Going to Tucson

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amtrak Watcher

Lead Service Attendant
I'm taking the Texas Eagle (in a standard sleeper) to Tucson from Fort Worth on business in mid-October, and returning to to Fort Worth the following week. I've heard mostly bad news all over the media about the Texas Eagle, and wonder if anyone can give me an idea what I'm in store for.

I'm not worried about the service: prison is better than air travel as far as I'm concerned. I've had only exceptional service on Amtrak.

According to the Amtrak web site, the Texas Eagle arrives in Tucson at 9:30 PM. Is is safe to plan appointments in Tucson for the following morning? Or are the delays even more stunning in their duration?

Well there is always a chance of being late enough that you could miss a morning appointment, but I would guess that it's probably around a 10% chance that you could be that late.

However the other side of the coin would be, are you going to be fully functional in the morning if your train is 6 hours late? That's something that is not beyond the realm of possibility. I would probably say that you have a 30% to 40% chance of being that late. Unless of course UP cleans up its act before your trip starts.

Mind you these percentages are more guesses on my part, based upon the overall performance of the Eagle/Sunset Limited.

Other choice would be either check on Amtrak reservation via internet for arrival time for the past few days or even weeks. Or you can call 800 Amtrak number. That'll give you the best idea for Tuscon arrival time, from best to worst (might be derailment).

Also, since there are western ocean ports shut down due to strikes, the traffic on the track might be a little less, so probably improve the Amtrak time performance. I would recommend to check Amtrak arrival status few days before the port strike.

Enjoy your trip!

My experience with the Texas Eagle is as follows:

4 hours late Longview, Tx, to Bloomingington, Il.

6 hours late return trip.

5.5 hours late Longview, Tx, to Chicago, Il.

1 hour late return trip.

Dose this help?

This all very helpful information. Thanks!

I have considerable experience with Amtrak delays, but not on the Texas Eagle, which will be a new experience for me. The nice thing about delays on Amtrak (vs. on the airlines) is that you still arrive (whenever you finally do) in much better shape than you ever would with the airlines - especially if you've booked a sleeper. There's a big difference between a sleeper compartment or even one of those big coach seats and a spot on the airport floor. I have expereince in all three situations.

well the eagle hooks up with the sunset and that runs late, especially when ya hit el paso.....just be patient and you'll get in the station....and get out...and hope the engine crew dont go belly up.

and YES you come out of the train in better shape than when deplaning....even in coach with out a shower for 2 days hehe...

nobody in my family understands why I like train travel better than air....I like to see what im going by, i like to stare out the window and spot other trains on the line. I like the feel of the ride, there's nothing like the train.

Coach34135:

You hit it right on the head! I've seldom heard it described so well as you have. Even in the best of circumstances I find air travel sterile. You sit so close to people that you can't converse with them. Somewhat ironically, people need a certain minimum distance between themselves before they can be friendly and accommodating to each other. Everyone sits facing the same direction, and you can't get up and walk around. You can't construct you own agenda in the air. There is no sense of motion or progress.

Train travel is exactly the opposite. You can make the experience as sterile or as fullfilling as you want it to be. I am not a train buff: I am mystified by the machines and mechanisms as I sit in clueless bliss in my seat on the train. But I find the experience rewarding even under the worst circumstances. Delays only give me more time to meet very interesting people. It’s like a little town on wheels, and each trip is a new adventure. The feeling of actually moving from one place to another is rewarding and comforting.

I travel a great deal; most of it by air. But I much prefer the train and make wide and often expensive adjustments in my schedule to take Amtrak. People think I'm a bit crazy for doing so. I am, for example, going to Tucson for a half-day meeting, and could easily take care of everything (travel and meeting) in one day at a very low cost. But I’m spending 5 times the money and taking 7 times more time just to enjoy the experience. I feel fortunate I have the time and money to do so. I only wish there were more opportunities for me to do so. My rule: if my destination is on an Amtrak route, and if I can possibly adjust my schedule to make time for the train, then it’s Amtrak for me.

I coudl not agree more with coach34135 and Amtrak Watcher. There is nothing like the train for being relaxed, comfortable. I am an overweight person and I am miserable in an airline seat. People are so much more fun on the train---no comparison to the plane or bus.

I have a stress problem which manifests itself in extremely high blood pressure. If you look on any of the medical advice sites on the Internet, you will see that one of the controllable factors that causes stress reactions in most people is a lack of control. As soon as you enter the airport, you completely relinquish control to a whole series of events and circumstances (mostly boring ones) that are completely out of your control. You are told where to stand, what articles of clothing to remove, the manner you are to remove them, when to put them back on, where to go, when to sit down, and when to get up. You are often yelled at these days in the process if you make even the smallest mistake. It’s remarkably similar to military boot camp. Every movement is completely out of your control until you exit the airport at your destination.

When taking the train, on the other hand, you are free to assume as much control over yourself and your surroundings as you like. You can make your trip on the train as much like your home, like your office, or like any place you desire … even like a walk down the street. You enjoy complete control: an important health consideration for some people. Indeed, the absence of stressful situations has a great deal to do with the relatively relaxed condition in which you arrive at your destination when taking the train.

Most people feel tired after relatively short flights. This is caused by the small seats and the stress -- the lack of control.

And even more important: aside from reading a book, you can accomplish almost nothing while sitting on the plane. You can do almost anything you want on the train: type on your laptop, watch a movie, or call a meeting with colleagues. The train is a much better situation all around – if you have the time. The act of making the time in your schedule is, itself, a stress reducing exercise.

When I rode the Texas Eagle last year, I experienced the El Paso shuffle, and I recall going through Tuscon about 3 or 4 in the morning. At least you can sleep in your room. Bring an alarm clock because the attendant will probably notiify you about 30 minutes out of Tuscon. If you need more time, then you will be sure of not being rushed. Also, notify your appointments of your intention of arriving by Amtrak. They can check the night before and gage the train's performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back