Generic dining car operation thoughts

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alaska Railroad has two classes, which have different dining facilities. Did you travel first class or "Adventure Class" (which is what they call coach)? Also, don't they have some trains where the on-board service is run by cruise lines and such?

I would think the experience of the Alaska Railroad would be highly relevant, as they are a publicly-owned entity (owned by the State of Alaska), just like Amtrak and VIA. Looking at the financials of their food service might be illuminating. On the other hand, their website just says that they have dining service on some of the trains, it doesn't provide menus, and I've never heard anybody review the food.

https://www.alaskarailroad.com/travel-planning/onboard-experience/dining

During the summer there is Gold Star Service but during the winter it’s all one class. Gold star, Cafe, and Winter Service menus are available at the link above.

Here is a link to an article about the executive chef, she explains the menu and how many items are cooked in Anchorage and reheated on the train. (She would probably do wonder for Amtrak, the menus look quite good but still very simple).

https://www.anchoragepress.com/food...cle_4d310e28-6e62-11e7-8099-272a87705bb7.html

Alaska Railroad has two classes, which have different dining facilities. Did you travel first class or "Adventure Class" (which is what they call coach)? Also, don't they have some trains where the on-board service is run by cruise lines and such?
In late May 2017, I traveled in Gold Star class from Anchorage to Fairbanks. I believe I got 3 meals and 2 beers included with my fare. Since it was early in the season, the train was not crowded and it was easy to get a window seat.
The next day, I took a "cruise tour" offered by Princess Cruise Lines. We were bused from Fairbanks to Denali then we took Princess cars on the train from Denali to Talkeetna. Breakfast and beverages were offered for a fee on the train (in the Princess area). Most passengers opted to eat breakfast in the dining area, which was pretty good and not outrageously expensive (however, I do not remember the cost).

There were narrations during both trips.

Acela is that low on the list? I’ve never ridden 1st class Acela but always thought it would be decent.
I find the Acela first meals and VIA 1 business meals pretty interchangeable. In fairness, I have had a lot more of the VIA ones than the Amtrak ones, but they're really similar. Both can be great, both can be meh and breakfast generally sucks on both. My last VIA 1 experience had me longing for the last Acela one. Just sayin'...

so dinner train, Ed Ellis Pullman, via rail, Alaska rail... anyone have any comparisons they would like to make?
Andean Explorer and Hiram Bingham. The old Andean Explorer, which is now called the Peru Rail Titicaca is a 10 hour long journey from Cusco <-> Puno. They run a separate kitchen car where they prep the food and rest of the cars except for the luggage car and the open terrace lounge at the rear are all dining car. The Hiram Bingham well is in its own class blowing everyone out of the water. Still not 100% sure what we are comparing here but these 2 are "dinner trains" that I've been on.

Pictures of Andean Explorer: https://flickr.com/photos/115569327@N08/albums/72157672589470991
Pictures of Hiram Bingham: https://flickr.com/photos/115569327@N08/albums/72157673663929415

Andean Explorer and Hiram Bingham. The old Andean Explorer, which is now called the Peru Rail Titicaca is a 10 hour long journey from Cusco <-> Puno. They run a separate kitchen car where they prep the food and rest of the cars except for the luggage car and the open terrace lounge at the rear are all dining car.
In 1979, I rode a train from Puno to Cusco. I do not remember what it was called (I called it the Puno-Cusco Choo-Choo). I do not recall great food (but then again I was with my extremely frugal former husband and I am sure we did not splurge).

Also, don't they have some trains where the on-board service is run by cruise lines and such?
Some cruise lines (Princess is one) own (lease?) their own cars and pay Alaska RR to run them so they can pack the cars full and make most of the money. Their cars are a bit different than standard ARR cars (I was in ARR car a few years ago).
Similarly, cruise lines do the same with White Pass & Yukon Rwy. We went to Alaska for 40th anniversary on our own. In Skagway, our train had 12 passengers and we had tons of room and practically a private guide and conductor. We could see the cruise ship train way down below us and it was packed to the gills with people. So nice!

Some cruise lines (Princess is one) own (lease?) their own cars and pay Alaska RR to run them so they can pack the cars full and make most of the money. Their cars are a bit different than standard ARR cars (I was in ARR car a few years ago).
Similarly, cruise lines do the same with White Pass & Yukon Rwy. We went to Alaska for 40th anniversary on our own. In Skagway, our train had 12 passengers and we had tons of room and practically a private guide and conductor. We could see the cruise ship train way down below us and it was packed to the gills with people. So nice!

Yup, cruise lines do this and I learned it the hard way in 2017 what a packed in miserable experience cruise chartered trains are. Really had no choice on my Northern Europe cruise since making my own way from the port to Berlin wasn't practical and the day trip to Moscow from St Petersberg has a bunch of Russian Visa requirements by going outside of the cruise line. As someone who likes to travel independently and away from the crowds, the mass herding of 3K+ passengers like cattle really wasn't something id want to pay for again.

Oh and the pushing and shoving I can do without. I mean passengers almost knocked over our Russian Rail conductor rushing the door to board the train. It was comical at the same time sad watching people being pathetic.

Back