First Time Auto Train Passenger: Last Minute Concerns. Additional Tips appreciated!

Discussion in 'Amtrak Rail Discussion' started by Dakota 400, Dec 8, 2019.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

1. Dec 8, 2019 #1

Dakota 400

D

Dakota 400

Conductor

Some time ago on this Forum, I was warned about a car's alarm system that could be activated during the trip because of the jostling of the car resulting in the car's battery being dead once arrival at the destination. I remain concerned about this.

I have a 2020 Buick Envision that will be making the trip. If I read the Owner's Manual correctly, when I unlock the car, the alarm system is deactivated and remains so until the car is again locked. I will need to leave the keyless device in the car for the car to be moved by the Amtrak staff, I realize that. Is that sufficient? Or is there something else I ought to try to do to insure that the alarm system is not activated during the trip. Most certainly, I don't want to arrive at Lorton with a car whose battery is dead!

Any other "last minute advice" anyone can offer for this, admittedly, nervous Auto Train customer?

2. Dec 8, 2019 #2

PVD

P

PVD

Conductor AU Supporter

check the manual carefully. almost every alarm has some provision for dealing with this type of scenario...

3. Dec 8, 2019 #3

lordsigma

l

lordsigma

OBS Chief

The crew will literally just shut the engine off and leave it as is with the keyless device in the car and the window down just in case it auto locks. So long as it does not reactivate/rearm itself after a delay you should be fine and I think if it’s a factory alarm a lot of cars have a menu where you can disable the auto locking if you are concerned about that. Given the amount of cars the auto train handles I would imagine they have a standard way they deal with the keyless fobs - probably put in a cup holder or something.

4. Dec 10, 2019 #4

Dakota 400

D

Dakota 400

Conductor

Thanks for your post. Tonight, I left the car unlocked for awhile and the alarm system did not activate. When I locked the car, the alarm system instantly activated. I'm becoming confident that the alarm system will not be an issue during the car's Auto Train journey. An instructional video that I viewed did recommend placing the keyless fob in a cup holder, which is what I will do before I turn the car over to Amtrak.

Going from a 2009 Buick to a 2020 Buick has been a learning experience with the new technology built into the car. Today, I learned about what to expect from two more of the car's advanced features and how to use them.

RSG likes this.
  5. Dec 11, 2019 #5

rickycourtney

rickycourtney

rickycourtney

Conductor

FWIW, *if* your battery dies (and it probably won't) because your alarm is going off, Amtrak's team can jump-start the car. Your battery will recharge as you drive it to your final destination.

The Auto Train crews have probably encountered every kind of problem you can think of (and many you can't!) and this is probably an easy fix that they regularly deal with.

Dakota 400 likes this.
  6. Dec 11, 2019 #6

Dakota 400

D

Dakota 400

Conductor

I appreciate your post! I tend to be a "worry wort" and try to find ways to alleviate my "worries". The more that I learn about my technology advanced new car, the more comfortable I am becoming with it.

7. Dec 11, 2019 #7

drdumont

drdumont

drdumont

Service Attendant AU Supporter

The Great (and may I add) SOVEREIGN State of TEXAS
    I had a Taurus with the factory alarm which had a bug. Sometimes it would arm itself, and would go off if the door was opened or the car was jostled. I left a note on the steering wheel about this, with instructions on how to shut it off, just in case.
    OBTW, the alarm should stop (I believe this is mandated) after a set period of time, saving the battery (and neighbors' nerves).
    When I got my car in Sanford, the note had a "Thanks!" scrawled on it. I thought that was cool.

Draft saved Draft deleted