Expert Advice Please (re Thanksgiving travel)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snljamie0518

Service Attendant
Hey train experts who have better info than Google.

What are the trains like during the holiday season like around Thanksgiving? Are they always booked even for the people with disabilities & their companion?

What happens when it snows? Can the train keep going in the snow?

Which route would be better? I would be traveling from Denver to Orlando. Would going through Denver to Chicago through NYC to Savannah & then Orlando be best or the Denver to Chicago to Washington DC to Orlando be better?

Well, hello and welcome!

First let me say that any advise we offer here may or may not be accurate or useful for any given situation. Amtrak is that inconsistent.

First, with regards to the holidays, it's the busiest time of the year. Like any other service, when things get crazy busy, service suffers. That being said, of your disabilities are explained from the moment of reservation, the best chance of accommodation can be met.

Weather... Amtrak tends to be less susceptible to weather extremes than flying. But there will be delays in high temps, low temps, and heavy snow. Plan for the worst, hope for the best.

You're looking at a three night trip each way. Are you looking to stop in the locations you mentioned? For example, you mention Savannah, but that's not really a connection point. There are three trains to get you to Orlando from Denver:

Denver - Chicago on the California Zephyr
Chicago - Washington DC on the Capitol Limited or Cardinal *or* NYP on the Lakeshore Limitee
WAS - Orlando on the Silver Star or Meteor

The fastest would be Zephyr, Capitol, Meteor. The most scenic would be the Cardinal in place of the Capitol, but it is considerably slower. Depending on whether you want sleeper accommodations (remember, three nights!), the Silver Star between DC and Orlando doesn't have diner service included in the fare like the Meteor does, so it could be a few dollars cheaper.

Taking the Lakeshore from Chicago to NYP just adds an unnecessary few hours that are neither particularly scenic nor more cost effective. Unless, of course, you would rather spend a bit of time in New York City vs DC.

My hunch at the moment is that much of your trip could already be sold out. You should be able to see on Amtrak.com all the available routes. Will be happy to give you more help as you find itinerarie that work and talk through the pros and cons.

Without adding any additional overnights, the best routing is from Denver to Chicago on train 6, Chicago to WAS on 30, and WAS to ORL on either 97 or 91. I believe Amtrak will provide routing on either the SIlver Meteor (97) or Silver Star (91) from WAS to ORL. The connection to 91 is tighter than the 97 connection. The current sleeper fare likely will be less on 91 because meals are not included. I have made the 91 connection in the past, but feel more comfortable with 97.

With regard to the assessible rooms, there is only one in each sleeper car and they tend to get booked early. It may be a little late to book an H room for this Thanksgiving, and it is too early to book for Thanksgiving 2020.

OP doesn't say whether going coach or sleeper...if going coach, more likely to get accessible seating at this date....

Currently, if you book for Sunday, Nov 24 you will reach Orlando on Wed, Nov 27 via CZ(6) - CL(30) - SS(91) or CZ(6) - CL(30) - SM(97) it looks like the H room is still available

Without adding any additional overnights, the best routing is from Denver to Chicago on train 6, Chicago to WAS on 30, and WAS to ORL on either 97 or 91. I believe Amtrak will provide routing on either the SIlver Meteor (97) or Silver Star (91) from WAS to ORL. The connection to 91 is tighter than the 97 connection. The current sleeper fare likely will be less on 91 because meals are not included. I have made the 91 connection in the past, but feel more comfortable with 97.

With regard to the assessible rooms, there is only one in each sleeper car and they tend to get booked early. It may be a little late to book an H room for this Thanksgiving, and it is too early to book for Thanksgiving 2020.

We are not booking a room because it is going to be too tight for my husbands power chair. We will be in coach. He will be staying in his chair & I will be in a seat. I will also be having my vpap machine & be using that during the night because if I don't use it, I will be keeping other passengers awake with my snoring. I have sleep apnea.

Just my opinion, but given your description of the conditions of you and your husband, I think that this will be a really really long and uncomfortable trip for both of you in coach. If the HC bedroom really won't work for you, I'd suggest reconsidering either flying or hiring a car.

Interesting to see the handicapped room is too small for the power chair.

I would prove it by showing you a picture of my husband in his power chair but I don't know how to post a photo from my cell phone on here. He needs enough room to turn around & from what we have seen in the layout & in a YouTube video, the room looks tight.

Just my opinion, but given your description of the conditions of you and your husband, I think that this will be a really really long and uncomfortable trip for both of you in coach. If the HC bedroom really won't work for you, I'd suggest reconsidering either flying or hiring a car.

We are not going to fly because I am not too keen on flying. Coach in AMTRAK has a lot of leg room & I can get up & walk around if I want/need to. We also want to see scenery. If the train is on time, we will have a layover in Chicago. My husband's niece lives in Chicago so we would visit with her & the family. I have taken the train with my Vpap before & it doesn't make any noise.

I use a CPAP machine and I will agree, today's machines do not make any noises that would disturb others. However, I can go a couple days without using it with no ill effects.

Like you said, if I don't use it and sleep in coach, I might keep others awake - but I will sleep just fine.

Back