First train trip...getting nervous

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone. :)

This is my first post on this board, and it's regarding plans for my first train trip ever. My family and I (husband, and four kids, ages 12, 12, 15 and 17) are booked on the Southwest Chief this summer. We are traveling by bus from Las Vegas to Kingman, AZ. From there we will catch the train and take it all the way to Chicago.

We are booked in coach. Unfortunately, there is no way I can afford sleeping rooms for all 6 of us, so we really didn't have a choice.

I have done days (weeks?) worth of research, reading all sorts of train forums, watching youtube videos, etc. trying to learn all I can about train travel. I have found a lot of great tips and was very excited to undertake this adventure with my family.

But, I'm also getting nervous. I've read stories of how awful and dirty the coach bathrooms can be, stories of unruly and intoxicated passengers, rude staff, etc. and I hope I'm not making a mistake taking my kids on this journey.

I also have a couple questions. First, is motion sickness on trains a problem, or common?

Second, it says there is no checked baggage on this trip. Each one of us will have a suitcase. Is there a luggage storage area? I tried to look that up, but was unclear on that.

Third, on the return trip, the train arrives in Kingman at 11:39 p.m. and the bus for Vegas leaves at 11:50 p.m. If the train is late, does that mean we can end up stuck at the station??

Finally, (at least for now, lol) I read that food is allowed to be carried on, but what's the easiest way to do that? Do people really bring coolers and such on board? Space in coach seems limited, so I'm confused on how people bring on their own food/snacks.

Sorry if these questions seem silly or naive. I've tried to do as much research on my own as I could, including on these forums. But, I'd love to hear from a few of you who can hopefully help alleviate some of my concerns. I was so excited for this adventure, and I really don't want to fly. I'm just getting nervous of the unknown, I guess. :(

Thanks in advance for any help, tips, or advice! I appreciate it.

Hello and welcome to the forum! :)

To answer some of your questions:

There is plenty of luggage storage. There is an overhead rack above your seats that is much larger than on planes, and there is also a rack on the lower level for luggage. You should have no problems there. Regarding the bus situation, I don't know this for sure, but in almost all cases, the bus doesn't leave until after the train gets there, regardless of how late the train is. Again, I don't know this for sure, but I believe that to be the case. I don't ride coach that often, but I have seen people bring their own snacks and a (small) cooler. There is actually a lot of legroom in the coaches. And as far as dirty restrooms and rude employees, that does happen. But not, in my experience, as a general rule. For me, more often than not, restrooms and employees have been just fine. As for drunks and unruly passengers, that does happen too. But it is certainly not the norm, and Amtrak personnel usually take care of the problem. As for motion sickness, I don't have any experience with it, as I don't have any tendencies for it, but from what I have seen, and heard, I don't think it is much of a problem. Again, I am speaking from my experience, when I've never had a problem with motion sickness, even on boats. Someone else with more experience than I can probably help you out there.

My advice? Relax and have fun!!! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Relax. There are lots of "war stories" which get swapped around, but the reality is usually a lot tamer. The bathrooms may be cluttered and the trash cans full, but they are seldom "filthy"...and if they are, ask the car attendant to give them the once-over. If he seems reluctant, speak to the conductor.

Kids do fine on Amtrak. I've taken my nephews and nieces on several trains, both in coach and in sleeper. Bring along a DVD player and a few movies (be sure you have headphones in coach) and it ought to be a great trip.

If you don't get motion sickness in a car you shouldn't get it on Amtrak. The motion is different from a car, but usually gentle.

There is a large common luggage storage area on the lower level of your Superliner coach. Feel free to use it. There is also a smaller overhead rack above your seat which you can use for items you want with you during the trip.

The Las Vegas bus is operated by Amtrak. The bus WILL wait for the train if the train is late.

If I were you I would mostly try to bring on snacks...chips, beef sticks, maybe some candy. Snacks are available in the lounge car but are at movie-theater type prices. It will be difficult to manage any cooler (except maybe one of those 6-pack sized Playmates) in coach and there will not be any resupply of ice available (in sleeper things are different). You might want to bring some food to tide you over through one or two meals but I recommend that you try to sample at least one or two meals in the dining car...breakfast definitely, dinner if you can afford it, and lunch...well, if you're going to skip any dining car meal, skip lunch.

Hi there!

You'll be fine in coach and your children are old enough to entertain themselves too.

I travel almost exclusively in coach and always have a great time.

I've also never had a filthy bathroom.... yet, I'm sure others have though.

If you have or see a problem like that, you need to bring it to the attention of the staff, Amtrak doesn't want to scare customers off.

On the Superliners, like the Southwest Chief, there are 6 bathrooms downstairs - I've also never had to wait to use one.

Bring whatever food you want, there's a lot of room on the floor by your seat or in the storage area above.

I recently posted some photos and information in another thread about the California Zephyr and a lot of it applies to your trip too - it's also about a family of 6 traveling.

The CZ is also a Superliner like the SWC, the photos will give you a good idea of the space.

I was on the SWC in April and I loved it!

Cool scenery and the staff was awesome both ways.

Have FUN and don't worry, it will be fine as long as you can go with the flow .

There are delays sometimes so you have to be prepared for that too.

Here's the other thread:

Luggage and seating on Superliner

I get carsickness easily but I've never had any problems on a train on all my rides (and that includes reading books or a paper.) If you're still nervous about it just bring along some carsickness pills (forget the name but you know the kind they sell at any type of rite-aid or pharmacy store) and you'll be fine.

I've been on a couple of trains where the bathrooms smell a bit but nothing too horrendous (much cleaner than most airplane bathrooms IMHO)

Hello everyone. :)

This is my first post on this board, and it's regarding plans for my first train trip ever. My family and I (husband, and four kids, ages 12, 12, 15 and 17) are booked on the Southwest Chief this summer. We are traveling by bus from Las Vegas to Kingman, AZ. From there we will catch the train and take it all the way to Chicago.

We are booked in coach. Unfortunately, there is no way I can afford sleeping rooms for all 6 of us, so we really didn't have a choice.

I have done days (weeks?) worth of research, reading all sorts of train forums, watching youtube videos, etc. trying to learn all I can about train travel. I have found a lot of great tips and was very excited to undertake this adventure with my family.

But, I'm also getting nervous. I've read stories of how awful and dirty the coach bathrooms can be, stories of unruly and intoxicated passengers, rude staff, etc. and I hope I'm not making a mistake taking my kids on this journey.

I also have a couple questions. First, is motion sickness on trains a problem, or common?

Second, it says there is no checked baggage on this trip. Each one of us will have a suitcase. Is there a luggage storage area? I tried to look that up, but was unclear on that.

Third, on the return trip, the train arrives in Kingman at 11:39 p.m. and the bus for Vegas leaves at 11:50 p.m. If the train is late, does that mean we can end up stuck at the station??

Finally, (at least for now, lol) I read that food is allowed to be carried on, but what's the easiest way to do that? Do people really bring coolers and such on board? Space in coach seems limited, so I'm confused on how people bring on their own food/snacks.

Sorry if these questions seem silly or naive. I've tried to do as much research on my own as I could, including on these forums. But, I'd love to hear from a few of you who can hopefully help alleviate some of my concerns. I was so excited for this adventure, and I really don't want to fly. I'm just getting nervous of the unknown, I guess. :(

Thanks in advance for any help, tips, or advice! I appreciate it.
1. Very uncommon on trains, not a problem.

2. There is checked baggage on the SWC, just not on the shuttle. I've never taken that shuttle, but on the SWC you will have room even if you do not check baggage. I'm not sure if you can check baggage at Kingman.

3. No need to worry, somebody already said that it would wait for you.

4. Coolers are probably too big. Just bring them in some type of flexible bag.

Just a quick note-we travel with a soft-sided cooler. There is plenty of room by your feet to put it or even in the overhead (which, as others have said, is much larger than in a plane). We use a frozen pack to keep things cold (ice tends to leak) and once the cooler is empty, it can be folded flat and put inside a suitcase. It's a great space saver and you're not carrying around an empty plastic cooler. Just a thought....

Enjoy your trip! A shared family adventure is the best kind of memory :)

I have found when I've brought food with me that some things end up getting pretty well messed up from all the jostling. I'd avoid chips that come in bags, crackers, breakfast tarts, etc. For me they have ended up all crumbs.

I have found when I've brought food with me that some things end up getting pretty well messed up from all the jostling. I'd avoid chips that come in bags, crackers, breakfast tarts, etc. For me they have ended up all crumbs.
I used a small metal lunchbox on my trip on the CL/CZ. I had package P&B crackers and mini-bags of M&Ms in it and the crackers survived (the M&Ms survived the jostling, but not my mouth :giggle: ). It fit nicely in my sizeable overnight shoulder bag.

If no one who is going on the trip is subject to motion sickness, then relax - forget about it. But if they are ...

Motion sickness, is supposed to be from the brain having trouble deciphering conflicting signals from the ears and eyes. This occurs primarily at two times on our trains:

1. In a restroom, because the ears sense motion, while the eyes can't. In this case, try to go to the restroom when the train is not moving.

2. On a dark night in an isolated area. Even though it's hard to give the eyes visual cues of motion by looking out the window, aside from dramamine, it might be your best bet.

Sometimes taking things for an upset stomach, sipping ginger ale for example, might help to alleviate the queasiness.

My wife, daughter and sister are subject to motion sickness. Fortunately, I am not.

Good luck.

jb

I get motion sickness sometimes in a car when somebody is driving aggressively and anything that spins. I have never gotten sick on a train, except I have felt a littel queezy when riding backwards. When I have, I had found not to look out the window and maybe even close my eyes. I think it has something with my eyes trying to focus on something outside but it is going the oposite direction that I am used to. Never did I get sick in the bathroom. This is one thing that makes me nervouse about booking a bedroom, because knowing my luck I would end up having to ride backwards. My wife is the same way.

As far as snacks, I usually get combos. Chips, pretzels, cerial bars, etc. are way to delicate. The shape of the combo seams to be structurally durable but of course you can't crush them tooo much.

My daughter also had some motion sickness riding backwards (which meant I had to ride backwards in our roomette :angry2: except when she wanted to nap). Heck the scenary was nice both coming and going, so it was no big deal. :giggle: We picked up some motion sickness medicine as CUS, but I don't think she ever used it.

Thank-you so much everyone for taking the time to reply and offer your advice as well as share your experiences and tips. I really do appreciate it! :)

It's nice to hear motion sickness shouldn't be much of an issue (knock on wood) and that there is plenty of luggage space. And of course it's nice to know we shouldn't end up stranded in Kingman if the train is a bit late. lol

I've been making notes on suggested snack items to pack, along with what's best to pack them in. And, also non-food items such as headphones, wipes for cleaning up, Dramamine (just in case), etc. My husband says I'm a bit obsessive, perhaps he's right, although I will never admit it to him, but I really want everything to go as smoothly as possible. Since this is the first time on a train for all of us, not just myself, I don't want any bad experiences to scare off my kids from ever wanting to travel by train again! Obviously there's always potential for things to go wrong on any trip, but I'm sure it will be fine. Can't be worse than flying which is so unpleasant, and expensive, these days.

JoanieB, I especially wanted to thank you for the link to those photos. That helped a lot. I've been doing research, but only looking out for info/threads about SWC not realizing that other trains were similar in layout and seating. It was also interesting to read about a family or group of 6 possibly not being seated together. I hadn't thought about that. My older two can probably sit alone, but my younger ones I'd like to keep near me and my husband, so that's something to look into. I'm glad you posted that.

If anyone can think of any other helpful first timer tips, or tricks that have worked for you in the past, I'd love to hear it. Thanks again for your time and information! I'm sure I'll be spending lots of time reading these boards between now and our trip in August. ;)

I would also encourage your kids to spend some time in the siteseer car. The upstairs is a great place to watch the scenery out the big windows, and the downstairs has booths and tables where they can play games while still watching the scenery. If you're lucky, there will be a Trails & Rails educational program on your train between Albuquerque and La Junta, which would take place in the upper level.

You can also use the trip to cover educational topics, such as Route 66, Raton Pass, the Santa Fe Trail, Kansas City, and the Illinois Canals. If you haven't already done so, download the Amtrak Route Guide here.

If I were you I would mostly try to bring on snacks...chips, beef sticks, maybe some candy. Snacks are available in the lounge car but are at movie-theater type prices.
I wouldnt go that far. Amtrak has far more reasonable prices IMO.

They dont charge 5 dollars for what is a can of soda.

Also if you want to bring alcohol on board, do it discreetly. Amtrak conductors dont usually care but some do so...

Hi,

I am sure you will have a good time aboard the train... food items I crave on a longer trip are fresh things, salads or a crunchy apple, and I also bring plenty of bottled water to drink. It is NOT permitted to bring and consume your own alcohol aboard the train, in coach, and a family atmosphere with regard to behaviour and language is the norm. I find that long distance coach travel is a bit like a whole community on the move, folk do tend to chat and look out for each other... I have had many interesting conversations and learnt a lot about America from my coach trip companions.

Relax!

Ed :cool:

Other snack suggestions (some of these work better just BECAUSE there are 6 of you): canned tuna & smoked oysters, small rounds of cheese like Brie or wrapped wedges like Laughing Cow, bagels or french bread, dried fruit, almonds, wholegrain crackers, fresh fruit. There are paper towels in the restrooms to use for napkins. Since you are going to be on the same train the whole way, try bringing a gallon jug of water for each two people. Not too much to carry, and you will really appreciate not spending $4 per person, per day, just for water. There is drinking water in coach, but it may taste a little like iodine (which is how they keep it pure in the tanks). If you start to run a little low, you can always take your jug into a station stop and refill with tap water.

Thank-you so much everyone for taking the time to reply and offer your advice as well as share your experiences and tips. I really do appreciate it! :)

It's nice to hear motion sickness shouldn't be much of an issue (knock on wood) and that there is plenty of luggage space. And of course it's nice to know we shouldn't end up stranded in Kingman if the train is a bit late. lol

I've been making notes on suggested snack items to pack, along with what's best to pack them in. And, also non-food items such as headphones, wipes for cleaning up, Dramamine (just in case), etc. My husband says I'm a bit obsessive, perhaps he's right, although I will never admit it to him, but I really want everything to go as smoothly as possible. Since this is the first time on a train for all of us, not just myself, I don't want any bad experiences to scare off my kids from ever wanting to travel by train again! Obviously there's always potential for things to go wrong on any trip, but I'm sure it will be fine. Can't be worse than flying which is so unpleasant, and expensive, these days.

JoanieB, I especially wanted to thank you for the link to those photos. That helped a lot. I've been doing research, but only looking out for info/threads about SWC not realizing that other trains were similar in layout and seating. It was also interesting to read about a family or group of 6 possibly not being seated together. I hadn't thought about that. My older two can probably sit alone, but my younger ones I'd like to keep near me and my husband, so that's something to look into. I'm glad you posted that.

If anyone can think of any other helpful first timer tips, or tricks that have worked for you in the past, I'd love to hear it. Thanks again for your time and information! I'm sure I'll be spending lots of time reading these boards between now and our trip in August. ;)
About the wipes - never flush them down the toilet. It could clog up the works for the entire coach.

Not tuna, you will stink up the whole car!
We once picked up some smoked salmon at the Pike Place Fish Market before boarding the EB, and snacked on it for supper in coach. As soon as we opened it, I felt sorry for anybody around us, but there was no way I was going to NOT eat it! Can't waste good salmon! Luckily, we were in the last row, and there weren't very many people near us.

It still can't be quite as bad as when I picked up some Ivar's clam chowder on the way through SeaTac airport, then realized the plane was already boarding when I got to the gate. I had to eat it on the plane, and with everybody packed in like sardines (they don't smell good, either), there would have been no escaping that smell. :lol:

It seems like you never realize how much odor there is to many foods until you are packed into a confined space with other people. And many foods don't smell very good if you're not the one eating them.

Thank-you for the new suggestions everyone! I've been eagerly reading every post and I appreciate all the help. Even if some of it doesn't pertain to us, for example we don't drink alcohol so bringing some on board isn't really an issue, it's all good to know and interesting to read. And who knows, maybe it will help another newbie like me who stumbles across this info. ^_^

One more question. If we bring portable DVD players, is there someplace on board to charge them?

I would also encourage your kids to spend some time in the siteseer car. The upstairs is a great place to watch the scenery out the big windows, and the downstairs has booths and tables where they can play games while still watching the scenery. If you're lucky, there will be a Trails & Rails educational program on your train between Albuquerque and La Junta, which would take place in the upper level.

You can also use the trip to cover educational topics, such as Route 66, Raton Pass, the Santa Fe Trail, Kansas City, and the Illinois Canals. If you haven't already done so, download the Amtrak Route Guide here.
I love the idea of the sightseer car. I definitely plan to spend some time up there. I hadn't heard of the Trails and Rails program, but that would be neat if one was offered. I like your idea of using it as an opportunity to cover some educational topics. What a fun way of teaching about those places.....on a train!

Other snack suggestions (some of these work better just BECAUSE there are 6 of you): canned tuna & smoked oysters, small rounds of cheese like Brie or wrapped wedges like Laughing Cow, bagels or french bread, dried fruit, almonds, wholegrain crackers, fresh fruit. There are paper towels in the restrooms to use for napkins. Since you are going to be on the same train the whole way, try bringing a gallon jug of water for each two people. Not too much to carry, and you will really appreciate not spending $4 per person, per day, just for water. There is drinking water in coach, but it may taste a little like iodine (which is how they keep it pure in the tanks). If you start to run a little low, you can always take your jug into a station stop and refill with tap water.
Another good idea. Jugs of water versus multiple water bottles. I knew I wanted to bring water on board, but with so many of us I wasn't sure how. It seemed like the water bottles alone were going to take up so much space. This could be a great alternative. Thanks! I also like the idea of bagels, and fresh fruit such as apples.

Not tuna, you will stink up the whole car!
LOL!! I can imagine how that would not make a person very popular among their fellow travelers. I'll spare everyone the agony and leave the tuna and other odorous foods at home. ;)

About the wipes - never flush them down the toilet. It could clog up the works for the entire coach.
Good to know. I wouldn't, but I'll make sure my kids know not to as well. I am thinking of getting some of the wipes that are sold in the home health care aisles of the drugstores. I am used to showering daily so going without one is going to be rough, but these will hopefully help us all feel a bit more fresh.

you can always take your jug into a station stop and refill with tap water.
I'd be careful with this. I imagine there are only a couple of stops that might give you time to do this. The train is not going to wait for you if you wander away from it.

There are two plug in's at each seat so no problem rechargeing things. I went prepaired with a power strip because I had heard the plugs may be recessed and hard to plug some things in....On the CZ I found that not to be true, never took the power strip out of my bag.

OKay, so I lied. Sorry, I said I had one more question but I thought of something else. I did some reading elsewhere and was informed that the trains can sometimes be late, very late, as in several hours late. We are meeting family when we arrive in Chicago at Union Station. I'm pretty sure no one here has a crystal ball and can predict exactly when our train will arrive, however baring any unforseen circumstances and based on previous history, does the SWC arrive in Chicago pretty much on time? Or is it more common for it to run late?

I'd be careful with this. I imagine there are only a couple of stops that might give you time to do this. The train is not going to wait for you if you wander away from it.
Hmmm, good point. I have read that if you get off at the stops, to be careful not to get left behind! I'm looking for an adventure, but trying to find a way to catch up to my family after being left behind at some small town train station might be a little too adventurous for me. lol

There are two plug in's at each seat so no problem rechargeing things. I went prepaired with a power strip because I had heard the plugs may be recessed and hard to plug some things in....On the CZ I found that not to be true, never took the power strip out of my bag.
Thank you! I think having a charged DVD player might be my saving grace once the kids tire of the scenery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back