Ferries, Ferries, and still more Ferries

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds great, but it would be nice if the Marine Atlantic Argentia ferry could make a call there along its route...I suppose it would be too big for the dock there....

That would really open up those islands to tourism....

Last edited by a moderator:
We are going to have a difficult tourist season with the ferries. The Yakima is running at reduced speeds due to a bent propellor, which cannot be repaired until September. And then things such as this happen:

http://komonews.com/news/local/ferry-yakima-stranded-at-anacortes-dock-for-hours-by-jammed-truck
Read that article...

I wonder if there is a design flaw in the bridge that the truck got stuck on due to tides, or if the truck was not inspected to assure it met required clearance's before being allowed aboard?

We are going to have a difficult tourist season with the ferries. The Yakima is running at reduced speeds due to a bent propellor, which cannot be repaired until September. And then things such as this happen:

http://komonews.com/news/local/ferry-yakima-stranded-at-anacortes-dock-for-hours-by-jammed-truck
Read that article...

I wonder if there is a design flaw in the bridge that the truck got stuck on due to tides, or if the truck was not inspected to assure it met required clearance's before being allowed aboard?
That bridge has loaded thousands of trucks at far more extreme tides. I think the trailer did not have proper clearances--if you look carefully at the trailer in the picture, you can see it is very low. It was some kind of weird "medical imaging" trailer.

Read that article...I wonder if there is a design flaw in the bridge that the truck got stuck on due to tides, or if the truck was not inspected to assure it met required clearance's before being allowed aboard?
That bridge has loaded thousands of trucks at far more extreme tides. I think the trailer did not have proper clearances--if you look carefully at the trailer in the picture, you can see it is very low. It was some kind of weird "medical imaging" trailer..
The truck involved was probably worth almost half the monetary value of the ship itself. MRI machine; say, around $14-$18 million or so.
As a result, you are darned sure they were going to accommodate not damaging the truck, no matter how inconvenient the delay to the already loaded passengers. And yeah, heavy, oversized and non-standard shaped trailer. Not your normal load at all. I'm willing to say the fault is a combination or the driver, with the majority landing on the shoulders of the Washington State ferry loadmaster.

Read that article...

That bridge has loaded thousands of trucks at far more extreme tides. I think the trailer did not have proper clearances--if you look carefully at the trailer in the picture, you can see it is very low. It was some kind of weird "medical imaging" trailer.

So in that case, they should have not allowed the truck to be loaded aboard...or...the driver should have been aware of the lack of clearance...

Whatever, the hope is that all can learn from that, and take whatever steps necessary to prevent recurrence...

It's already been mentioned back on a 2013 post, but my favorite Ferry is the SS Badger across Lake Michigan. Have taken it several times now, it's a nice crossing. Took a loop around the Great Lakes a few years back, and even took the bike for a boat ride!

13528958_10210149656042375_4132712712183251143_n.jpg

I sailed on her back when she was still operated by the C&O Ry. Took the overnight run in a stateroom. They used to heavily advertise in the AAA tour books. Probably still do.

I was looking at recent online photo's, and I see she still has the RR tracks in her car deck. I saw a picture of a model of her original configuration. I wonder when they enclosed the bridge wings?

My favorite ferry has to be the (Barberi Class) Staten Island Ferry. I love the route, I love the look, and I love that it's the largest ferry in the world.
Staten_island_ferry_2.jpg

It may be the largest in terms of maximum passengers carried, an incredible 6,000+ in the 'rush hour', but it's no match in size for some of the huge ferry's that operate in Europe, that are more like ocean liner's.

It may be the largest in terms of maximum passengers carried, an incredible 6,000+ in the 'rush hour', but it's no match in size for some of the huge ferry's that operate in Europe, that are more like ocean liner's.
Is it actually larger than Star Ferry in Hong Kong that runs between Victoria (Central) and Kowloon (Tsim Sha Tsui)?
Looks like Star Ferry carried something like 8,000 to 10,000 more per day than Staten Island Ferry. And Star Ferry is not even free. It can be paid for using their own token or the Octopus Card at the entry turnstiles.

My favorite ferry has to be the (Barberi Class) Staten Island Ferry. I love the route, I love the look, and I love that it's the largest ferry in the world.
And it's still Free!!!!
Yep, that certainly doesn't hurt!
default_wink.png
It is free for walk-on passengers to travel within the San Juan Islands on Washington State Ferries. Except on weekends during the winter quarter schedule, there is one vessel which sails an exclusively interisland route.

Is it actually larger than Star Ferry in Hong Kong that runs between Victoria (Central) and Kowloon (Tsim Sha Tsui)?
Looks like Star Ferry carried something like 8,000 to 10,000 more per day than Staten Island Ferry. And Star Ferry is not even free. It can be paid for using their own token or the Octopus Card at the entry turnstiles.
The Barberi Class I believe are the largest single boats in capacity....Star Ferry carries more per day total of all its boats...

The Barberi Class I believe are the largest single boats in capacity....Star Ferry carries more per day total of all its boats...
They might be physically smaller than some cruise ships, but it definitely has (I think significantly) greater passenger capacity than anything else on the water.

I agree with that, as far as ferry's go. The big Euro ferry's only carry about 2100 passengers, plus auto's.

The most souls on board currently must go to the Royal Caribbean mega cruise ships of the 'Oasis' class. They carry over 6.000 passenger,s plus a couple of thousand more in crew.

But the all time record, goes to the RMS Queen Mary, when serving as a troop ship during World War II, carrying 16,683 troops, plus crew!

Back