Ferries, Ferries, and still more Ferries

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, longer and heavier, but lower capacity. The real monsters are ferries like the ones running Norway to Denmark on Color Lines in Europe, they carry way less passengers, but huge numbers of cars and big trucks. They have cabins, bars, restaurants, and entertainment, not bench seating. The 2 biggest are almost 75000 tons, but they are doing trips almost a full day long and pull 20kts.

Over the years I've had the opportunity to use ferries and coastal ships for travel---in many cases in conjunction with a rail trip.

NORTH AMERICA:

1) Alaska State Ferries: two trips. Seattle to Skagway connecting with the WP&Y to Whitehorse. Sitka to Skagway also connecting with the WP&Y (later returned to Juneau by ferry from Skagway)

2) Washington State Ferries: various trips

3) Black Ball Ferry Line: Port Angeles to Victoria

4) BC ferries: Tsawwassen to Swartz Bay

5) Princess of Vancouver: Nanaimo to N. Vancouver? [Rode in conjunction with an RDC trip on Vancouver Island]

6) SS Santa Mariana (Delta Lines)-- not a ferry but a cargo/passenger freighter. Flew from Bay Area to Seattle; Amtrak to Tacoma. Boarded ship in Tacoma. Sailed from Tacoma through Puget Sound and down the Pacific Coast to San Francisco. Rode SP commuter train home to Sunnyvale CA, where I was living at the time.

7) SS Badger--- Manitowoc to Ludington overnight

8) Staten Island ferries

9) Galveston Island ferry-- Galveston to Port Bolivar

10) Canal St ferry and Jackson St ferry--in New Orleans

EUROPE:

1) MS Vesteralen (Bergen Lines/ Hurtigruten)-- Bergen to Bodo [Return to Oslo by train]

2) DFDS ferry-- Copenhagen to Oslo

3) DB and DSB ferries--- various ones from Germany to Denmark to Sweden before the bridges were built. Trains were loaded onto the ferries!

3) Stena Line?--Hoek of Holland to Harwich with rail connections at both ends

4) Holyhead (Wales) to Dun Laoghaire ferry connection to the Irish Mail

5) Rosslare(Ireland) to Le Havre ferry with rail connections at both ends

6) Kyle of Lochalsh to Isle of Skye and then Isle of Skye to Mallaig (two ferries)

Over the years I've had the opportunity to use ferries and coastal ships for travel---in many cases in conjunction with a rail trip.

NORTH AMERICA:

1) Alaska State Ferries: two trips. Seattle to Skagway connecting with the WP&Y to Whitehorse. Sitka to Skagway also connecting with the WP&Y (later returned to Juneau by ferry from Skagway)

2) Washington State Ferries: various trips

3) Black Ball Ferry Line: Port Angeles to Victoria

4) BC ferries: Tsawwassen to Swartz Bay

5) Princess of Vancouver: Nanaimo to N. Vancouver? [Rode in conjunction with an RDC trip on Vancouver Island]

6) SS Santa Mariana (Delta Lines)-- not a ferry but a cargo/passenger freighter. Flew from Bay Area to Seattle; Amtrak to Tacoma. Boarded ship in Tacoma. Sailed from Tacoma through Puget Sound and down the Pacific Coast to San Francisco. Rode SP commuter train home to Sunnyvale CA, where I was living at the time.

7) SS Badger--- Manitowoc to Ludington overnight

8) Staten Island ferries

9) Galveston Island ferry-- Galveston to Port Bolivar

10) Canal St ferry and Jackson St ferry--in New Orleans

EUROPE:

1) MS Vesteralen (Bergen Lines/ Hurtigruten)-- Bergen to Bodo [Return to Oslo by train]

2) DFDS ferry-- Copenhagen to Oslo

3) DB and DSB ferries--- various ones from Germany to Denmark to Sweden before the bridges were built. Trains were loaded onto the ferries!

3) Stena Line?--Hoek of Holland to Harwich with rail connections at both ends

4) Holyhead (Wales) to Dun Laoghaire ferry connection to the Irish Mail

5) Rosslare(Ireland) to Le Havre ferry with rail connections at both ends

6) Kyle of Lochalsh to Isle of Skye and then Isle of Skye to Mallaig (two ferries)
That's a nice collection...surprised you did not include the Hornblower San Francisco ferries, so close to your home....
default_smile.png

Actually, longer and heavier, but lower capacity. The real monsters are ferries like the ones running Norway to Denmark on Color Lines in Europe, they carry way less passengers, but huge numbers of cars and big trucks. They have cabins, bars, restaurants, and entertainment, not bench seating. The 2 biggest are almost 75000 tons, but they are doing trips almost a full day long and pull 20kts.
I hadn't noticed the new ferries are actually longer, and heavier...thanks for pointing that out. Wonder why that is, if they are carrying less...were the Barberi class perhaps considered 'overloaded' at full capacity?

Those big Euro ferries are almost like ocean liner's...some even go overnite, and offer staterooms.

The largest ship I was on, that at one time did carry a few cars in its "garage", was the now retired RMS QE2. It was close to 70000 GRT. It is now serving as a hotel in Dubai.

Railiner: Yep, I forgot the San Francisco Bay ferries: SF to Sausalito and SF to Angel Island.

I forget who the operator was. It was the late 70s and early 80s when I lived in the South Bay Area.

In July 1957, I rode the Alaska ferry from Juneau to Haines which was shortly after service was started.

Since then I have risen the following routes:

Bellingham, Wash. to Ketchikan

Ketchikan to Juneau

Juneau to Skagway

Homer to Unalaska (Dutch Harbor)

The ultimate Alaska State Ferry trip is the one that leaves from Seward or Homer out to various ports along the Aleutians. It's on my to-do list.

The ultimate Alaska State Ferry trip is the one that leaves from Seward or Homer out to various ports along the Aleutians. It's on my to-do list.
You can catch it from Homer or Kosinski. I recommend going from Homer after you tour the Kensington Peninsula. Plan to spend some time in Homer. It is a beautiful place and the halibut fishing is great.

The Toronto Islands.....are pedestrian only and linked by three ferry routes from downtown Toronto.

https://goo.gl/maps/pR7FotouTq12

A couple of weeks ago there was a Dragon Boat Festival on the Islands and the Ferries were packed.

The 108 year old Trillium arrives at Centre Island with an equally loaded Sam McBride operating as a 'Second Section' right behind.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2017/05/07/trillium-ferry-gets-tuned-up-after-107-years-spent-on-torontos-waterfront.html

The McBride immediately returns to the mainland empty for another load.

20180616_124250.jpg

20180616_124346.jpg

20180616_124414.jpg

20180616_125518.jpg

Heres some shots from last evening..... arriving in North Sydney, Nova Scotia from Newfoundland. We had to hold while Marine Atlantics 'Atlantic Vision'......backed out and turned in front of us then followed Holland Americas 'Rotterdam' out of the harbour. We then docked alongside another Marine Atlantic ferry.....the 'Leif Ericson' which had just made the news earlier that day for the sea rescue of 3 fisherman.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/we-koqma-q-fishing-boat-sinks-fire-marine-atlantic-rescue-1.4818436

20180911_180733.jpg

20180911_181050.jpg

20180911_181558.jpg

20180911_181905.jpg

20180911_182003.jpg

NS VIA Fan---

Great shot, as usual...thanks for posting them...

I sailed on the MS Rotterdam (VI), twice thru there...back before they "improved" her with that ugly addition to her stern...

Another Sidney on the other side of Canada... I traveled by Washington State Ferries to meet up with my sister and cousin in Victoria. They had taken the train and Victoria Clipper from Portland. We had hoped to work in a visit for them to the San Juans, but the ferries connecting back from Sidney to the islands run late at night and they would have needed to leave first thing the next morning.

This is the MV Chelan pulling into the dock at Sidney, BC, on September 5. I will board and travel to Friday Harbor, then wait three hours and catch another boat home. Built in 1981, this ferry is part of the Issaquah class of six vessels, which were initially plagued with problems of unexpectedly leaving the dock or crashing into it. The vessel was modified to have second car decks on the side tunnels, and to comply with Canadian Safety of Life at Sea standards for the international run. It also has a small duty-free shop.

IMG_7344.jpg

I have taken the BC Ferry from Tsawwassen to Swartz Bay, aboard a Pacific Coach Lines bus enroute from Vancouver to Victoria. A very scenic trip. I also have take the Clipper from Victoria to Seattle. I have yet to take the Black Ball "Coho" between Port Angeles and Victoria....some day....

But the most memorable trip was on the Princess Marguerite (with a stateroom!), from Seattle to Victoria...
default_cool.png
default_smile.png

Marine Atlantic's 'Blue Puttees' enters the harbour at Port-aux-Basques, Newfoundland (pronounced like Port O Bask).....at 6:30am after a 7 hour overnight crossing from North Sydney NS.

Capacity:

Lane Length: 2.8 km or 1.7 miles for 570 cars or 190 trucks

1000 passengers

96 Cabins with 290 berths

20180909_065559.jpg

20180909_065740.jpg

20180909_065758.jpg

20180909_065842.jpg

20180909_065949.jpg

The 'Blue Puttees' is named for a Newfoundland Regiment serving in WWI (Newfoundland was a Dominion and not part of Canada until 1949)

20180911_141131.jpg

Back