Forum Software Upgraded

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anthony

Founder
Honored Member
Dear all,

The Discussion Forum software has been upgraded to the newest version. You will notice much of the interface has changed; however, all of the features you are accustomed to still exist and have been enhanced.

Please post a message in the Site Improvements/Updates area if you experience any issues. Thank you for your patience, and enjoy the new features!

Anthony

Last edited by a moderator:
A much cleaner look, which I like. At first use here - and could be for a number of reasons - it's running more slowly, which I DON'T like. We'll see. Change is good (mostly). Thanks for the nice work, Anthony.

Just posted to "My Amtrak Experience", and it refreshed on my screen, and looked like it updated the post, but upon clicking "View New Content" I don't see my post........for what it's worth.

I then posted another, in a different topic,"View New Posts" Started by Ryan, and that one came up immediately.

I logged in this morning and had to do a double-take. I had no idea this was coming and had actually been thinking of making some suggestions for how to improve the look and feel of the old site. But then here comes a silent update (to me at least) and I'm pretty impressed so far. Hope it didn't cost you much time or money to make the upgrade. Now we just need to get a new banner or two and maybe some train or Amtrak-themed icons and such. :)

How does MultiQuote work?
It's a toggle/flag. So, click a MultiQuote button and it changes color. Then click the MultiQuote button in another post and that button will change color as well. Then you click the thread-level "Add Reply" button at the bottom of the window. Do NOT simply click "Reply" in a specific post or it will ignore the MultiQuote flags and ONLY quote that one post. Does that help explain it? It's a huge help compared to all the cutting and pasting and re-cutting and re-pasting that would normally be required.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope it didn't cost you much time or money to make the upgrade.
I know that Anthony spent several hours last night doing the upgrade, mostly just waiting for the update routine to convert the data into the new format needed for the new software.

In terms of dollars, the update is included in the rather modest annual maintenance fee that he pays each year.

I like the update interface so far!
smile.gif
It looks much cleaner and is easier to use!

Thanks Anthony!
cool.gif

How does MultiQuote work?
It's a toggle/flag. So, click a MultiQuote button and it changes color. Then click the MultiQuote button in another post and that button will change color as well. Then you click the thread-level "Add Reply" button at the bottom of the window. Do NOT simply click "Reply" in a specific post or it will ignore the MultiQuote flags and ONLY quote that one post. Does that help explain it? It's a huge help compared to all the cutting and pasting and re-cutting and re-pasting that would normally be required.
So it allows you to quote from multiple different replies/ OP Post that you have tagged with the button?

I see people like Alan and the Traveler splitting their posts into multiple quotes and their answers based from the same original post. I assume they are doing this manually. Is there any way to do this wothout cutting/pasting the original quote?

What has become of the low-bandwidth version? I found it much faster and easier to navigate on my smartphone.

So it allows you to quote from multiple different replies/ OP Post that you have tagged with the button?

I see people like Alan and the Traveler splitting their posts into multiple quotes and their answers based from the same original post. I assume they are doing this manually. Is there any way to do this wothout cutting/pasting the original quote?
The multi-quote function has been around for several versions now, although it was less clear what it was before. The button just said "quote" with a plus sign in front, that turned to a minus sign when clicked.

As for the splitting things up like I do, the only way to do that is to cut/paste the quote tag for each split you want. I then usually just type the closing [ /quote ] tag, without the spaces of course, but one can also cut and paste that too if you prefer.

That's what I do too. I copy the end "quote" sign, and then paste it to the end of what I want, and the beginning of the next statement I want to quote. Then I go back and remove the "/" from the beginning of each additional quote! (I like to do things the hard way!
laugh.gif
)

What has become of the low-bandwidth version? I found it much faster and easier to navigate on my smartphone.
It's still there, all the way down in the left corner there is a drop down that will let you choose "lo-fi" version.
Sorry Alan, I'm just not seeing it. I see 2 drop downs in the lower left, each has 1 item in it. One says "IP Board" and the other "English (USA)". I can't select anything else. Am I missing something?

It's still there, all the way down in the left corner there is a drop down that will let you choose "lo-fi" version.
Sorry Alan, I'm just not seeing it. I see 2 drop downs in the lower left, each has 1 item in it. One says "IP Board" and the other "English (USA)". I can't select anything else. Am I missing something?
Fredevad,

I see that now, I was just playing with things on my Iphone and I too cannot change it. Oddly enough though on my desktop, I do have that choice. So I have to believe that the forum is indeed detecting the browser type and trying to deal with things. But I honestly don't know enough about this new feature that came with this version of software to offer any further suggestions at the moment.

Once I get done with some of the other issues that I still have to deal with, I'll start trying to find some documentation on the Invision website on this and see what I can find out.

Fredevad,

I see that now, I was just playing with things on my Iphone and I too cannot change it. Oddly enough though on my desktop, I do have that choice. So I have to believe that the forum is indeed detecting the browser type and trying to deal with things. But I honestly don't know enough about this new feature that came with this version of software to offer any further suggestions at the moment.

Once I get done with some of the other issues that I still have to deal with, I'll start trying to find some documentation on the Invision website on this and see what I can find out.
Not high priority since you have other things to attend to, but ...

Actually, I was trying to find it on my desktop. I've checked in FireFox, IE, and Chrome. Could it be a permissions thing, since you're an admin (that's assuming you didn't sign in with your iPhone)?

Thanks for checking.

Fredevad,

Not high priority since you have other things to attend to, but ...

Actually, I was trying to find it on my desktop. I've checked in FireFox, IE, and Chrome. Could it be a permissions thing, since you're an admin (that's assuming you didn't sign in with your iPhone)?

Thanks for checking.
Fredevad,

I had set it to Admin only earlier in the day and hadn't told Alan; that will account for the confusion. :)

Anyway, I just enabled it for all members (excluding Guests) so please do check it out! (Refresh your page and it should now appear in that dropdown menu at the bottom of the screen.)

Could one of the Admin persons (paging Alan)explain to this high tech igno how to use the Personal Messenger (PM)feature on the new set up? I fail to see it listed on my personal page and dont see it mentioned anywhere? :unsure: Thanks! Jim

Could one of the Admin persons (paging Alan)explain to this high tech igno how to use the Personal Messenger (PM)feature on the new set up? I fail to see it listed on my personal page and dont see it mentioned anywhere? :unsure: Thanks! Jim

At the top right corner of the forum, you will see your name above the "Sign Out" link. Click your name -- it's a drop-down menu -- and within, you'll find a link to the Messenger.

I stay away for a couple of days and return to a new-looking forum. I just wanted to say that it looks good.
Aloha

Same here, but I was away to finish the deal on a house, Starting end of July I will be a resident of Vegas, and three people have already promised me work when I am settled in.

I haven't been on here for a couple of days, what a nice surprise, it looks great, thanks! It will be fun getting to know the new look better. It's really sharp and clean looking, love it.

Back