Following Anniversary Engine #145

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I caught it today in Agency, Iowa leading the California Zephyr toward Chicago at 8:28 a.m. (Note: Skip to 2:06 for when 145 first appears.)

Last edited by a moderator:
145 is now heading back west leading Amtrak #5(15) this evening. The train is currently running on time.

This video of the California Zephyr was taken east of Agency, Iowa:

Amtrak 145 in on California Zephyr traveling to Chicago again. It is now heading east across Iowa over half an hour late. I caught it in Agency, Iowa. It is the second unit on the train. There have been reports on other websites that it was leading.

Also, it might just be me, but the lead engine's horn sounds a bit funny. I wonder it may be fouled, or if it might have something to do with the temperature being 18 degrees Fahrenheit with a wind chill of -3 degrees (Happy first day of spring!).

Amtrak 145 is leading the California Zephyr out west again. Here it is leaving Ottumwa, Iowa on time. The engineer was kind enough to give a horn salute.

Amtrak 145 should arrive in Chicago again later today leading Amtrak #6(24). I caught the Zephyr east of Agency, Iowa running about 12 minutes late, but the slow order heard being given to Amtrak's engineer (or is it conductor? I'm not sure.) in the first part of the video put the train over half an hour late.

but the slow order heard being given to Amtrak's engineer (or is it conductor? I'm not sure.)
That would have been either the engineer or the fireman. Since the other voice clearly identified himself as being the foreman, that means that the voice from Amtrak had to have been in the engine. The Conductor isn't allowed to copy the slow order & authority to pass the red flag. Not to mention that's unlikely that his radio would have reached the foreman; only the more powerful radio in the engine would be able to transmit/receive that far.

The engineer/fireman will then repeat the order to the conductor, but again the engineer/fireman is the one who takes the initial order.

On a freight train, since the conductor would most likely be in the cab, then it could well be the conductor copying the info down. But not on Amtrak.

145 is traveling west right on Amtrak #5(12) as the second engine facing east. I caught this California Zephyr

passing through Agency, Iowa running one hour late.

145 is returning to Chicago on the California Zephyr today. It passed by Agency, Iowa running 27 minutes late; not bad for Amtrak #6 here. This was the last #6 through Donner Pass before Union Pacific closed it for track work. I'm glad 145 didn't get stuck in California.

AMTK 145 is on Amtrak #5(30) traveling with the Exhibit Train which is to be on display at Denver Union Station this Saturday. I saw this California Zephyr at Agency, Iowa running about fifteen minutes late.

145 and the Amtrak Exhibit Train are now returning east on Amtrak #6(10) having been on display in Grand Junction, Colorado during the weekend. This California Zephyr was over four and a half hours late when it passed through Agency, Iowa.

Seems that AMTK 822 and 145 have stuck together since the Gulf Coast special. Both of them are now taking Amtrak #5(23) westward. This California Zephyr was running right on time when it came through Agency, Iowa this evening. 145 is the second unit.

AMTK 145 is returning east as the second engine on Amtrak #6(15) after being on Reno Fun Train/Sierra Scenic Train duty. Although it is not returning with the other engine it was working with, AMTK 822. With the exception of the baggage car, this train set is the same as the #5 that took 184 west last week, so apparently there are still two anniversary engines out west.

The eastbound California Zephyr with 145 was fifty-one minutes late when it came through Agency, Iowa.

Amtrak #5(03) is being led west by AMTK 145. I saw it come through Agency, Iowa just over half an hour late.

145 led Amtrak #6(06) through Agency, Iowa yesterday. On the end of the train was a heritage baggage car. This is the baggage car that was part of the move of the Siemens Chargers from Denver to the test track at Pueblo.

Back