Enough Time between Two Trains?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodcut60

Lead Service Attendant
Anyone on this excellent Forum who has experience of riding the southbound Adirondack?

I would love to take the train from Montréal to Rutland. The Adirondack arrives in Fort Edward-Glens Falls at 4:16 PM and the Ethan Allen Express leaves Fort Edward-Glens Falls at 7:10 PM.

My question: I’ve checked the on-time performance of the Adirondack and it’s OK, not good, not bad either. Will those three hours between the two trains be enough time? Or is it better to be safe and check in at a hotel in Fort Edward-Glens Falls and not take any risks?

When booking Montreat-to-Rutland , Amtrak shows the transfer at Saratoga Springs with a 2hr 5min layover as a guaranteed connection, so you should be OK with a 3 hour layover.

That's more of a connection time, vs. the time I see for a connection from the southbound Adirondack to the westbound Lake Shore Limited at Albany-Rensselaer. I think you should be fine, if you want to do such a train trip.

Juckins.net said that the 68(southbound Adirondack) to 291(northbound Ethan Allen Express) only missed the connection on 3 occasions out of 166 in 2017, or just 2% of the time. So I'd say you have extremely almost positive odds, that you won't have a problem making this connection in Fort Edward-Glens Falls. https://juckins.net/amtrak_status/archive/html/connections.php?a_train_num=68&c_train_num=291&station=fed&date_start=01%2F01%2F2017&date_end=08%2F08%2F2017&df1=1&df2=1&df3=1&df4=1&df5=1&df6=1&df7=1&sort_dir=DESC&dfon=1

Last edited by a moderator:
FED is my home station. While it may be nice in warmer weather, you have only a bench to wait on outside. The station building is privately owned, not open and the station is unstaffed. You never know if it will rain, snow or be cold.

I'd recommend switching at Saratoga, which is staffed. It's only about 25 minutes south and the next station.

Back