H570 Promotion Code

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MOI

I am taking a trip with my daughter in 2 weeks, Toledo Ohio to Washington DC. So I called Amtrak to see if I could use the H570 discount code.. gave them my AGR # and the rest of my information, was told I could use this code and save around $100, Great , So far.. after all the arrangements were made I was told I would have to pick up my ticket in person with in a few days and only at a full service Amtrak Station, mine would be Wasington,, this made no sense since that is where I needed the tickets for..

The agent then said I could get this discount by going through a travel agent.

I went to agent paid a $25 fee, after all the arrangements were made again, I was informed that travel agents could not print up tickets with this discount,, they told me I would have to go to Kalamazoo Mi. to pick up the tickets.. which is about 180 miles round trip from me. was not worth the gas money to go get the tickets.

. I called Amtrak back and informed them that they gave me the wrong information about getting the H570 discount through a travel agency, after a while they said, they looked it up and the information they gave me was wrong, that I can only pick up these tickets at a full service agency,, I thought they could at least offer to repay me the $25 fee for the travel agency .

So I guess the Catch 22 is that you can only use this code if you live near a full service agency, and if you live near a full service agency you don't need to book over the phone..

Will go on trip and will as always enjoy riding Amtrak,, but am disappointed with the service or lack of service I recieved from the Amtrak Agents.

Shouldn't have called them, just used the internet. When I used the code I had them mail the ticket home, never spoke with a human being. Too bad H570 doesn't work on my upcoming trip, otherwise Amtrak would be a good price.

Shouldn't have called them, just used the internet. When I used the code I had them mail the ticket home, never spoke with a human being. Too bad H570 doesn't work on my upcoming trip, otherwise Amtrak would be a good price.
I agree with Jimmy. The few times I have used a discount code I have purchased the tickets online and had them sent to me. Assuming you have a few weeks before you leave, the tickets will arrive before you leave.

IIRC, 570 can no longer be used online.

571 does work however (20%) so you might want to try this one if you can to see if it works for you - you still should have time to get the tix mailed

IIRC, 570 can no longer be used online.
Correct, 570 can no longer be used online. This change happened last month after Fromer's publish a report on the code. One must call an agent or go to a station to make the reservation. And then one must pick up the tickets from an agent, which is hurt the original poster as her nearest station is miles away.

I called Amtrak back and informed them that they gave me the wrong information about getting the H570 discount through a travel agency, after a while they said, they looked it up and the information they gave me was wrong, that I can only pick up these tickets at a full service agency,, I thought they could at least offer to repay me the $25 fee for the travel agency .
I would highly recommend calling back and asking to speak with customer service, or if you prefer, send them a letter detailing all of this. While I certainly can't promise anything as I don't work for Amtrak, you might get that $25 back in the form of a voucher that you could use on either this trip if you haven't already taken it, or your next trip.

Ps. I do apologize that I never posted your story from the email that you sent me. I was away when I first got your email and then it simply slipped my mind, as the email got burried under dozens of new ones. I am sorry!

I'm glad however that you finally got it to work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dang, H570 has been killed. At least I got to use it once.
H570 has not been killed. One just has to adhear to the conditions that always were part of the offer, but until recently were never actually enforced. That condition being that one needed to be a member of Amtrak's Guest Rewards program in order to use the code. With the new procedures, that require picking up the tickets in person as well as making the reservation with a live agent, Amtrak is now enforcing the conditions of the offer.

But the code is not dead, as long as you can meet the conditions.

While I certainly can't promise anything as I don't work for Amtrak, you might get that $25 back in the form of a voucher that you could use on either this trip if you haven't already taken it, or your next trip.
Of course, in order to use the voucher, once must puchase the ticket at a staffed station.

While I certainly can't promise anything as I don't work for Amtrak, you might get that $25 back in the form of a voucher that you could use on either this trip if you haven't already taken it, or your next trip.
Of course, in order to use the voucher, once must puchase the ticket at a staffed station.
True, I forgot about that. :blink: Oops. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back