Greyhound Kills Overbooking, Expands Service, Introduces Yield Mgmt

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's on US 50, isn't it? Please remember there's nobody starting a bus company in that region right now. Well, if you want bus service, you could get a small group of people and try to start a company, I guess.

That's on US 50, isn't it? Please remember there's nobody starting a bus company in that region right now. Well, if you want bus service, you could get a small group of people and try to start a company, I guess.
Yep. Also I-81, US 11, and US 17. Seems like Greyhound used to stop in two or three towns in the Shenandoah Valley (I-81 corridor): Winchester, Harrisonburg, Waynesboro, and terminating in Roanoke. I think it was a Washington-Roanoke schedule. Now, all Washington-Roanoke schedules go through Richmond, although there is still a Washington-Charlottesville schedule.

Winchester, Va. used to be a major point for Greyhound Lines....from Washington, Capitol Greyhound used US 50 to get there, and then went on west toward Cincinnati , while Atlantic Greyhound used Va. 7 to get there, and then went southwest on US 11 towards Tennessee. And Pennsylvania Greyhound came down US 11 from Hagerstown and Harrisburg.

Virginia Trailways used to also have a connection via L&M bus lines feeding it from Winchester to its routes at Front Royal.

It is really shocking to see the loss of routes and schedules through Virginia from years ago when you look back at what Greyhound and Trailways used to run....

Same thing all across the country. Same problems that hit the train network hit the bus network. All cars and planes eating away passengers. Now trains are recovering and buses are recovering. Seems to go hand-in-hand.

The biggest problem facing the bus industry currently may be the lack of accurate bus maps. Greyhound should at least make an accurate map of their own routes. Right now the only way to know which bus goes from A to B is to skim through the entire System Timetable.
Yeah. I really can't take a bus company seriously if it can't publish a map of its own routes.
I'm really glad to hear that Greyhound has eliminated overbooking... but I assume that's only for routes operated by GLI and GLC. Other carriers still overbook, right?

Unfortunately nearly all the service in my part of New York is Trailways. Who do overbook. Or CoachUSA. Worse, neither actually publishes complete maps or schedules....

...I don't understand why bus companies think they can get away without publishing maps or schedules. The online reservations site is NOT a substitute, because it doesn't let you see what your options are.

The biggest problem facing the bus industry currently may be the lack of accurate bus maps. Greyhound should at least make an accurate map of their own routes. Right now the only way to know which bus goes from A to B is to skim through the entire System Timetable.
Yeah. I really can't take a bus company seriously if it can't publish a map of its own routes.
I'm really glad to hear that Greyhound has eliminated overbooking... but I assume that's only for routes operated by GLI and GLC. Other carriers still overbook, right?

Unfortunately nearly all the service in my part of New York is Trailways. Who do overbook. Or CoachUSA. Worse, neither actually publishes complete maps or schedules....

...I don't understand why bus companies think they can get away without publishing maps or schedules. The online reservations site is NOT a substitute, because it doesn't let you see what your options are.
Sorry to hear that you are dissatisified by the New York Trailways service. While I am not that familiar with what happens at Ithaca, here in NYC, we strive to accommodate all who desire to travel.

As far as publishing timetables and route maps.....we print a complete Adirondack/Pine Hill Trailways timetable that has a route map right on it, and we also publish a separate New York Trailways timetable folder...if the Ithaca station does not have any, you can call our toll-free number and request them sent to you....

Greyhound publishes accurate schedules and an outdated map. The outdated map isn't that bad, just a few old routes that have been cancelled, and a few new routes, but most of it is useable. Yeah, not great, but at least they got rid of overbooking. Next up they should make a better route map. Again, I'm talking about "Greyhound", if it's not GLI or GLC, then it's not Greyhound, and I can't say anything about the other ones since the vast majority of my experience is with Greyhound. Greyhound is the one that's really working hard to improve, with their bad reputation and all.

The only "bad" Greyhounds right now are the 9000-series schedules, ex-Americanos, and they still use the crappy Americanos equipment. But no overbooking. Obviously the spare buses too, used in high season.

The biggest error on the Greyhound map is "469" which has been cancelled. E-mail Greyhound and ask for a better map, they should make it sooner or later. 340 and 350 are cancelled, but other companies still run it. Same with the shortened 482 north of Kansas City, 582 south of Tucson, and 509 east of Missoula. In Canada, some of the remote northern routes have been shortened, none are really cancelled.

So if you ignore 469 and remote Canadian routes, the rest should be OK. Or just go with the Timetable Index, very accurate. If you want a remote Greyhound ride, there's still the Dawson Creek-Whitehorse as Table 716 currently on http://extranet.greyhound.com/Revsup/csked2/pageset.html.

Edit: I just noticed that Dawson Creek-Whitehorse shows a transfer in Fort Nelson. People who rode that route recently say there's no transfer, it's just a split schedule because south of Fort Nelson is 6x weekly and north of Fort Nelson to Whitehorse is 3x weekly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Greyhound hardly publishes a "public" timetable.

This timetable on their extranet site is clearly intended for employees and I think they keep open access for diehard Greyhound fans (like Swadian) and transportation geeks (like most of the rest of us.) But this timetable is clearly not meant for public consumption. It would be nice to have this more prominently displayed on Greyhound.com with an accurate map, but I don't see it happening.

What I see with this timetable, is that anyone can understand it. So anyone can easily use it if Greyhound posts it to their official website, instead of Extranet. They would need to get rid of the typos and update the route map, but it's not that hard.

By the way, Greyhound finally made a news release about Express service on the San Francisco-Reno, but it started on June 25th and they made the release on July 1st.

Check out the new Dallas-Los Angeles Limiteds and you will see Yield Management in action. For example, the schedules with worse times are cheaper ($59.50), while the best times are more expensive (up to $86).

Also, there's the new Americanos Limited on the Denver-El Paso, presumably using Americanos X3-45's, exact same as Greyhound's. Their other buses are all falling apart, except for the few rebuilt 102DL3's, some of which have been transferred to Greyhound.

Back