First Time in a Roomette

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alang

Train Attendant
My wife and I, although California Zephyr veterans, will be in a Roomette on the CZ towards the end of the month. We will store our luggage in baggage area; however, does anyone have any suggestions regarding what to bring into the Roomette as I understand space is limited. Thank you!

Daughter #4 was shocked at the size of the roomette when we first boarded the EB.

"I'm going to spend five days in THAT???"

Needless to say, it was more than adequate, and we had a great time.

Each of us brought a bag (I had a briefcase) with our overnight stuff, a change of undies and a clean shirt. Basic toiletries (bring shampoo!), and some entertainment is all you need.

My briefcase fit under the seat pretty easily, but D4's bag needed some coaxing.

Screen Shot 2014-12-11 at 8.14.17 PM.png

We put our coats in the closet, and then we both bring a backpack with a change of clothes, toiletries, pajamas, prescriptions, books, and our laptops. We keep our suitcases on the lower level luggage rack.

You might also want to bring a power strip. We find it's handy, as there is only one outlet. We plug our phones and laptops into it and set it behind the table, near the window.

One backpack fits on the step to the upper bunk, and the other backpack fits under a seat. We've never had any space issues, but we're 5'9" and 5'6".

If we want to stretch out, one of us props our feet on the steps to the upper bunk, and the other puts their feet on the other person's seat. It's manageable.

If you find yourself feeling sort of closed-in, you can go to the lounge to hang out.

Once our computer, pillows, blankets, electronic stuff is out of our carry on duffle roller bag, I can easily squish it in the bottom of the endless closet, along with a kitchen sink, etc. :) It's amazing how much we can actually unload in our roomette and still stay organized. I keep a small cloth pack for changes of clothes, shower toiletries and magic eraser usually hanging on one of the coat hooks. We hang our headphones on yet another. Our larger suitcase is kept below for switching out clothes.

I usually just bring my Kit, Gadgets, Treats and a spare pair of shoes into the Roomette, leaving my change clothes downstairs in the Baggage area. There I can quickly root through my grip, pull the clothes I need to take into the shower and then pack up the dirty clothes.

You will be able to access your luggage in the lower level baggage area. I usually left my changes of clothes down there. The roomette had my toiletries, valuables and gadgets, etc. I do the same when in a bedroom as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Backpack for technology stuff, small bag for She Who Must Be Obeyed, check all but one piece of luggage and have the remaining one in the rack downstairs with clothes and of course my med bag, but that's another story,,,,,

Very comfortable , but I will freely admit being jealous that she gets the bottom bunk,,, not as spry as I used to be.

Relax, kickback, enjoy

Tonight will be my son's first night in a roomette (I've done them a handful of times). Fortunately we're on a quick trip, so we each just have a smallish bag and I have my CPAP machine. Since we're on the Crescent, everything will fit easily into the space over the hallway, which is the single greatest feature of the Viewliners.

I usually take some duct tape along to assist with air control on the overhead vent, and tie down things that rattle. No power strip, but I do bring an extension cord with 3 outlets on the end. For more than 1/2 nights I'd leave clothing changes in the big case in the vestibule.

I like to have some kind of GPS so I know where I am.

Tonight will be my son's first night in a roomette (I've done them a handful of times). Fortunately we're on a quick trip, so we each just have a smallish bag and I have my CPAP machine. Since we're on the Crescent, everything will fit easily into the space over the hallway, which is the single greatest feature of the Viewliners.
While the "cubbyhole" storage in a Viewliner Roomette is a nice feature, I think that the upper windows and the top bunk set up are the best features in Viewliner Roomettes!

Last edited by a moderator:
For all of Amtrak Roomettes, I have a hard-sided American Tourister one suit side bag, circa 1983, that fits nicely on the upper step to the upper bunk of a Superliner Roomette or on the arm of of the opposite seat in the Viewliner Roomette. Lots of extra space? No. But, one can cope quite well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back