Food Preparation on Long Distance Trains

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm curious about how Amtrak prepares their food on long distance trains. Are these meals cooked from scratch on board, or are they prepared off site and microwaved? I'm particularly interested in the set-up on the Texas Eagle which I ride fairly often. Amtrak's website says that the TE is equipped with a Cross County Cafe with the following description:

The Cross Country Café offers a unique onboard experience on the City of New Orleans and Texas Eagle routes, featuring regionally inspired cuisine.

Aboard the Cross Country Café, you'll find a wide variety of delicious regional cuisine including vegetarian options, to satisfy your tastes as the train rolls through the country.

We've applied enhancements similar to those found on the Empire Builder, Coast Starlight and Capitol Limited to the Cross Country Café to create an unparalleled travel experience - the ambiance has been enriched, the versatility of the car has been increased, and the food service has been raised to a higher level. In addition to the similarity to single-level "tavern" or "bistro" cars in rail history, this bi-level car combines higher technology food and beverage preparation and service with cherry-like veneer surfaces, more comfortable seating and adjustable halogen and LED lighting.
This write-up seems to suggest that you would get better than average food in the CCC, but what I have read elsewhere seems to suggest the opposite. How does food preparation differ in a CCC compared to a typical LD train diner?

Also, an observation: while the website claims that the TE has the CCC, what I have seen in my times riding it doesn't match the pictures of the CCC I have seen online. The meals I have eaten on board seem to have been in a car identical to the regular Superliner diner. Also, the CCC seems to be a combined diner and lounge, but the TE runs both a diner and a lounge car. What's up with this?

In summary, how are meals prepared on long distance trains, is there any variation in meal preparation between routes, and what's up with the Texas Eagle and the CCC?

Amtrak converted 17 traditional dining cars into Cross Country Cafes. The goal was the pull a traditional dining car and Sightseer Lounge off particular routes and combine them into this one car. I believe the plan called for this to happen on the Eagle, Capitol, and City of NO. Maybe eventually expand to other long distance trains in the off season. The original plan even called for Sightseer Lounges to be converted into CCC configurations. There was such an outcry over losing a separate lounge the conversion stopped... But not after Amtrak lost 17 traditional dining cars to CCCs. So they still run the lounge with the CCCs on a few routes like you experienced. The lounge end of the CCC is usually where crews hang out or supplies are kept has been my experience. Oh yeah... The original promise of the CCC was food would be served bumper post to bumper post. That lasted maybe 3 months! I remember catching an early Metra to Homewood and catching the northbound City of NO and actually got a full breakfast into Chicago.

I'll leave the food prep part of the OPs question to someone with more knowledge of that...

Most of the food is prepared at a commissary and heated one way or another onboard.

Omelets, grits, steaks, oatmeal, and baked potatoes are cooked onboard, though I'd bet the grits and oatmeal are the instant type that they just add hot water too rather than cook for 5 minutes or so.

I believe the bacon and sausage is precooked part way by the commissary before being finished onboard.

The CCC car has a full diner kitchen on the first floor. So If you get a CCC car with a full diner menu, you will be served the same food, prepared the same way in a traditional dining car.

The differences between a CCC car and a traditional Superliner Dining car are pretty small to the non-railfain. Both have booths which seat 4 throughout most of the car. The CCC cars have the lamps built into the table. The CCC has a partially enclosed food prep area which can double as a Lounge Service counter. The Superliner Diners have a prep area in the middle of the car just out in the open (I prefer the enclosed CCC style).

I'm in the minority but I think the CCC design is very good, as the cars can be used as either a lounge, a diner, or both. For a company that is low on equipment, that can come in quite handy.

As for food prep.. on the full diner menu, eggs, pancackes, omlettes, steak, fish entree, baked potatoes, are cooked fresh on-board while other items are brought on fully or partially cooked and re-heated on board. It should be noted... nothing on the regular diner menu is microwaved.. Amtrak uses convection ovens to reheat food.

I'm not exactly sure on cooking techniques, but there are items like the burgers that appear to be reheated the way you would cook them... i.e. on a grill.

Two Amtrak trains currently operate with the CCC - the Texas Eagle and the City of New Orleans (CONO). The menu and food on the TE are IDENTICAL to that of a standard Superliner Dining Car. Meanwhile, the CONO serves a limited menu with heat-and-eat meals that are prepared ahead of time.

Also, an observation: while the website claims that the TE has the CCC, what I have seen in my times riding it doesn't match the pictures of the CCC I have seen online. The meals I have eaten on board seem to have been in a car identical to the regular Superliner diner.
The former may be because Amtrak removed the weird 3-seat booths, and replaced them with relatively standard 2+2 seating. The main differences between the CCCs and the standard diners are:

• No tablecloths in the CCC
  • CCC has the car split into two sections
  • The enclosed bar area in the CCC
  • The tables get narrower towards the aisle in the CCC
The two are definitely different, but the differences may not stand out from memory.

Also, the CCC seems to be a combined diner and lounge, but the TE runs both a diner and a lounge car. What's up with this?
The Cross Country Cafe was conceived of as a diner-lounge combo (in fact, their official designation is 'Diner-Lounge'). The Texas Eagle operated for a very short period with a sole CCC serving as both a lounge and diner (and the CONO also did so for much longer), but the cars were incredibly overcrowded and overworked, so now it's a CCC + regular lounge.

In summary, how are meals prepared on long distance trains, is there any variation in meal preparation between routes, and what's up with the Texas Eagle and the CCC?
Meal preparation is basically identical on all but a few LD routes. Those few are the Lake Shore Limited, Cardinal, and CONO. The three offer a limited menu, heat-and-eat cooking, and less staff. The food on the TE will taste virtually identical to even that of the Empire Builder.

Meal preparation is basically identical on all but a few LD routes. Those few are the Lake Shore Limited, Cardinal, and CONO. The three offer a limited menu, heat-and-eat cooking, and less staff. The food on the TE will taste virtually identical to even that of the Empire Builder.
I've heard in a couple places that the Empire Builder may have at least some small advantages in the level of service. Is that true?

I've heard in a couple places that the Empire Builder may have at least some small advantages in the level of service. Is that true?
The Empire Builder may still have extra staff to accommodate the busy train, but I think that's it.

The empire builder along with the capitol and coast starlight used to offer a few upgrades like ceramic plates and glass glassware and a few regional entrees like the pasta dish with Beechers cheese (Beechers is a Pike Place cheese shop in Seattle).

In that same time perioid, the empire builder dining car would offer a free wine tasting for sleeping car passengers.

I believe the bacon and sausage is precooked part way by the commissary before being finished onboard.
Bacon and sausage are precooked in a commissary. Bacon isn't the kind of meat you can cook on the sly. Everyone within a car or two would know if fresh bacon was being cooked on board the train. The precooked reheated sausage is boiled in water leaving it bloated and flavorless.

As for food prep.. on the full diner menu, eggs, pancackes, omlettes, steak, fish entree, baked potatoes, are cooked fresh on-board while other items are brought on fully or partially cooked and re-heated on board. It should be noted...
Eggs and baked potatoes are cooked fresh. Steak is cooked frozen. Fish is precooked and simply warmed up. You can confirm which entrees are cooked on board by comparing which items have the FDA undercooked warning. Every single lunch entree uses precooked reheated meats. On my last trip pancakes were only available to children so can't comment on them.

Nothing on the regular diner menu is microwaved. Amtrak uses convection ovens to reheat food. I'm not exactly sure on cooking techniques, but there are items like the burgers that appear to be reheated the way you would cook them... i.e. on a grill.
Once food has been precooked and refrozen it doesn't really matter how you reheat it again as the result is largely the same (IMO). To this day Amtrak's burger remains the most disappointing example I've ever had outside of a middle school cafeteria. If someone knows of a for-profit sit down restaurant that makes worse burgers than Amtrak please let me know.

A few minutes ago the cooking hostess on one of my local TV news broadcasts showed how to mix portioned omelet ingredients into a Ziploc baggie, store them in the fridge and cook them in boiling water as needed. She explained it was some French cooking technique many restaurants actually use. The omelet looked really good and I wondered if that was how Amtrak serves theirs.....

To this day Amtrak's burger remains the most disappointing example I've ever had outside of a middle school cafeteria. If someone knows of a for-profit sit down restaurant that makes worse burgers than Amtrak please let me know.
My fondest memories of food on Amtrak LD, was their burger. It was always my back-up choice, even at dinner time. Just to add, my second fondest would be their Railroad French Toast.

Bad burgers? I still remember being at a children's home and it was lunch time. I was standing in line, and the other adults (workers) keep tell me, "go for the salad bar". I figured how bad could the burger possibly be? I got the burger. It was so bad, not only would I not eat it, I would not give I to my dog either (who was with me). So, I know for sure just how bad a "burger" could be.

Bacon and sausage are precooked in a commissary. Bacon isn't the kind of meat you can cook on the sly. Everyone within a car or two would know if fresh bacon was being cooked on board the train. The precooked reheated sausage is boiled in water leaving it bloated and flavorless.
They reheat it by boiling it in water? Eeewwwww!

Once food has been precooked and refrozen it doesn't really matter how you reheat it again as the result is largely the same (IMO). To this day Amtrak's burger remains the most disappointing example I've ever had outside of a middle school cafeteria. If someone knows of a for-profit sit down restaurant that makes worse burgers than Amtrak please let me know.
I don't know if you have them in your area but Bob's Big Boy and Hardee's makes a burger that is fairly nasty. This is astounding since they have access to a grill.

A few minutes ago the cooking hostess on one of my local TV news broadcasts showed how to mix portioned omelet ingredients into a Ziploc baggie, store them in the fridge and cook them in boiling water as needed. She explained it was some French cooking technique many restaurants actually use. The omelet looked really good and I wondered if that was how Amtrak serves theirs.....
That technique is called Sous-vide. I believe it is used on some of the Amtrak trains, particularly the Acela.

Do you think one of us could do a pinned thread that lists the various Amtrak food service cars, the types of food available and methods of food preparation? It might help the newbies (and even us who have been around a while). I do realize however, that the presence of a particular type of FS car in a consist doesn't always determine what will be served (as evidenced by the TE and CONO).

As for me, I have only experienced a Heritage diner and Amfleet I & II cafe/lounge cars. (So far)..............

Last edited by a moderator:
My fondest memories of food on Amtrak LD, was their burger. It was always my back-up choice, even at dinner time...Bad burgers? I still remember being at a children's home and it was lunch time...I figured how bad could the burger possibly be? I got the burger. It was so bad, not only would I not eat it, I would not give I to my dog either (who was with me). So, I know for sure just how bad a "burger" could be.

Here's why I think Amtrak's burger lunch is so bad...

+ It can't be cooked to order - Ask for whatever you want but you'll always get well-done.

+ It's not even close to fresh - It's frozen then precooked and refrozen and reheated again.

+ It's always served lukewarm - No matter when or how you order it's never truly hot.

+ It's really dry and spongy - The texture is mealy and it's so dry that it's tough to swallow.

+ The meat has no juice or flavor - Doesn't taste like beef or any other definable meat.

+ The bread is bland - Couldn't they at least toast their stale bread to bring out some flavor?

+ The side is always unseasoned chips - No flavor, no selection, no option for something better.

+ The pickle spear is weak - I like pickles but not the limp and mushy kind Amtrak serves.

Okay, now you try.

Amtrak sausage was fine for many years but more recently it's become so bad that it finally made me switch to bacon, which isn't really my preference, but compared to boiled sausage I'll pick bacon every time. I actually miss the sausage they served years ago. It tasted just like McDonald's patty sausage, which honestly isn't that great tasting or good for you, but it has a nostalgia factor I still enjoyed.

I don't know if you have them in your area but Bob's Big Boy and Hardee's makes a burger that is fairly nasty. This is astounding since they have access to a grill.
I haven't been in a Bob's Big Boy since I was a little boy, and we don't have any of those around here, so I can't comment on them. We don't have any Hardee's either, but we do have some Carl's Junior, which I believe is part of the same company. Maybe I should visit one and compare it to the Amtrak burger.

Last edited by a moderator:
While it is consistent as anything at amtrak (so not at all) I have gotten toasted buns in amtrak diners before and it DOES make a difference. I always order the veggie burger (I'm not a vegetarian, but I rarely order red meat, generally stick to chicken, fish, and vegetarian options). I think the Amtrak veggie burger is pretty good and actually MORE flavorful than some veggie burgers I've ordered in restaurants.

The chips are just chips... if the dining car has them available you can always ask for a side salad and to leave the chips off the plate. May or may not actually work but in theory you could ask.

EB, SEA-CHI, July, 2017: My most recent Amtrak trip.

I was pleased with my meals in the diner. The Steak, the Shrimp entree, the Burgers, French Toast, Omelette, Bacon, Sausage: all were very good. Were they the quality that I also enjoy at local upscale Steakhouses and pay for such quality? No. But, I don't expect such.

"Dinner in the Diner", along with Breakfast and Lunch, is something that I will enjoy as part of my rail journey---even if the on-board Chef lacks a Michelin Star on his/her resume.

Many decent burgers in chains have gone downhill because they are cooked to an internal temp high enough to kill e-coli. That makes them well done. They do not wish to face potential bad press and lawsuits.

One thing I saw on my last Texas Eagle trip in the CCC was they used the upstairs service "counter area" with the counter closed to prep deserts and drinks. On normal diners there isn't much space in the center service area so deserts all come from the kitchen. It seemed to expedite service and the diner crew really ran a tight operation. Not what the space was designed for, but kudos for improvisation.

As for food prep.. on the full diner menu, eggs, pancackes, omlettes, steak, fish entree, baked potatoes, are cooked fresh on-board while other items are brought on fully or partially cooked and re-heated on board. It should be noted...
Eggs and baked potatoes are cooked fresh. Steak is cooked frozen. Fish is precooked and simply warmed up. You can confirm which entrees are cooked on board by comparing which items have the FDA undercooked warning. Every single lunch entree uses precooked reheated meats. On my last trip pancakes were only available to children so can't comment on them.

Nothing on the regular diner menu is microwaved. Amtrak uses convection ovens to reheat food. I'm not exactly sure on cooking techniques, but there are items like the burgers that appear to be reheated the way you would cook them... i.e. on a grill.
Things may have changed. I'm not sure how it was before, but.... Jimmy Dean pork sausage patties are offered along side chicken sausage links, and both are to be reheated on the grill. No pots in the kitchen to reheat items in water. And the bacon? Let's just say...it's a retail brand that comes precooked. I'll leave everyone to figure that one out!

The steak may end up being thawed in the oven before it is cooked, though it shouldn't be, and it certainly shouldn't be cooked from frozen. Also, although the salmon comes frozen, it is NOT precooked. In fact, you may even ask that your salmon be cooked to your preference of wellness.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Amtrak Forum mobile app

While it is consistent as anything at amtrak (so not at all) I have gotten toasted buns in amtrak diners before and it DOES make a difference. I always order the veggie burger (I'm not a vegetarian, but I rarely order red meat, generally stick to chicken, fish, and vegetarian options). I think the Amtrak veggie burger is pretty good and actually MORE flavorful than some veggie burgers I've ordered in restaurants.

The chips are just chips... if the dining car has them available you can always ask for a side salad and to leave the chips off the plate. May or may not actually work but in theory you could ask.
If you're in the sleepers you're always entitled to a side salad, and should be offered one with your meal no matter what entree you order. If you're in coach you're more than welcome to have a side salad instead, but it will cost $3.

That technique is called Sous-vide. I believe it is used on some of the Amtrak trains, particularly the Acela.

If Amtrak is adopting Sous-vide, that is a good thing if commissary and crew are properly trained. Entrees prepared the sous-vide way should be more flavorful and taste fresher than food that is frozen and microwaved. Sous-vide is actually a two-step process that saves time and enhances quality. Some four and five star restaurants are adopting sous-vide.

I've tried it at home with mixed results (a home sous-vide unit can now be had for under $100) but I think its best potential is with using commercial units in food service.

Things may have changed. I'm not sure how it was before, but.... Jimmy Dean pork sausage patties are offered along side chicken sausage links, and both are to be reheated on the grill. No pots in the kitchen to reheat items in water.
I've tried both types several times. What sort of pot, pan, skillet, tray, or dish may have been used I cannot say. Mainly because the actual cooking/heating process is completely hidden from view on Superliners. I can only tell you that I know what boiled meat looks and tastes like and that's precisely how Amtrak sausage looks and tastes to me. It's not always like this, sometimes the sausage is dry, but on more trips than not the sausage was flavorless and waterlogged. It also gets annoying to have sausage water coming into contact with other items on my plate. You don't have to believe me but I would have never switched to bacon if the sausage wasn't prepared in such a bland and tasteless manner.

The steak may end up being thawed in the oven before it is cooked, though it shouldn't be, and it certainly shouldn't be cooked from frozen. Also, although the salmon comes frozen, it is NOT precooked. In fact, you may even ask that your salmon be cooked to your preference of wellness.
If the salmon is sourced raw then why is it not included in the FDA thorough cooking warnings list?

Things may have changed. I'm not sure how it was before, but.... Jimmy Dean pork sausage patties are offered along side chicken sausage links, and both are to be reheated on the grill. No pots in the kitchen to reheat items in water.
I've tried both types several times. What sort of pot, pan, skillet, tray, or dish may have been used I cannot say. Mainly because the actual cooking/heating process is completely hidden from view on Superliners. I can only tell you that I know what boiled meat looks and tastes like and that's precisely how Amtrak sausage looks and tastes to me. It's not always like this, sometimes the sausage is dry, but on more trips than not the sausage was flavorless and waterlogged. It also gets annoying to have sausage water coming into contact with other items on my plate. You don't have to believe me but I would have never switched to bacon if the sausage wasn't prepared in such a bland and tasteless manner.

If the salmon is sourced raw then why is it not included in the FDA thorough cooking warnings list?
I'm not saying I don't believe you. What the issue could be is that maybe the crew left it too long in the steam table. But I assure you, no boiling of anything on that grill top. God..boiled sausage sounds puke inducing.

And huh..good question about the FDA warning. I've triple checked the service guide and although it doesn't say it's raw, it doesn't say it's precooked, which with the other wording leads me to believe it's raw (like saying it can be cooked medium rare, medium, or medium well).

Back