First class lounge access

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Many thanks. BCL - I am unable to lift even my small luggage up there. I have never been in a situation, either on Greyhound or Amtrak, that someone wasn't willing to help me with this, but I don't count chickens before they hatch - it's just easier to check it. Thanks, I know this will help those who are able to lift...
I meant that there are floor-level baggage racks. I don't know about storing kids on the rack, but you can see that there's a lower-level to the storage area. I'm not sure if this is Amfleet II, but I believe there's at least something similar.

Amfleet IIs have more space for luggage in the end of the cars than the AM-Is, right? Thought I had read that somewhere.

I was thinking of the luggage area section in the floor plan. I havent been on Amfleet II equipment in 5 years, and we placed our baggage overhead.

Sorry to bug everyone about this trip again.

I started tracking arrival times at WAS for the Capitol Limited in July (trip is in August) and have seen that about half the time the CL arrives too late to catch the Silver Star. Should I have my ticket modified to take a later train? Will it cost me extra to do that?

All the other possibilities I looked at offer business class although I'm not sure the extra cost would be worth it for a 20-minute ride. I just basically don't want to have to scramble if I don't get to WAS in time. And actually a later arrival at ALX would work better for the person meeting me there.

I would just take a cab right to the friend's house in Fall's Church from Union Station. That would save yourself and the friend the agony of Amtrak's unpredictability.

Edit to add that I have actually taken the Capitol Limited to Washington to visit a relative in Falls Church, and we just rode Metro to Falls Church. The Capitol Limited was four hours late.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not just ditch Amtrak and take the Metro to King Street adjacent to the Amtrak Alexandria station, if the connection to the Star is missed?
Because I don't want to have to drag all my carryon stuff onto the Metro. And would I be entitled to the full refund if I canceled?

I would just take a cab right to the friend's house in Fall's Church from Union Station. That would save yourself and the friend the agony of Amtrak's unpredictability.

Edit to add that I have actually taken the Capitol Limited to Washington to visit a relative in Falls Church, and we just rode Metro to Falls Church. The Capitol Limited was four hours late.
That's a possibility, the cab ride. And they have Lyft at WAS too, right? Will I take a hit on the cancellation of my ticket?

I get an estimate of $30 to $60 for cab fare, depending on traffic. Lyft might be as cheap as $20. There may be a penalty for cancelation of the trip from WAS to ALX, but the fare is small anyway.

I get an estimate of $30 to $60 for cab fare, depending on traffic. Lyft might be as cheap as $20. There may be a penalty for cancelation of the trip from WAS to ALX, but the fare is small anyway.
Okay - thanks for your help!

You could modify to a later train, or you could hold onto it and go to the ticket counter at Union Station (or possibly ClubAcela; I can't remember if they can modify tickets or not) if the connection is missed. There would be no charge for that change if done after a missed connection.

If you miss the connection and don't want to wait in line to rebook your ticket, or you just want to cancel that segment entirely, I'd suggest taking VRE if the timetable allows versus Metro. On weekday afternoons they have relatively frequent trains to Alexandria, and the full-fare ticket is $7. I don't believe there's luggage racks, but there wouldn't be a transfer like there would be on Metrorail and there may be more room for luggage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back