Half a trip posting, but not the other half, to AGR?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BALtoNYPtraveler

Train Attendant
Before I make a phone call (and I don't mind doing that, but I won't bother the AGR people if the answer if someone here already knows the answer), is it typical for one leg of a trip to show up on your AGR transaction log but not the other?

I'm trying to get the three round trips / get one free in summer promotion. This works out to six one-ways. It caught my attention that my account was marked as having completed "3 out of 6" trips. This means one round trip and half of another round trip (I generally only take round trips.)

I looked and sure enough, there was just one leg posted from Jan 30th, and on Feb 6th, I took another trip (not qualifying for that particular deal) and in the log of all trips and transactions, only one leg of that is posted, also.

Strikes me as strange that two legs of a trip would post separately but maybe it has to do with the origination station or something internal in their recordkeeping. Does anyone know if this happens routinely, or should I call to see if they neglected to credit some trips?

Since it was only a few days ago, I would wait before I worry and call. And yes, segments can and do post out of order!

Back in "the old days" of paper tickets, when the tickets had to be sent to one processing center to be posted to your account, many times segments #3 & #4 posted before segment #1 of my trip. Eventually all 6 segments posted. This can also happen even today - especially if 1 or more segments are by an Ambus (where paper tickets are required). Some bus drivers may not submit the tickets timely to AGR for credit to be received.

Thanks, traveler! I realized they're really "one-way" trips as far as the stations are concerned, so they can and would post out of order sometimes. I'll give it some more time.

By the way, once again the best advice is to call them and let them clear it up. It had been nearly two weeks and all but one leg of one trip had posted. I called and the AGR agent found the error. I had upgraded to business and by some mistake, my AGR number didn't migrate over to the new ticket. They fixed it immediately and now I have the points.

I have only good things to say about the Amtrak and AGR agents. Every time I have called, they have been helpful and every problem was resolved cheerfully.

I would agree that they are cheerful and helpful but I've now had two experiences where they acted like I was wrong and they were right and then never owned up to it. I described one in another thread, but had yet another this week where I called to change an award trip where the price, and thus the points, went down. While she was looking it up, she made various "I highly doubt that's the case" type statements and then, upon finding I was correct, just went on with the change without any comment. It's like they want you to fail/lose and when you do in fact come out ahead of where you were, they pretend it never happened. I mean, I don't feel like I am in a battle with them where if I win they lose. I use their system the way it was designed and follow the rules. So why act like I'm trying to hoodwink them? It's such an odd attitude to have.

Back