Glacier National Park (smoke and fires Aug/Sept 2017)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pooh2

Service Attendant
We have a trip booked on the Empire Builder in a week and just got notified that our reservation was cancelled at Lake Mcdonald Lodge due to smoke.

Does this affect the Empire Builder?

Is there any chance the train would be cancelled?

Also, any suggestions for elsewhere to stay on the other side of the park or area where smoke may not be a factor?

The post from Glacier NP I just saw on FB said the lodge closed for the season due to air quality concerns for the employees at the Lake McDonald Lodge. Other venues are not affected.

The Empire Builder is definitely NOT affected at this time.

I stayed at the Glacier Park Lodge in East Glacier in July for a week and enjoyed the vacation! We arrived on the Empire Builder. Check the Glacier NP website for the latest on the fires and smoke in and around the park.

Here is the Facebook post ...

https://www.facebook.com/GlacierNPS/posts/10155082924744912

Last edited by a moderator:
Just outside the Park boundary is the Izaak Walton Inn, in Essex MT. It's definitely a place railfans will feel at home. A decent restaurant and clean, serviceable rooms. Nothing fancy tho if that's what you're looking for. I stayed there in May, would go back again. It's right off Rt. 2, which you can take to get to West or East Glacier. The Empire Builder stops at the Inn.

http://www.izaakwaltoninn.com/

For more info about GNP fires...

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/5510/

As you were reserved for the Lake McDonald Lodge, I'm guessing you were ticketed to West Glacier (and can't/shouldn't change your Amtrak reservation). At this point, I'd start calling around for other accommodations right now. This is the "busy" season there. West Glacier and Apgar Village have a number of lodging places.

If a car rental is part of your plan, you could drive to Essex or East Glacier depending on availability at those locations.

As you were reserved for the Lake McDonald Lodge, I'm guessing you were ticketed to West Glacier (and can't/shouldn't change your Amtrak reservation). At this point, I'd start calling around for other accommodations right now. This is the "busy" season there. West Glacier and Apgar Village have a number of lodging places.

If a car rental is part of your plan, you could drive to Essex or East Glacier depending on availability at those locations.
It's the tail end of the busy season, but still good advice...

Thanks. Will be calling around today to see what's available.

We have a rental car and we're headed back to Whitefish to catch the train to Chicago.

Just a quick update on 8-31 on the local weather there in the GNP area. Yes, the Lake McDonald Lodge was closed due to very poor (read unhealthy) air quality because of an ever growing Sprague Creek Fire just a few miles away. This fire, and others in and around the Park are creating many days where there is very poor air quality and low visibility. We have had one of the hottest and driest summers in 100 years in NW Montana and the entire area is under Stage II fire restrictions. All of the recommendations provided so far are good ones. Just be aware you will need your own transportation for some of them, and sadly there is the possibility that additional fires may occur, given our hot and bone dry conditions. We are not at our best now.

With the Lake McDonald Lodge now closed that does indeed change the picture for the Red "Jammer" buses as that was a major stop on the West side of the Park. Given the current situation in the Park they may shut down the Red Bus services earlier as well. The entire situation is day to day with the smoke and fires. The regular Park shuttles are still scheduled to run a while longer, although I do believe they were scheduled to stop around the time of your arrival as well. Call ahead to the Park and they should be able to give you up to date information.

The facebook link says "The lodge was expected to close September 27 for the season." Does anyone know when the Red Bus stops running. I'll be in the area 9/24 - 10/1 and would like to see as much of the park as possible.
In the link posted above, they state that, "Red bus tours that typically stop at Lake McDonald Lodge will have their routes adjusted slightly."

That link is several days old now so, I would advise checking first at the GNP website or their official Facebook page for official information.

https://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/conditions.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Update on our weather around the Park: The smoke and fires continue. Some days are decent, but more and more the smoke is becoming a challenge. The Sprague Creek fire is becoming problematic for the entire western portion of the Park now, so be aware that this may dramatically change your options.

Our alternate plans now need some changing!

We are planning on staying in Whitefish and boarding the train next weekend.

Is there any chance the train will not run??

I'd guess its unlikely the EB will be affected by the Sprague Fire. But, things can certainly change!

Evacuations have been ordered this morning for the McDonald Lake area.

Most areas of the park remain OPEN including all areas of the North Fork, Apgar Village, the Going-to-the-Sun Road between St. Mary and Logan Pass, Granite Park Chalet, Two Medicine, St. Mary, Many Glacier and Goat Haunt.

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/article/5510/39842/

Based on previous fires, I do not think the EB will be affected when you plan to pass through the area. Of course there is no 100% in life so just have a contingency plan in your back pocket in case a worse case did occur. But also, you don't want to cancel then wish you had gone ahead with the stop.

We live in Whitefish and other than very dense smoke and bone dry conditions (the driest summer in 110 years), we are not directly effected by the challenges in GNP. In speaking with residents in and around the park this morning, some were told to evacuate now (all people in and around most of Lake McDonald) and others in the West Glacier and Apgar areas were told to be on standby to leave on short notice. Park officials were not letting anyone into the Park from the West Glacier entrance. The terrain that the Sprague fire is in is very steep and difficult, so the fire fighters have not had much success in containment. The predicted strong east winds tonight and tomorrow could possibly cause issues all the way to US 2 and yes, perhaps the main line of the BNSF, but way to early to tell if this will happen.

Sadly, the forecast for the next two weeks does not provide any relief from the hot temperatures or our drought, so all of the active fires will likely continue to burn and expand.

Much to do in and around Whitefish-so hopefully you will be able to enjoy the area!

We live in Whitefish and other than very dense smoke and bone dry conditions (the driest summer in 110 years), we are not directly effected by the challenges in GNP. In speaking with residents in and around the park this morning, some were told to evacuate now (all people in and around most of Lake McDonald) and others in the West Glacier and Apgar areas were told to be on standby to leave on short notice. Park officials were not letting anyone into the Park from the West Glacier entrance. The terrain that the Sprague fire is in is very steep and difficult, so the fire fighters have not had much success in containment. The predicted strong east winds tonight and tomorrow could possibly cause issues all the way to US 2 and yes, perhaps the main line of the BNSF, but way to early to tell if this will happen.

Sadly, the forecast for the next two weeks does not provide any relief from the hot temperatures or our drought, so all of the active fires will likely continue to burn and expand.

Much to do in and around Whitefish-so hopefully you will be able to enjoy the area!
Hope to be there next weekend! Stay safe!!

Back