Go on to Klameth Falls or stay in Eugene?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spinnaker

Lead Service Attendant
I am planning on riding the Willamette Valley Bikeway terminating in Eugene. Current plan is to overnight in Eugene then jump on the Starlight to Sacramento.

I am in Business Class so I am pretty sure I can make last minute changes. If I arrive early enough to Eugene, I might jump of the train, overnight in Klameth Falls, then the next day get up early and take the shuttle to Crater Lake.

It would mean an additional $20 fee and the hassle of getting the bike on and off the train and on and off the shuttle. Is the lake worth the added stress and hassle? Or should I save it for another trip? It does look pretty awesome up there from photos I have seen.

Cycle touring can be so unpredictable on arrival times (sort of like the train
default_wink.png
) I didn't want to plan ahead on just leaving from Eugene the same day I arrived in town. Just too much stress.
default_wink.png

I have been to Crater lake and it is worth the time! I would stay up there at the lodge at the lake instead of Klamath falls though.

Problem with that is the Starlight does not get into till late. Bet the shuttle does not leave that late and it would just be very late once I got to the lodge. Plus I have a tentative offer from a host in town

I will likely arrange for a host in Eugene too with the understanding I might cancel last minute.

I belong to a bicycle touring organization that is kind of cool. You can stay at the homes of other members and touring cyclists can stay with you. I have had people from all over the world stay with me, including China. I even had a Korean monk stay with me.

When do you plan to do this? The road up to Crater Lake is closed quite often until May.

Last edited by a moderator:
When do you plan to do this? The road up to Crater Lake is closed quite often until May.

Late June / early July. And yes load closure would be a factor. I understand that the road from the Klamath Falls end of the part usually is the first to opne.

Back