Fare Increases

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

niemi24s

Engineer
[If this has been reported elsewhere, moderators please delete this thread.]

While doing a periodic spot check today of fares for three trains using AmSnag (thanks, Paul), the following was noticed:

• Coach fares for the EB, SS and SM remain the same as previously reported.

• Roomette upcharge increases for the EB were about 1.7% and about 2.1% for the SS and SM.

• No difference was seen in the SS or SM Roomette upcharges due to any possible changes in meal service beginning 1 Oct 2019.

Last edited:
I noted the bi-annual fare increase a couple weeks ago when I booked a trip on Acela.
I think "bi-annual fare increase" may be an oversimplication. For the sixteen LD trains, six increases in Coach and Roomette fares have been seen at intervals of 3, 4 or 13 months since I began monitoring them in October, 2015.

Maybe the Acela train fares increase on a regular basis, but those for the LD trains don't - at least in my experience.

Maybe the Acela train fares increase on a regular basis, but those for the LD trains don't - at least in my experience.

Ignoring the temporary 'sale' that ends today or very soon, it would appear that the prices for Acelas have recently jumped significantly. The two NHV-WAS round trip tickets I've bought in the past couple of months have jumped from $135 low-bucket a month or so out to $180 as the low bucket at present. The 'sale' prices for Acela tickets (saver fare) at $117 for NHV are/were very few and far between...like 4-5 departures per month according to Amsnag. In most cases, the saver fares were 'sold out'.

As much as I am not thrilled at the 33% price hike, it makes good business sense as if one can consistently sell out inventory of an item, then raise the price until you find what the market will bear. At $180 a shot, they'll definitely be seeing less of me on the Acela. But then, Anderson has to pay for the new Acela II trains somehow.

I mean, the Acelas are still slammed up against that price/capacity "corner" they've been in for the better part of a decade (since Amtrak opted to not buy additional cars). If Amtrak can fill the existing seats at those prices and can't add more seats, that's kinda what they have to do.

I specifically noted the increase in the FC upgrade fee.
For Southbound Acelas between BOS and WAS, the difference between each of their five BC and FC buckets (FC upgrade fee?) is currently a constant $159 for travel next week. This translates to 15% to 49% higher for FC.

But as a yokel from the upper mid-west I never had any interest in travel on the NEC and have no idea what the previous dollar value of the "FC upgrade fee" actually was.

Q: How much was it?

For Southbound Acelas between BOS and WAS, the difference between each of their five BC and FC buckets (FC upgrade fee?) is currently a constant $159 for travel next week. This translates to 15% to 49% higher for FC.

But as a yokel from the upper mid-west I never had any interest in travel on the NEC and have no idea what the previous dollar value of the "FC upgrade fee" actually was.

Q: How much was it?
I believe it was $152 previously.

Back