramento California Zephyr trip a couple of weeks ago myself. The Sacramento station is indeed on "I" street. The fall colors should be pretty that time of year, particularly as you said the aspens. When I went, I was in between snowstorms: it had snowed heavily in the Sierras the day before I went through them and snowed even harder in the Rockies a couple of days afterward.

I too remember the old Vista Dome cars. In 1963 and again in 1965, when I was 3 and 5 years old, I went with my mom and sister from Spokane to Chicago, in 1963 on the North Coast Limited and in 1965 on the Empire Builder. My sister and I had a great time in the Vista Dome. I really don't remember 1963 but do remember 1965 quite well. We stayed up there out of my mom's hair while she slept downstairs.

Again, welcome to the forum and I'm glad you were able to glean good info from it.

Have fun on your trip in September! :)
Hi JayPea...thanks for the input! Sounds like we really lucked out with the bedroom location AND car we were assigned to. Do you, or anyone else out there, happen to know exactly where the "Union Square" drop-off is located in San Francisco, when we are transported over there from the Emeryville Station? Our hotel is just a couple of blocks away from Union Square on Bush Street, so we "should" be able to walk it ~ unless we are faced with a gigantic hill! We are planning on bringing two 24" roller cases and a standard sized carry-on bag with us for our entire trip. Instead of checking the two standard suitcases, we will probably opt to just but them in the luggage storage area on the lower level of our car. That way, if there's anything we want to retrieve from them, they'll be available to us. ;) Is the luggage that's stored there safe and secure? Anyone ever heard of any problems with missing bags? :unsure:

"Hello from Tampa FL" right back at you, Joanie! :D

Nice to see yet another local in the forums. Sounds like you've got a great trip ahead of you!

Take care,

Welcome Joanie,

I traveled from Chicago to Denver and return last week. I was in car 531 and can assure you that all is well in that car!!

We had an unusual situation on our westbound trip that made us nearly 5 hours late in arriving Denver.

I hope you have a fun trip.

Welcome!Theres a possibility(strong?)that there will be a train from Florida to NOL by fall, might not

have sleepers but you could also ride up to WAS and take the Crescent to NOL!Also dont forget the

EB from Chicago to SEA, one of THE jewels in AMTRAK!Will enjoy your trip info and contributions to

our forum!

:angry: :angry: :angry:

Well.....I am bummed out! I was contacted by Amtrak Customer Service yesterday, as they needed to let me know that our MUCH anticipated California Zephyr trip trhough the Colorado Rockies is being re-routed due to rail repair! We will now be going on the "historic" route through southern Wyoming. <_< I've driven that stretch quite a few times and have never found it overly scenic.

I let the representative know just how unhappy I was with this news. She asked me if I could change the date of our trip. Well...... NO, as our plane reservations and various hotel stays have been booked months ago! I then asked if Amtrak is willing to give us compensation of some sort because we are not able to take the trip as planned. She advised me that I can contact Customer Service after we complete the trip and see what they might be willing to offer us.

I am not a happy camper! I guess I SHOULD be looking at the fact that the train trip itself will be a fun experience, but I was really looking forward to the scenery in the Rockies! :(

Oh, sorry about that. I am sure you are disappointed after all the planning.

Maybe take this trip next month and go back another time for the rockies, give it more time and do a loop back to Florida.

:angry: :angry: :angry:
Well.....I am bummed out! I was contacted by Amtrak Customer Service yesterday, as they needed to let me know that our MUCH anticipated California Zephyr trip trhough the Colorado Rockies is being re-routed due to rail repair! We will now be going on the "historic" route through southern Wyoming. <_< I've driven that stretch quite a few times and have never found it overly scenic.

I let the representative know just how unhappy I was with this news. She asked me if I could change the date of our trip. Well...... NO, as our plane reservations and various hotel stays have been booked months ago! I then asked if Amtrak is willing to give us compensation of some sort because we are not able to take the trip as planned. She advised me that I can contact Customer Service after we complete the trip and see what they might be willing to offer us.

I am not a happy camper! I guess I SHOULD be looking at the fact that the train trip itself will be a fun experience, but I was really looking forward to the scenery in the Rockies! :(
The same thing happened to me two years ago, EXCEPT that they did not call to notify me of the detour. I found out only 2 days in advance when I was poking around the Amtrak site and saw the detour posted. Anyway, they gave me a $500 voucher ($250 for each person) which I used last year to cover the missed area.

The detour is interesting in itself and I am glad I had the opportunity to take it (now that I have ridden the normal route as well). It is different from the Rockies and beautiful in its own way, but IMHO, it is not as scenic as the Rockies.

Back